Home
Posted By: knifeman Black Fly Repellent - 04/09/14
Going to be fishing in Clova Quebec in late June.Hope the black flies are gone by then but want to bring something just in case! Doe's anyone know what works on those blood suckers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/10/14
Muskol. And a head net.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/10/14
DEET can't be beat. Short of that cover every inch of ones body and seal the cuffs and pant legs.
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/10/14
The last week of June is close to the end of blackfly season, depending on the weather. High percentage deet with full body covering, with duct tape sealing open areas is the answer. Muskol had been my favorite. Keep it away from fishing lures. It can melt finishes and fish don't seem to care for it. A few of my bear hunting friends have had pretty good success with Themocels.
You could try what a couple loggers I met near Clova years ago suggested. They rubbed themselves with diesel. It's a carcinogen and they smelled awful, but they claimed it worked.
Hope the fishing is good and the black flies are gone.
Bfly
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/10/14
Thermocells really work and are the least uncomfortable solution.

Loggers are covered in diesel all day everyday as part of their work--hydralic oil too--it don't work--ask me how I know.
Posted By: knifeman Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/11/14
Bfly Your right! They should be gone by the time we get there. But you never know. Just want to be on the safe side. Thanks
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/12/14
I went bear hunting once in Canada. I used DEET. I used a head net. Every evening in coming off the stand, I had crusts of blood on my face from black fly bites.

I know Thermocels work well on mosquitos; I've never tried this with black flys.
Posted By: billbastian Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/13/14
Absolutely right about the thermacell, use them every spring when I go for bear, probably wouldn't go back up if it weren't for thermacell. First time I used one I was sitting in the "bush" with a head net (hate those things), swarms of skitos and black flies all around me. Lit the thermacell and within 15 min. they were completely gone and I haven't worn a head net since !!! Good advice and a good laugh - one evening I was sitting on stand and about 8:15 my thermacell ran out of butane (forgot to take refill along into bush)I wasn't going to leave at prime time so I removed the pad and rubbed it all over my face, neck, ears and hands, wasn't long it started to burn! Tuffed it out and stayed till dark ! Hopped on four wheeler and raced back to lodge, ran into bathroom and threw cold water on my face and ears! Looked like I had one of my worst sunburns ever! DON'T DO IT !!!!
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/13/14
Defense against blackflies??? 4 barrel 20mm AA cannon seems to werk.
Posted By: quackquackbang Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/30/14
I found the Thermacell worked great when sitting in my bear stand. One evening I left it at the cabin and just about went out of my mind in the stand from the damn flies. Believe me it will never be left behind again.
Posted By: Okanagan Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/30/14
FWIW DEET eats holes in nylon (& maybe other synthetics) and does it quickly. Don't let a drop of spray etc touch Goretex, Thermarest pads, etc.

Posted By: boltgunjim Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/30/14
Those of you that use Thermacell for bear hunting, I assume you don't think the aroma effects the bears coming into bait? I've heard varying opinions. Would be interested in your comments. Thanks.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Black Fly Repellent - 04/30/14
I swear the thermocell I took into the Kenai Mtns only attracted mosquitoes. Heck the dam things were landing on it and making love like it was a newlywed suite.
Posted By: billbastian Re: Black Fly Repellent - 05/01/14
Always use a thermacell for bear hunting in Canada saw bear every night last spring so it obviously doesn't bother the bear. Have shot 4 so far thermacell every time! It also keeps the mosquitos away, I haven't worn a head net since the first time I used a thermacell. They absolutely work !!! Wouldn't go to Canada without one!!
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Black Fly Repellent - 05/01/14
If you stink worse than a bear, the bugs leave you alone, but so does your wife. laugh
Posted By: senior Re: Black Fly Repellent - 05/01/14
Originally Posted by the_shootist
If you stink worse than a bear, the bugs leave you alone, but so does your wife. laugh

So...nothing new there frown

Gonna be a late black fly season here in Ont this yr i think.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Black Fly Repellent - 05/01/14
Yep. Still enough snow on the ground in the shady areas, and temps arre hovering around freezing. Lakes looking pretty solid for a good time to come. No indication of an early hatch for either black flies or mosquitos.

My guess is that the opening of pickerel season can be fished without a boat. wink
Posted By: st8tman Re: Black Fly Repellent - 05/01/14
Have personally taken 8 bear while using the thermacell. Have witnessed approximately 40 others taken while in camp by other hunters using the thermacell. Also some real mature bear were included in this group. My experience is NO PROBLEMS!
© 24hourcampfire