Home
Headed to Alberta , is there a limit on beverages I can bring? Whiskey and or beer? Thanks
I believe it is one liter, duty free.....after that you'll pay for it.

Personally I just buy it up there....makes the border crossing easier.
Copy that
Originally Posted by ingwe

Smart way to look at things.
My bad, had some residents putting in orders already..
I have a lot of clients that drink MDG--I tell them to bring as much as they are going to need but make sure you declare it. They'll bring quite a few cases and get it landed with duty at my place for about $25 a case total.
MDG at the local liquour outlet is about $49 a case. I think it holds true for whiskey too.

We must be gettin old cause they always bring too much.
Yup , 1 liter of booze or a case of beer.
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Smart way to look at things.

Yep. I like to be able to answer all their short, obligatory questions, with a short "No".

Makes things go faster.
The duty isn't that much, and if they don't ask and you don't tell....

My wife and I went up last fall to waterfowl hunt with friends, who asked us to bring up a bunch of Coors beer. We brought eight 30-packs in the two big coolers we brought along for ducks and geese. The Canadian customs folks only asked about guns, not alcohol, but even if they had asked the duty would only have been a few bucks.
Right on. John I've followed your writing for years, since I was a kid, much respect to you, hopefully you don't get me throwed in the clink. Grin
Though I am not a drinker for the last thirty years, I seem to recall a company in Canada selling Seagram's VO and anther one called Canadian Club. I think they passed as whiskey, and you can buy them in Canada. wink
The thing I found difficult to buy in Canada is bourbon. Lots of blended and Canadian Whiskeys,but Makers Mark is the only bourbon I could find far north.

I was able to choke down some other stuff....... whistle
A few of us did find a few other brands of whiskey, even some spelled whisky, in the Montreal area before taking off on a caribou hunt further north in Quebec.

While this thread is about whiskey, I should mention that the reason my Alberta friends wanted so much Coors beer (aside from the fact that they'd discovered they liked it) was that a 12-pack in Alberta cost just about as a much as a 30-pack in Montana.
The thing I found difficult to buy in Canada is bourbon. Lots of blended and Canadian Whiskeys,but Makers Mark is the only bourbon I could find far north.

Makers will do just right....
I guess I get it if you're a bourbon drinker, but why would you want to take mass market American beer to the land of Labatts (and a lot of other good beers!)
Try Alberta Springs Sipping Whiskey, if they still make it.
My pard brought some back, not too bad
Any notion of whisky being available in Canada brings to mind the old question, "Are there cows in Texas?"
I have always found it amazing that so much whiskey is made in Canada, yet it is cheaper to import it than to buy it locally. Can anyone say GOVERNMENT RIP OFF!!?
There's some real good Canadian rye in Canada. I remember one night after we came out of the hills...well, I almost remember it....
Part of the fun is trying the local distilled beverages, enjoy.

Tom,

Must be a regional thing. Here in our "fairly small" town, they stock Jim Beam white & black, Woodford Reserve & Knob Creek.

Not a great assortment, but at least choices.

You may get a shock at our prices however !

JB White: CAD$28
JB Black: CAD$31
Woodford Reserve: CAD$50
Knob Creek: CAD$47

All 750ml bottles.

JD Sourmash: CAD$31

At least the exchange rate is stacked in your favour !

wink
Yeah, with the exchange rate, thats cheaper than it is here! laugh
cry

GFY !
CIGARETTES !!

CAD$10-15 bucks a pack !!!!!!

I'm being raped.
I don't smoke, so Im good on that.

but hey, with socialized medicine, your first heart attack is free! laugh
Yeah, I guess so !

Tobacco import limit is 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars per person, I believe.

If you need more & have non smokers in the group, get them to carry & declare the extras as theirs.
Heading north, the folks are always friendly and easy going. It's the US Border cops that are azz holes heading back home.

I bring booze up nearly every time I head north. Never had a hassle.
And I have found the opposite to be the case. I guess its dependent upon which border crossing, and the luck of the draw!
Could be. I usually cross at the Sumas when headed to the Frazer river.

The difference is quite funny though. Maybe they were uptight about all the BC bud headed south. laugh
It don't matter how much booze you drink, it won't make a gentleman out of a {bleep}. grin
Quite the contrary judging from what I have seen.

At any rate, Keep Canada Green! Take MONEY!
been in and out of the US both North and South more than a few times.

Without a doubt as a US Citizen, coming back in is the biggest bunch of azzholes I"ve ever met.

But I think thats good in a way. Might mean we worry a bit more or try to, about folks coming into the US.

At least thats the best I can come up with.
Not much of a drinker so curious, what is MDG?

Cheers!
I dunno...Down here its MGD- Miller Genuine Draft.
Same up here !!
No visit would be complete without a trip to the LCBO or 'Beer Store', quaint as all h*ll...
Originally Posted by rost495
been in and out of the US both North and South more than a few times.

Without a doubt as a US Citizen, coming back in is the biggest bunch of azzholes I"ve ever met.

But I think thats good in a way. Might mean we worry a bit more or try to, about folks coming into the US.

At least thats the best I can come up with.

Without a doubt, the biggest bunch of pricks you will ever meet in your life is the guys on our side coming back. Apparently, "Wyoming", is the wrong answer when asked where we were headed.

The guys in red could care less about what was in our trucks.
Judman,

Not sure where you are headed in Alberta, but if you are passing through Edmonton there is a lot of selection at a store called "Wine & Beyond" which is within site of the Cabelas up here. Easy to find Bullit Burbon, Knob Creek, etc. there, as well as pretty much anything else you want.

For those interested, you can do a search on the Alberta Liquor and Gaming Commission website for any brand and it will tell you if it is available in Alberta and where.

http://aglc.ca/liquor/findaliquorproduct.asp

It obviously doesn't show prices.

SS

Thanks Sam, we're headed up Viking.
I live about 30 min from Viking. PM me if you need anything while up here.

SS
How bout a 160" + whitetail? Grin

Will do headed up the day before thanksgiving til the first. Pard and I might look ya up for a bull session. Thanks, Jud
© 24hourcampfire