Home
Posted By: kid0917 Yukon grouse hunting - 09/28/14
I met a guy from Whitehorse several years ago while on a fishing trip to Atlin Lake. He got me interested in a future camping trip along the Ross River and Faro roads, and said the grouse hunting could be very good depending on their cycle. It might be a year or two before I could get up there, but what is the current status of the grouse abundance cycle?

Thanks,
Kid
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Yukon grouse hunting - 09/30/14
Originally Posted by kid0917
I met a guy from Whitehorse several years ago while on a fishing trip to Atlin Lake. He got me interested in a future camping trip along the Ross River and Faro roads, and said the grouse hunting could be very good depending on their cycle. It might be a year or two before I could get up there, but what is the current status of the grouse abundance cycle?

Thanks,
Kid

I spent last week cutting firewood within 20 miles of Whitehorse and the grouse were very plentiful so cycle is currently quite high. Next year could be completely different.
Good luck
I have a cabin in Atlin.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Yukon grouse hunting - 10/01/14
I enjoyed Atlin, my brother and I trolled for lakers just after ice went out some years ago. Also went across to the river for grayling and did some panning. The only gold we took out of there, was from the gold shop in town. We caught some nice grayling at Surprise Lake, too. I would love to go back and rent a houseboat for a week or two.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: Yukon grouse hunting - 10/01/14
Kid0917,

here s something to read about hunting from the road:

http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishing-trapping/roadways.php

i can testify that this year on the campbell between faro and ross there is a lot of grouse ... maybe a little less after we took some few weeks ago ...

never heard about a houseboat there but maybe there is always something that you can find ...

Posted By: kid0917 Re: Yukon grouse hunting - 10/02/14
Thanks, I wish I could make a getaway trip right now , but will have to wait. I have made the Alaska highway trip 5 times now, 4 times up and once down, always wanted to do some hiking along the old sections that are now bypassed with road realignments.
Posted By: tangozulu Re: Yukon grouse hunting - 10/02/14
Houseboat rental is available 250 651.2488
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Yukon grouse hunting - 10/07/14
Thanks for the contact info...
© 24hourcampfire