Home
Posted By: hillbillybear Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
No offense but this cold we are getting from the Great White North just plain sucks.

How about some of you all come down here and get this Alberta Clipper weather system and put his ass back in the corral and don't forget to close the gate this time.

Posted By: tangozulu Re: Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
I agree it sucks, the cold weather usually get in the Yukon generaly comes from ALASKA. Just passing it on. Actually pretty warm in the north right now.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
Consider the Colorado low.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Consider the Colorado low.

It sucks too.
A Colorado low started the storm that sunk the Edmund Fitzgerald.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
Told ya they sucked too.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
Cold? What cold? This is just winter. Don't you know how good for the planet this is?
Well, a lot of North America is in cold storage for sure.
They use to say, "It's an ill wind, that blow nobody good."
Posted By: catnthehat Re: Hey Canadians - 01/05/14
-33 today up here, that's like -27F for you southern folks.
The diesel had a bit of a time starting this morning, and I had to pull the ear flaps down - any colder and I'll have to put on a heavy coat!!
Cat
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
Originally Posted by catnthehat
-33 today up here, that's like -27F for you southern folks.
The diesel had a bit of a time starting this morning, and I had to pull the ear flaps down - any colder and I'll have to put on a heavy coat!!
Cat

That is just too much of a good thing.

I can remember it dropping to -26F here once back in the late 1970's - early 1980's. It was BRUTAL.

I have been out working in -10 to -15F a few times and I really don't like it much
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
I like your style, cat and grouseman. Winter is winter. Deal with it. laugh
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
And, deal with it, deal with it, and then deal with it some more.
Originally Posted by the_shootist

In that case I think it only fair we send you a couple of months worth of our 95 degree 95% humidity this summer. grin
Posted By: catnthehat Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

In that case I think it only fair we send you a couple of months worth of our 95 degree 95% humidity this summer. grin

Winnipeg was colder than Mars llast week apparently, and we have also warmed up in the last few days- it hit the -40's for a few days.
Louie the German Short hair pointer might love the hot weather , but you can have your 95 degree stuff as far as Ii am concerned - unless maybe you send some quail up with it!!
Cat
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
One thing about Canada is, it gets all kinds of weather.
Just in varying amounts.
Louie the German Short hair pointer might love the hot weather , but you can have your 95 degree stuff as far as Ii am concerned - unless maybe you send some quail up with it!!
Cat

Quail are as scarce as honest politicians around here. We have a few ruffed grouse in spots. Plenty of wild turkeys and a decent goose and duck population.

We got an abundance of big skeeters if you need some extras.
Dad used to say here that in northern Ontario, the mosquitos land on trees and bark and many would weigh a pound. shocked

Good old Dad.
Dad used to say here that in northern Ontario, the mosquitos land on trees and bark and many would weigh a pound. shocked

Good old Dad.

The skeeters are so big down here in the South they can stand flat footed and fornicate with a full grown wild turkey. shocked
Posted By: troutfly Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
It's been so cold here in SE Alberta, I dragged out my old copy of the Rodeo Song....It's 40 below and I don't give a f...got a heater in the truck and I'm off to the rodeo!
IIRC it was written/preformed by a band from this area (Medicine Hat).
Enjoy the weather folks, it'll soon be summer!
And now, back to my state of hibernation.LOL
Posted By: Arctic Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
Dropped back to minus 40 here, so cool I had to go back to long pants. Thought spring was coming when it hit minus 29 and the sun was shining!
Did ya have to use your lined gloves?
Posted By: ikesdad Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
What's the problem ?
It's only winter, happens every year.
Originally Posted by ikesdad
What's the problem ?
It's only winter, happens every year.

Absolutely!
Posted By: Arac Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
We have the oddest weather around my neck of the woods - it was the warmest December on record. I mean rain on Christmas - who has heard of that up here??

It finally got "cold" the other day when we actually had slightly below freezing. Even last night, which was the coldest night in a long time, I was out splitting wood in a vest and a t-shirt. Crazy warm I tell you.
Posted By: CanuckShooter Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
Originally Posted by Arac
We have the oddest weather around my neck of the woods - it was the warmest December on record. I mean rain on Christmas - who has heard of that up here??

It finally got "cold" the other day when we actually had slightly below freezing. Even last night, which was the coldest night in a long time, I was out splitting wood in a vest and a t-shirt. Crazy warm I tell you.

Same around here, sure won't hear me complaining about it.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Hey Canadians - 01/06/14
That Winnipeg/Mars temperature thing, really only happened because Mars was suffering from global warming. We have climate change here instead.
Posted By: n007 Re: Hey Canadians - 01/07/14
its that polar vortex thing that decided to come out of Greenland for a visit. Normal temperatures here.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Hey Canadians - 01/07/14
Well, I've seen it colder here, but only by 10-15 degrees Farenheit. Headed for 51*F below tonight with the wind chill.

And yeah, I know, it's a dry cold. Operative word being cold. wink
Posted By: icedog Re: Hey Canadians - 01/07/14
I remember that kids' hockey games scheduled for outside ice were postponed when the temperature dropped below -10F. Yup, I'm so old that Canada hadn't even thought about changing from Farenheit to Celsius when I was a kid.

We're finally getting some real winter here so we can get out for some ice fishing and snowmobiling.
Posted By: 07blackwater Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
I live on the wet coast so I don't even feel like I'm allowed in this thread right now.

It's +7 right now. That's about 45F.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
We have three days worth of mild weather coming on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then it's back to normal January weather. We're slated for some more snow, but only about 4 or 5 inches.
Posted By: troutfly Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
I know it is a few days away but we are slated to see +7C on Saturday. -13 right now with -20 WC. Brisk baby!!
Posted By: Mgw619 Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
Low here in Augusta, ga was 12 F. This morning. Schools were delayed two hours. Cold as hell for us. I'm enjoying the cold. Silly to think that 15 is much better than 12. For a guy raised in georgia I love the cold. Wish we had more of it.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
Just in varying amounts.

I understood most of it was cold and the variation is in the how cold.
Posted By: Stricks Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Just in varying amounts.

I understood most of it was cold and the variation is in the how cold.

To further that JS...my buds used to say "10 months of winter and 2 months of poor snowmobilin" .. Canucks are a hardy bunch fer sure.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
We get temperatures in the mid to high 30's Celsius (think mid to high 90's) in the summer time -- not always and sometimes not for long, and in the winter -40 is not strange in the central and northern part. I have seen it go as low as 68 blow Farenheit, but not recently.

To be honest, you don't really notice how much colder it is unless there is a wind to drive home the point after about 45 below,
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
One winter I flew from up in Canada to the mid-west of the US and caught TV news on both ends. The Canuck weather man showed his map and said that a low pressure area in the US was pulling arctic air down south over Canada. The US weatherman showed the same map and said that cold air from Canada was flowing south into the US. grin

Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
It seems folks will call a road by the name of the next town.
Posted By: gory Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
I was supposed to be in Nashville for the ATA show and my flight to Chicago was cancelled, things looked mighty chilly down there. G
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Hey Canadians - 01/08/14
Originally Posted by 07blackwater
I live on the wet coast so I don't even feel like I'm allowed in this thread right now.

It's +7 right now. That's about 45F.

I hear ya' blackwater. It's 48F here but rain for the near distant future. I'm off to Kauai for a quick few days with the wife in a couple weeks so I'll get a quick sunburn in to bring back to my rusty weather.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: Hey Canadians - 01/09/14
One things for sure... If we Canadians don't have a snow-ball fight going on in Ottawa, we always have the weather to cry about... and Leaf/Canuck/Senator/Flames/Jets/Canadiens hockey cry

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Hey Canadians - 01/09/14
Mercifully, this cold snap is polar vortexing back north. we hit 42 today and it felt plumb balmy outside.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Hey Canadians - 01/09/14
If someone would learn to ration the cold weather, and hot stuff, we might be more comfortable.

Of course, then what would we have to complain about?
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Hey Canadians - 01/09/14
On Tues. morning my eldest daughter who a few months ago moved back to Ontario from Alberta was supposed to fly back west on business. At 5 a.m. she checked and found out her flight was cancelled. She the spent 2 hours on hold on the phone trying to find out when she might get a flight. No go!

Later in the day apparently the telephone waits extended to 5 or 6 hours. Everything was totally fouled up. Fortunately for her she never left home so wasn't exposed to all the inconvenience hundreds of others suffered at the Toronto airport.

Current planning is for her to try again next Tuesday.

Jim
Posted By: PawMudduck Re: Hey Canadians - 01/14/14
However if you live in southern Ontario. - Toronto , London, Windsor ,or St Catherine's ...we are actually further south then 1/4 to 1/3 of your USA states
© 24hourcampfire