Home
Does Ontario or Quebec have a minimum legal caliber for moose
No idea about Ontario or Quebec all "big game" hunting in Alberta must be greater than .23 calibre making the .243 diameter rounds the legal minimum.

Hopefully someone gives a relevant answer.
Don't know for sure, but in Ontario, I think it has to be centre-fire for all big game animals. I know a guy that uses a 25-20 for moose. I wouldn't, but he does. My wife shot her first moose with a 243 and that was legal . . . . . . and tasty. Not many people in our area use .223s, but some use 22-250 on deer, and one guy I know used his 22-250 to take a moose - - - - more of a deal about he was hunting deer with it and saw a legal moose. Dance with the girl ya brung.

I had an uncle that shot scads of moose and deer with an old model 94 Winchester in 30-30. It worked well.

Personally, I prefer something in the 308 to 300 magnum area, so my '06 usually gets the nod, but I wouldn't hesitate to perforate a moose with the 6.5 Swede.
Keith, you are correct the only requirement in Ontario for big game is that a centre fire must be used. This is covered on page 24 of the current hunting regulations.

Jim
So which is the better province to head to for moose

I'm not really keen on this "one tag for two hunters" crap.
Newfoundland. There is a whole thread on this topic back a month or so.
Newfoundland is CRAWLING with moose!!
Yes. But Newfoundland wants boocoo bucks for their moose
Everyone wants beaucoup bucks for their moose. Try Yukon prices or Alaskan prices for comparison. And Newfie Land has a lot more local "colour." laugh
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Yes. But Newfoundland wants boocoo bucks for their moose

PM rost495 and see if he can give you a rough estimate for an Alaska moose hunt. He went last month. Non-res hunting lic & moose tag is $485.00. Check out this link for more State info;

Alaska Hunting Regs

Ed
I would think Newfoundland would be the most affordable place to go for Moose!
Where Ever I go has to be drivable, because johnny don't fly...if I was meant to do that, the good lord wuld have given me wings when I was born
The best of luck, and safety with the trip and keep us up to date.
I hunted Newfoundland a few times and thought the hunts were great and well worth the prices. I hunted with Westwood Outfitters. Great outfitter, meals, guides. Moose is one fine table fare.

Best to you
Jim
I've got a couple years to plan it. Not spending that kind of money until my boat is paid off, and the wedding loan paid off.

I do however intend on going back to Quebec for Caribou in two years

Those late winter hunts are some of the most fun i've ever had
© 24hourcampfire