Home
100% Merino wool long sleeve T-shirts at Costco in Abbotsford, BC for $19.95. True North brand, made in Canada. Very comfortable, thin, light material. I bought one last night as a test, wore it overnight, and will be back by the time they open this morning to by more. cool

I won't be far behind you......
I better check the Ontario Costcos.
I bought 4 of them, they compare very favourable with the $90 one I bought a few months ago at Cabela's.
What was wrong with it? Not warm? Already falling apart?
I bought 4 as well! so far Im very pleased with them and as a bonus made in Canada cool
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
What was wrong with it? Not warm? Already falling apart?

?

Nothing wrong with the Costco True North shirts. Very comfortable to wear overnight. I went back and bought more.

Just a question. I have been reading about how to REALLY stay warm and when it comes to wool, Marino wool is prefered. Is it warmer than other wool. I know there are othere types of wool but don't know the difference. Also, 20 bucks for a shirt and I would be there too. An underAemour is about 75 bucks around here.
No one has mentioned drawers.
I'd think they would be just as warm?
Originally Posted by ihookem
Just a question. I have been reading about how to REALLY stay warm and when it comes to wool, Marino wool is prefered. Is it warmer than other wool. I know there are othere types of wool but don't know the difference. Also, 20 bucks for a shirt and I would be there too. An underAemour is about 75 bucks around here.

I'm no expert on Merino but here goes my understanding based on moderate experience: Merino wool is comfortable wearing next to skin. It has the advantages of wool without the discomfort of most wool. Others may have better explanation.

Wab... yes, I'd buy Merino bottoms, long or short, if Costco brings out the rest of the ensemble. laugh FWIW, I stopped at Cabela's north of Seattle today and their Merino wool long sleeve T's (with a short neck zipper) were $154 for a two tone "comfort zone" version and a cheaper simple version was on sale for $100.

I bought some drawers/bottoms, on ebay. I'm not sure about the overall quality. I have about $23 in them.
the only difference between merino wool and other wool is not warmth but comfort. Merino tends not to be itchy. Durability and warmth is similar to other wool.
FWIW,checked my local Costco last night and the only "merino" in stock is something like 11% and made in Cambodia. I'll be keeping an eye out for the good stuff and will jump on some when/if it arrives, thanks.
I think you are talking about the "paradox" range. I bought there leggings and find them fine and better than they other pair that I have (dont know the make).
Good to know, though I'll hold off for a higher wool content since I don't need them til next hunting season.
Okanagan;
Thank you kindly for the heads up on the Merino shirts.

While we are without a Costco membership in our house, a couple of co-workers have them so when one of our Lead Hands headed up to Kelowna for some Christmas shopping I got him to pick one up for me.

I'm wearing it as I type and if possible I do believe I'll have my Co-Manager pick me up a couple more if the Kelowna store doesn't run out.

Thanks again for the tip on a very comfortable and warm(timely that! wink ) shirt sir.

All the best to you and yours in the Christmas season Okanagan, as always you folks remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Dwayne
Iam in the same boat as Dwayne, no membership so had my co-worker pick me up one. I also will be buying some more given the opportunity.
i`ll have to check that out.

norm
Yes, after reading Okanagans and other posters comments on the merino blend undershirt I hurried over to Costco in Edmonton and picked up 2 pairs. One medium one large. I need the large one I will exchange the medium and get another 2. This stuf really works.
This morning I had a good opportunity testing it shovelling last nights dump.
Usually I am sweaty when I come in. Not today. Still bone dry and warm. Not itchy or scratchy and ultra light. They are sold under the paradox brand.The blend is 84% polyester, 11% merino wool and 5% spandex. Wash in cold water. Do not leave Costco without it!
Thanks for the tip okanagan!
Originally Posted by shrike
Yes, after reading Okanagans and other posters comments on the merino blend undershirt I hurried over to Costco in Edmonton and picked up 2 pairs. One medium one large. I need the large one I will exchange the medium and get another 2. This stuf really works.
This morning I had a good opportunity testing it shovelling last nights dump.
Usually I am sweaty when I come in. Not today. Still bone dry and warm. Not itchy or scratchy and ultra light. They are sold under the paradox brand.The blend is 84% polyester, 11% merino wool and 5% spandex. Wash in cold water. Do not leave Costco without it!
Thanks for the tip okanagan!

Those are a bit different than from our Costco.... we bought a Canadian made by True North brand and it is 100% Merino wool.
If you put one of ours on and close your eyes you can almost hear the Sheep bleating as its being sheared....
Does it give off an odor like an old ram? whistle
So, how would the merino compare to polypropylene, or thermax?
wabigoon;
I've tried some of the first polypropylene stuff that came out and while it did keep me warm, it began to smell increasingly worse and nothing I washed it with made it smell better.

Eventually I figured if I could smell myself coming, it was less than optimal for hunting garments.... blush

I've tried some of the Walmart knock off of Under Armor stuff and it works great for me as long as I don't sweat - then I freeze in it. Unfortunately I sweat like an overweight horse with it's winter coat in hot October weather. frown

For me, wool and pure wool at that, represents the best compromise for keeping me moderately warm after I sweat.

I can't really say that Merino is any better than other wool - I suspect it might be like Angus beef in that it's a good marketing strategy, but anyway this Canadian made Merino stuff from Costco does work for me so far.

All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Dwayne

Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Does it give off an odor like an old ram? whistle

No..... but I do....
Pat,
This is good stuff. Warm, very well finished and light weight
Made in Cambodia so we only pay $19.99 for it. Same made here with union wages, double or triple. Works for me.
They're made in Canada wink
Any idea just where in Canada?
Looks like it's produced in Burnaby.

http://www.coapparel.ca/index.php

Warren
The advantage of Merino wool is that it has very fine fibres.

The Merino sheep is an Australian invention to deliver the most wool, of the finest fibre available. I remember seeing a documentary on TV, the top grade wool producers keep their sheep inside, with coats on, to ensure the fleece remains ultrafine and without blemishes (like seeds). The price they were getting for the wool was outrageous, most being sold into Italy for top grade womens clothing.

The Merino wool shirts will be cool to wear in summer too - my Merino wool suits are light and drape well, warm in winter and surprisingly cool in summer.
Adamjp;
Thanks to you and fuzzyone for the information on the wool and where the garments are made.

I'm wearing one of the made in Canada True North shirts as I type and I can't say enough about how comfortable they are in this weather. So far I've managed to get 3 of them and I couldn't be more satisfied.

Oh, I should note that the hang tag says it's made from Australian Merino wool. I'm not sure we have much of a wool industry here in Canada really?

Thanks again to both of you for the links and information and all the best to you both in 2014.

Regards,
Dwayne
One of you gentlemen should post a picture of these fabled undershirts.
wabigoon;
The things I don't get myself talked into for the sake of the 'Fire, eh? wink

As I'm off work today anyway and the "magic wood box" has now magically filled itself already today....

As per your request sir.

An example of the True North shirt.
[Linked Image]

Proof of origin.
[Linked Image]

The colors I've got - there are more I'm told.
[Linked Image]

All the best in 2014 to you and your fine family wabigoon.

Dwayne
That looks to be a fair weight Dwayne.
I suppose a picture of the fabled "Magic wood box", would be totally out of the question?
I've never seen a magic wood box.
How do they work?
wabigoon;
Of course sir the magic wood box is as much myth as the magic dishes that wash themselves after a meal.

It was only an offhanded comment I made to my wife this morning over coffee before she headed into work.

I mentioned that I'd fill the magic wood box today and she said she appreciated that it magically stayed full over the winter.

This isn't meant as a complaint towards anyone though wabigoon, more of an inside family joke as to the division of tasks and labor at our place is all.

For instance I don't mind cooking and do so 4 days a week, but don't really prefer to do laundry, so my clothes get magically washed when I stick them into a laundry basket in the same way the magic wood box worked - or so I imagine anyway. wink

In the category of "never too old to learn" though, the eldest and I cut a load of spruce firewood this year to see if it works better for starting the fires - larch can be testy to get going sometimes.

The magic wood box is full of split spruce kindling sticks 1�"x1�"x12" or so and my goodness do they get a nice bed of coals going quickly and with much less fuss than larch or Doug fir.

There will definitely be a load of spruce cut for kindling/magic wood box purposes again this summer wabigoon.

Who'd a thunk it'd work so well? grin

Have a good last day of 2013 wabigoon.

Dwayne
Thank you for the explanation Dwayne.
Don't forget I'm only a cheechako. These things are new to me.

Your comment about laundry, reminds me of the notion that the miners in the gold rush of 1849 thought washing clothes was women's work. They hated doing laundry worse than anything else.
The Chinese would do most any honest work, and were as happy to earn the money, as the miners were to avoid the task.
Hence, the stereotype Chinese laundry.
The $19.95 costco item sold under the paradox brand in the Edmonton store, is made in Cambodia.
I did not see the True North brand. Well I better make another trip out there.
I found the True North brand at the local Costco today. It was on one of the tables, not boxed up with the t-shirts, etc.

Seeing as this thread seems to loud the use of Merino, I was bought, as a stocking filler, some Merino wool socks from "Zehrs" they as I remember were tagged as work socks and were 60% Merino wool, for the princely sum of $6 a pair. I also managed to snag 2 more true north shirts!!
UKdave;
Belated Happy New Year to you sir, hopefully this finds you and yours well.

I've really liked the Kirkland brand Merino socks from Costco - I live in steel toed boots at work.

We got some for our eldest daughter for stocking stuffers as her work requires steel toed boots as well and so far she's really liking them too.

Anyway, hopefully that's useful information for you or someone out there seeking warmer feet this January morning.

All the best to you and yours in 2014 sir.

Regards,
Dwayne
I bought one and tried it on. The neck opening is quite large. I have been using some zip-Ts from MEC. They work great and what I am used to. If these had come out 10 years ago, I'd probably be all over them. Now I am set in my ways.
I managed to pick up one from Costco to try, liked it, when I went back to buy a couple more they were sold out.
Go back and check again. Lots at Calgary on the weekend.
Originally Posted by AB2506
Go back and check again. Lots at Calgary on the weekend.

Which store were you at if you don't mind?
Cross Iron Mills at Balzac.
Man o man I spend $35 on a pair of Merino socks at campers village a few years ago. G
© 24hourcampfire