Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ice roads - 01/01/17
Ever drive on the ice roads?

Any ice roads nearby?

Thoughts on them?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ice roads - 01/01/17
We hunted along one a number of falls ago - it was like hunting in a garbage dump. The amount and variety of trash was impressive; perhaps the most intriguing being disposable diapers.
Posted By: castnblast Re: Ice roads - 01/13/17
Ice roads are pretty normal in the far north, I have driven some, glad I had the experience but don't crave more unless there is someplace I really need to go. I have buddies who drove ice roads with heavy trucks delivering freight to mining camps and northern communities, not a fun way to make a living, but seldom dull. the trick to driving heavy loads on lake ice is to go slow, pressure wave under the ice can build up and blow out the road in front of you if you over do it. My dad drove the last really long ice road in Saskatchewan back in the 80's when Uranium City was winding down. He said driving across open ledes on Lake Athabaska was a good way to make you feel mortal. Department of Highways placed steel trusses across the cracks, ( no "deck" ) and you put one wheel on each and drove across. I wouldn't voluntarily drive any ice road until February because prolonged cold and truck traffic drive down the frost and make the lake ice much safer as time goes by.
Posted By: Sgt5 Re: Ice roads - 02/19/17
Originally Posted by 5sdad
We hunted along one a number of falls ago - it was like hunting in a garbage dump. The amount and variety of trash was impressive; perhaps the most intriguing being disposable diapers.

Last time I eat lunch and visit the fire !
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Ice roads - 02/19/17
I hate to be the one to have to tell you, but, it gets much worse than that, on the "fire".
© 24hourcampfire