Home
Posted By: wabigoon Signs of spring - 04/14/14
Other than the calendar, any signs?
Any birds, or other moving in?
Any less snow?
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Signs of spring - 04/14/14
-22*Celsius tonight. (about -8*F) Snow is still just under 2 feet deep in the field alongside our house. Spring you say?? confused
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Signs of spring - 04/14/14
Yes I did, I have heard reports of gulls, and ducks sitting on lake ice at Vermillion Bay.
The birds must be optimistic?
The birds must be optimistic?

. . . . . . . . . . or retarded. shocked
Or maybe they get cheaper flights when they fly in the off season.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Signs of spring - 04/14/14
Summon up that flock of trained blackbirds that were thawing out the lake ice a couple of years ago.
Turn em loose on those snow piles.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Signs of spring - 04/14/14
Endless weather watches and warnings on the television (here in Iowa).
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Signs of spring - 04/14/14
Ravens were divebombing the Peregrine Falcon that roosts on the cliff over my house--so he's back--don't know where the other one is.

2 Eagles sittin on the ice in front of house so there must be open water over in the river.

Went out for a load of firewood after dark last night and could hear the gulls off in the distance.

Driveway melted off and it is a muddy mess--snow dropped in the bush by half only got about 2 feet left.

Should be smelt fishin in about 3 weeks if it ever warms up
Posted By: CanuckShooter Re: Signs of spring - 04/14/14
Breeding pairs of geese showed up a week ago, black birds and killdeer seen outside today. Looking at our calendar the hummingbirds should start showing up right after Easter Monday. Down to our last foot of snow, and the river is starting to pick up.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Signs of spring - 04/15/14
Here in southern Ontario the tulips are now 5" to 6" out of the ground. Snow piled 6' to 8' high in shopping centre parking lots have almost disappeared.

Tonight the temp. is dropping below zero and going to be cold tomorrow. After that the temp is forecast to rise again.

Jim
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Signs of spring - 04/15/14
+5 celcius today but we have been very spoiled this winter.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Signs of spring - 04/15/14
-16 Celsius here. We have NOT been spoiled this winter. wink 12-15 foot snow banks have shrunk to 6-8 feet high. But I'm sure others have had a worse winter than we have.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Signs of spring - 04/15/14
Keith,

It's hard to imagine something worse than 12 foot snow drifts.

Jim
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Signs of spring - 04/15/14
The snowbank at the firestation where there is also bulk postal boxes must have been over 15 feet this year, and the highest I can remember in 60 plus years in the area. At -16 this morning, they won't be shrinking much. Buddy of mine said there was still close to 3-4 feet of good solid lake ice out there.

And some folks are talking about spring. laugh
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Signs of spring - 04/15/14
Would it be bad form to mention that I cut my grass last weekend, for probably the 4th time this year?
Posted By: Barryt Re: Signs of spring - 04/18/14
We have daylight until 9:45, but that's the only hint of spring. Temps are still in the minus.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Signs of spring - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by the_shootist
-16 Celsius here. We have NOT been spoiled this winter. wink 12-15 foot snow banks have shrunk to 6-8 feet high. But I'm sure others have had a worse winter than we have.

our last hard snow fall was in end december 2013.

we folllowed what happens in the south and east this last winter.

in less than one week the garden and driveway is free of snow and ice never seen that. the southern slopes started to have green grass ...

we even had some rain droplet few minutes ago ...

my prayers for you guys.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Signs of spring - 04/19/14
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Any less snow?

Still have some snow on the lawn in the more shaded spot.

Today, I was able to find the knob off the snowblower that rattled off and got tossed into the snow this winter, so it looks we are headed in right direction.
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Would it be bad form to mention that I cut my grass last weekend, for probably the 4th time this year?

YES! mad
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Signs of spring - 04/19/14
The flip side is winter months of mostly overcast and rain, very little decent hunting without a ferry ride ($) and several hours driving, mediocre job prospects and house prices through the roof.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Signs of spring - 04/19/14
Pat;
Happy Easter to you and yours sir.

We finally got some nice weather, though a quick trip to Horseshoe Bay and back home on Wednesday brought us lots of snow on the Coquihalla.

We've got the Saskatoons in full bloom here now and our two year old cherry tree actually had more than one bloom on it this year so hopefully this morning's 0 temp doesn't mean no cherries. frown

Robins and black birds have returned here in force as well as some idiot bird that keeps attacking itself in our house windows.... it may turn into cat food if that performance continues. wink

That's it for the Okanagan spring report this morning Pat. All the best to you folks - and all our 'Fire friends this morning.

Happy and Blessed Easter to you all.

Dwayne
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Signs of spring - 04/19/14
Dwayne, good to hear from you again. Haven't seen much of you, guess life is getting in the way or you just have something better to do!
take care
Pat
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Signs of spring - 04/19/14
4" of wet snow, temps around thefreezing mark, and high winds . . . . sounds like spring to me. confused
Here's a few pics of the yard this Feb. That woodpile is 4' high and was completely covered the next day. Note the snowbank on the driveway as the snowblower tossed it from the edge.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Signs of spring - 04/20/14
Not far off from what we got, Cub. Nice looking place.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Signs of spring - 04/20/14
Not far off from what we got, Cub.

It's almost gone off the yard..

Nice looking place.

Thanks. We like it, esp the brick front. They don't use much brick here in the Maritimes and I grew up in S. Ont where EVERYTHING is made of brick.

Paul
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Signs of spring - 04/20/14
Lovely home, I'm sure it is quite nice inside as well.
© 24hourcampfire