Home
Posted By: River_Ridge Late season moose hunt? - 03/17/16
I was planning on going to Newfoundland for a moose hunt next year but the outfitter said he doesn't have any openings until the end of October. I believe that would be about the 5th week of the season. I'm wondering if that might be too late in the season for 2 reasons. What are the chances of finding a decent bull after they've been hunted for 5 weeks and how rough will the weather be that time of year. (We have to drive about 20 miles off road to camp.) I went up in 2014 for the 2nd week and I was hoping for a spot in the first 3 weeks this time. Anyway, what do you more experienced moose hunters say? Is the end of October a good time to go, and why or why not? Thanks.
Nfld has a decent moose population -- as good as anywhere. I have hunted moose in Ont in the first couple weeks in December with success. Retrieval is a little more difficult depending on snow conditions, but the moose move around better in cooler weather as well.

Try asking your outfitter -- he probably knows local conditions better than I do. wink
I agree. We've went early and late, and there are plenty of moose. I wouldn't balk at a later hunt at all. I believe there are moose in the interior that rarely if ever see a human, and they're prone to wander.
A retired gunsmith I know went to NFLD several years ago and said he had so many chances to shoot a moose that he finally just picked one and shot it. He said there were lots to choose from.
Posted By: las Re: Late season moose hunt? - 04/14/16
End of the rut. Hope you aren't planning on eating the thing and enjoying it.

If you can get a cow tag, do that. The hunt and experience is the same, and the meat is unsurpassed.
© 24hourcampfire