Home
Posted By: 7mmMato Northern Lights In BC - 08/07/16
Im going Moose Hunting this fall near Smithers. What is the chances of seeing the Northern Lights this time of year? Late Sept early Oct. Im going stir crazy waiting on this trip.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
Getting close!! I would like to know this too. I'm in Smithers second week of Sept.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
Can't get here fast enough for me. Good luck up there.
Posted By: joelbiltz Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
You too! Can't wait!!!
Posted By: rost495 Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
I know in AK that time of fall it depends on the solar flare forecast... but we've never not seen them in middle of Sept in AK. Probably just lucky though.

I konw that doesn't help with BC, but I"d check on the forecast and if they are forecast for higher than normal, its a better chance anywhere you are at.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
I figured there was no way to know for sure. Just wondered if it was common. Thanks for the info rost495.
Posted By: eric123 Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
A bit early for the northern lights, but you never know could happen.
More so in the winter time , all though last yr on our yearly trip in early Oct up to the Liard hot springs, we spent the night in Fort Nelson, and holy crap I have never seen them that nice..
Good luck on your hunt,and pray for crisp cool nights and frosty mornings..
Posted By: tkinak Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/08/16
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/09/16
4 or 5 years ago we were moose hunting at a fly in lake in northern Ontario. One night we had an awesome display of northern lights that kept our whole camp out on the the dock to watch for nearly an hour. Of course we did not know in advance it was just luck that I stepped outside and noticed them. Not the area you are interested in but I understand why you are interested.

Jim
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/09/16
Thanks I am hoping to get lucky and catch a light show as this could be the only time I get that far North. Will be a great trip one way or the other.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/10/16
Best I ever witnessed was in northern Saskatchewan on a late September moose hunt. Woke up and thought it was daybreak from inside the tent.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/10/16

We had a display here at Lat 58 N last week.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/10/16
The biggest factor involved in seeing the aurora, IMO, is cloud cover.
Posted By: Stricks Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/12/16
7mm….my daughter who is a camp counselor here, texted us last night to say how beautiful the Northern Lights were and as an added bonus, the Perseid meteor shower. We are latitudinally very close to Smithers….you may be in luck.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/perseid-shower-could-bring-up-to-200-meteors-per-hour-1.3023264

Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/12/16
Thanks I hope so. Thanks everyone
Posted By: SamSteele Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/16/16
Your chances are good. I took some shots of them back near the BC/Alberta border around the same time of year in 2014. Photos can be found here: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9233451/Aurora_Borealis#Post9233451

SS
Posted By: castnblast Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/29/16
I have a cabin a couple hours drive from Smithers. Northern lights can show up there any time, it really depends on events on the sun. If you have clear skies at night, there is a very good chance that you'll have a Aurora borealis show. Hope you do, and that you have a couple wolves and a loon for a choir.
Posted By: Montivagant Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/29/16
Saw them in late September when fishing the Skeena tributaries west of Smithers. Enjoyed the show.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Northern Lights In BC - 08/30/16
Thanks fellows
Posted By: rong Re: Northern Lights In BC - 09/03/16
Bring the camera,and keep us posted.
And good luck on the hunt.
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Northern Lights In BC - 09/08/16
Originally Posted by rong
Bring the camera,and keep us posted.
And good luck on the hunt.

Thanks I will do 13 days and counting
Posted By: las Re: Northern Lights In BC - 10/13/16
Mighty fine show here this morning between 7 and 7:30
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Northern Lights In BC - 10/13/16
Check this website for daily updates on sun activity. Will tell you when things get good for NL activity.

http://www.solarham.net/
© 24hourcampfire