Home
Posted By: Arac Grizzlies come charging in... - 11/04/16
...to an elk call. Not sure why dude was crying in the end as I don't speak French.
Arac;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the week treated you well.

That video is yet another example of why we spend a bunch of time on the "ethics" night of CORE class talking about the pros and cons of videoing every minute detail of a hunt and then posting it.... you know?

I left a comment on youtube saying as much - couldn't help myself this morning as I'm waiting for a new hunting partner to arrive.

We'll be going up onto the mountain behind the house where the neighbor saw a big boar grizzly a year or three ago and we'll be calling too.

Anyway I thought the choice of a "Ruger Mini whatever it was" to be fascinating to say the least? confused

I see the new partner has arrived so we'll be off now. All the best to you all in your remaining hunts this fall sir and do be careful out there.

Dwayne
Will definitely be a story to tell their grandkids about.

Just guessing but I believe the hunter who kind of lost it for bit was out in front of the group as the shooter on the elk that was suppose to show up. He got an up close and personal moment.
Posted By: 673 Re: Grizzlies come charging in... - 11/05/16
Thats no grizzly charge, they are simply coming to the call like any deer to rattling antlers etc....
I dont speak french either but I think the 2 guys are saying...
"lets leave this cry baby at home next time because he crys when scared and its embarrassing"
Your right , that was no charge. He was crying because he soiled his shorts and had no clean ones.
appears no charge. looks like a mother and two older cubs.

never known cubs to come in with mother on a charge and they were just loping in

the guy who was crying should stick to high fenced hunts
We had an incident here where two hunters elk called in a sow and two 400 lb year old cubs and the sow mauled one guy up pretty good. It was written up in Field and Stream. They concluded that the sow was "teaching" her cubs how to locate and bring down an elk by charging into a bull and his harem of cows and taking down anything that moved. One guy moved.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/node/1006033161

http://billingsgazette.com/news/fea...3f97ead-0e50-559c-9075-a379c8c9e511.html

I believe that ol' boy who was crying ought to stay home from now on and play Chinese Checkers and sip wine. grin

L.W.

When the OP typed "charging" I don't think he was meaning what some are inferring.
Posted By: Arac Re: Grizzlies come charging in... - 11/05/16
Originally Posted by EZEARL
When the OP typed "charging" I don't think he was meaning what some are inferring.

This.
He probably wasn't expecting it, and was caught off guard. In years past I'd always played over a close up encounter with a grizzly as it was expected while calling elk. So when I had a close up with a cougar, it caught me off guard and that made the experience more shocking as I'd never thought about how or what I should do in that situation. I didn't break down like the guy in the vid, but I definitely got a lot more of an adrenaline rush than I did with a grizzly at 40 feet in our camp this year.

I imagine that expecting a bull (?) and seeing three grizzlys come running up might trigger some latent emotion in someone especially if not too experienced. Videoing can be deceiving in that actual distances can be a lot closer too than they appear in the video.

Looked like sow and two cubs though not?; the three obviously knew what the call meant.
The dude is French. What did you expect him to do?
Originally Posted by bellydeep

[Linked Image]

Posted By: add Re: Grizzlies come charging in... - 11/15/16
Crepe his pants?
Posted By: las Re: Grizzlies come charging in... - 11/16/16
Griz/ brown bear will come in to moose calling too. Not been " charged" yet tho. They just kinda amble in showing no " intent". Ha! It's the whistling under their breath that gives em away .... smile
What the heck?
Posted By: wwy Re: Grizzlies come charging in... - 11/18/16
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
We had an incident here where two hunters elk called in a sow and two 400 lb year old cubs and the sow mauled one guy up pretty good.

400 lb yearling? That is ridiculous. Many sow's here don't even go 400.

Mainstream popular press isn't a great place to get factual, representative details. Cool video other than the crying.
How did you get a weight on the yearlings?
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by bellydeep

[Linked Image]

Those bears, like all bears I've so far had confrontations with, were most courteous and polite. Once the mistake was realized, they wasted no time in departing for a new zip code. I'll take bear confrontations any day to a stroll through any urban neighborhood, and statistics back me up all the way.
You are right on that
Originally Posted by ironbender
How did you get a weight on the yearlings?

That would be a big yearling for sure. Remember in 1981 the sow and two cubs that charged the Airman on Elmendorf. I saw the cubs they stuffed on Elmendorf in their animal museum. They were small. Same year cubs. At least that guy had a hot barrel, and he killed all 3 bears, with his 338WM. The next fall down South Illiamna I ran into the same thing, couldn't tell the sow from the cubs, had to at least be 2nd year cubs, I don't run a hot barrel so only had 3 in the mag. That'll make you think. By myself down there over by PBY lake.
Originally Posted by add
Crepe his pants?

That's just wrong! Laughing...
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Those bears, like all bears I've so far had confrontations with, were most courteous and polite. Once the mistake was realized, they wasted no time in departing for a new zip code.

I had a black bear come in like that once when I was cow calling. It stopped when I yelled, but it wasn't so polite, looked like it was pissed that I got to the elk first. Turned broadside and walked off slow and kind of stiff-legged.
Three times I've had grizzlies come when I was calling for something else, and one came at a fast ground-eating lope to a cow moose in heat sound. The others came more slowly and surreptitiously. None persisted when they discovered that a human was making the sound but I'd hate to bet my life on that. None of them ran away. One hid nearby, one stayed unmoving while I left and one moseyed away.

Making any kind of prey sound in bear country without considering that a bear might come is kind of short sighted. We've had a good many black bears come to rodent, rabbit and hoofed critter sounds, and had a cougar come to antler rattling, all incidental and separate from stands when we were intentionally calling bears or cougars. Engage brain, then make the call sound... blush
Their elk call sounded more like elk in distress call. Same sound they make when being chewed on by a few wolves, diner bell for grizz.
© 24hourcampfire