Home
Posted By: wabigoon Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/26/17
The other underwear thread has me wondering about the Stanfield wool's.

Anyone wear them, worth the money?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/26/17
I have never worn wool underwear, but the very idea makes me itch. When I was a kid I was forced to wear a pair of wool pants to church. I wore long cotton underwear beneath them even in the summer.
Yup. IMHO, they're just as good as the high $ UA and others. Also, if you're like me and have a penchant for slipping off of beaver dams or break dancing when crossing creeks, they still insulate when wet.
I certainly remember the old itchy wool longjohns but them thar days are behind us. The Stanfields that I wear are actually only 25% merino wool, 25% cotton and 50% polyester. Soft, comfortable and warm.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/26/17
Bobber, The sheep farm at Dryden has the heavy wool drawers for $55, Ca of course.
Is that a fair buy?
Best pair of "dress" winter gloves that I ever bought came from Sheepli's Egg Farm outside of Dryden. They are very heavy leather and have a good knit lining. I've had them for a number of years and hope they last forever. Seems that I gave $55 Canadian for them, but disremember the year.
Yes John, Egli's is a bit pricie, I bought a pair of wool bibs last year, I fell for old classic green with the small red stripes. I'd like a full wardrobe, but---.

I found the Stanfield wool drawers on the Hudson Bay site just today, I'll look some more there.
Seems reasonable. What kind of wool?
Bobber, and I just now see you are young on the "fire", take care of yourself, and watch your hat, and coat.

I think the drawers are %100, or close to it.

The website is simple to bring up, Egli's Sheep Farm. Dryden, Ontario. As I said, the Bay also shows the Stanfield.

PS, is it warming any in Alberta?
Having great weather. Daytime temps between +2/+10 - nighttime 0/-5 for the past week or so. Went ice fishing the other day (no, they weren't biting) and spent several hours in my shirt sleeves. (Didn't need my StanfieldsπŸ˜€) ice still about 3-1/2 ft. thick. Just barely got through with the auger.

I get my Stanfields at Mark's. Will check out that website, thanks.

What's the weather doing in Ont. - or Iowa??
I'm in Iowa Bobber, from 11 March, till the 18th, we were in Wabigoon, Ontario, with our grandson fishing through about 2, 1/2 ' ice thickness. I had the extension along, got by without it.

Rainy weather "back at the ranch", I think at times, Iowa is an old Indian word, meaning, "Mud".

That fish not biting, seems to be going around.(blush)

So, here we are, grown men, talking about our underwear, yikes!, some times a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Richard.
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ l was thinking the same thing. πŸ˜„πŸ˜„. At least we don't agonize over colour or lacy frills and stuff.😱

Bob

You haven't been around long enough to have run across the leopard-skin thongs. grin
I have my doubt's about their insulating qualities.πŸ˜„
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/26/17
Originally Posted by Bobber257
I have my doubt's about their insulating qualities.πŸ˜„

No, but the guy who wears them makes them look good. Those and aviators.

But don't say anything bad about them, he's got a mean lookin' dog!

Geno

PS, seems to be a regular guy tho.

PPS, is that Stanfield stuff available south of the border.
Stanfields have been making underwear in Canada since the beginning of time but I have no idea if they export to the U.S.

The last I've heard, they're not (yet) into the leapard skin thongs and aviators market.😝
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/27/17
Bobber, Valsdad, and all, the difference between the US, and Canadian dollar makes any Canadian goods cheaper than the face price, before tax.

I don't know if Mark's ships, but if anyone is serious, look into either Egli's Sheep farm website, or Hudson's Bay.

I'll likely wait till I'm in Dryden, and decide then if I want to buy.

P S, I'll leave the alternate styles to you other folks, no doubt I'd look great in them however! (See the thread on the profile on the perfect "fire member)
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/27/17
I got a sheepskin vest from the sheep farm about 15 years ago--simple thing and pricey but the best piece of kit I own.
Checked out the Egli's site this a.m. Lots of really nice stuff - no "alternative", thank goodness.

Ironic that a Canuck has to find a great Canadian site thru an American.πŸ€”
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 03/27/17
Bobber, I've a guest in "my", little part of Canada since 1949, man, and boy, I've tried to soak up some culture, and learn, I always want to learn more.

I'd love to travel Western Canada someday, the eastern Provinces as well.

I'll add, the sheep farm is only about 20 miles west of Wabigoon, Ontario, so I'd a bit dense to not be aware of the place.
Also googled Wabigoon, Ont. as I had never heard of it. No wonder - with a population of slightly over 400.πŸ˜„

I was raised in a town of that size in north central Saskatchewan. Quill Lake - bet you never heard of it. Fantastic duck and goose hunting.

I have a lot of fond memories of the wonderful little town. If you've ever heard the song, Ten Years Old And Barefoot, that was my life.......
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 04/03/17
Thanks for the info on the sheep farm. I looked up Egli's online, lots of good stuff there, for a wool loving guy like me.

Geno
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 04/03/17
You are quite welcome, the place is very nice, and pleasant folks there. I've never ordered online, but I would.
Be sure to take into account the difference between the US, and Canadian dollar, and if your card dings you a foreign exchange fee.

The farm has good quality goods, and that amounts to a lot.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Stanfield Wool Underwear? - 04/03/17
Not sure about that fee, but my card has contacted me when some butthead tried to buy music in Holland or someplace. I figured out after the second time that it was a card reader in the gas pump at a certain station.

The difference in exchange rate might cover the fee though, right?

Geno
© 24hourcampfire