Home
What is everybodys opinion on best reloading manual??? Thanks
Posted By: interthem Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 02/12/12
The Hodgdon/Barnes/Accurate/IMR websites. (free too)

If you are a "newbie" to reloading, the Lee and Hornady books are excellent at covering the whole process. All bullet makers offer excellent books as well.
There is no best and many good ones. Then too there are how to books and data books. IMHO it's nice to start with Naramore and Sharpe for a fairly complete look how to including a historical perspective. It's a good idea to find a data manual that uses the components including bullet that will be loaded. Often since people tend to have their rifles and their game in mind choosing first a bullet of choice then buying a data manual associated with that bullet is a good way to start. If the first manual leads to a choice of a particular powder then follow up with a powder maker's data book and then a few more.
Posted By: boomtube Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 02/13/12
Well, Sharpe and Naramore books are interesting to us old hands but there is very little in them that will be helpful to a new guy.

As ClarkE says, there is no 'best'; if there were it would dominate the market and none do that.

Data from all the mainline sources has been carefully tested and it makes no real difference if your manual was published by a bullet, powder or tool maker. Changing the firearm it's used in has a much larger effect on any book's suggested loads than the bullet, primer, case, etc. After 'start' loads we have to work up to our own max depending on pressure signs and going to ANY book's max load without careful and methodical load development is a potential path to destruction.

Most of us will agree that the Lyman, Hornady and Lee manuals have perhaps the most clearly written and well illustrated basic instructions and lots of good loading data too. Hodgedon's manuals probably have the widest range of loading data.
Originally Posted by interthem
The Hodgdon/Barnes/Accurate/IMR websites. (free too)

If you are a "newbie" to reloading, the Lee and Hornady books are excellent at covering the whole process. All bullet makers offer excellent books as well.

these as well as 4 reload manuals are in my collection and I am always looking for one I don't have. Yes I use all of them and currently use at least 1 load from each of them.
Not all reloading books will publish the same loads and some will have different starting loads and max loads. In reloading it is all trial and error. find what works for you.
I get the most info from Lymans. My fav to just read is A Square. I wish Ackley's manual was a little better laid out. I have a meduim sized book shelf with lots of reloading manuals. I use them all and back and forth.
I have always liked the Lyman best, but in the past 5 years or so, I have subscribed to the Load Data website. It is $30.00 annually and is always being updated by the powder and bullet manufacturers. There is a ton of info on the site. It is basically a compilation of all the reloading manuals out there.

I kind of always like to start my load work ups using data from the bullet mfg that I intend to use and go from there. I don't find the need to buy the newer version of every manual as pretty much all the newer loads that are pubished in them can be found on Load Data.
Posted By: gene5483 Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 08/08/13
I have the ABC's of reloading,Lyman's 49th edition and Hornady's 9th edition. They have data on the guns I use and other good info in them I think.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 05/20/14
The old and outdated PET LOADS by Ken Waters is one of my favourites. It contains a lot of good information and interesting reading. One would have to look elsewhere for current cartridges, bullets and powders, but no further for the old standbys..

Hodgdon used to have a manual with Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester and Aliant powders all in the same book. I have used that one a lot over the years. Not sure what Hodgdon currently offers.
Posted By: bobnob17 Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 05/26/14
If you are using Lee gear, then the Lee manual is a really good newbie's starter. And a good reference for an old hand too.

Nick Harvey's is excellent but may be hard to get.

I have old editions of Nosler, Speer, Hodgdon, Lee and old and new Lyman and recommend them all.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 05/28/14
Depends on the Brand Bullet you use the most. The Hodgdon if you are going to use just one manual
Lyman's 49th addition is probably the best for a beginning reloader.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 06/02/14
Pet Loads and Lyman historically have been what I liked best. But lately I have been using Hodgdon powders a lot, so I look at their loads. I'd recommend a minimum of three manuals if you're getting serious.

Be aware that even the best manuals seem to have errors. I like to double check with other sources and then work with the loads starting a few percent below maximum and working up.

A recent manual showed 35 Remington loads heavier than 358 Winchester loads... Hmmmm...
Posted By: geedubya Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 06/06/14
FWIW,

Best, might not be "the best".

Hodgdon publishes an "Annual" each year that features loads for different manufacturer's bullets with both Hodgdon and IMR powders. I refer to that quite often as I load a lot of Hodgdon and IMR. That periodical can be picked up online or at bookstores such as Barnes and Noble.

[Linked Image]

I also load specific bullets according to the recipe of the individual manufacturer. By that, Nosler bullets out of the Nosler Manual, Sierra Bullets out of the Sierra Manual. Hornady out of the Hornady manual.

Best,

GWB

Posted By: Mssgn Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 12/08/14
Lyman's book has loads from sevral powder and bullet makers where a the Nosler manual only has loads for Nosler bullets, Hogdon manual only for Hogdon powders, etc.
Posted By: g5m Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 02/23/15
I started with Lyman. (Of course, that was about the only one available back then).

And it is still a very good, if not the best, for a beginner.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 02/24/15
Originally Posted by geedubya
FWIW,

Best, might not be "the best".

Hodgdon publishes an "Annual" each year that features loads for different manufacturer's bullets with both Hodgdon and IMR powders. I refer to that quite often as I load a lot of Hodgdon and IMR. That periodical can be picked up online or at bookstores such as Barnes and Noble.

[Linked Image]

I also load specific bullets according to the recipe of the individual manufacturer. By that, Nosler bullets out of the Nosler Manual, Sierra Bullets out of the Sierra Manual. Hornady out of the Hornady manual.

Best,

GWB

I follow geedubya's model.
Lots of great advice.

Once a reloader has the basics, and all he needs is load data, it's hard to beat www.loaddata.com.

It's a subscription thru Wolfe Publishing. One can have access to all the loading manuals, current and past, plus Handloader and other sources. To me, it's the handiest of all.

DF
Posted By: Hastings Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 02/27/15
Lee
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 10/01/15
Google
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 10/02/15
Pretty good on line info here. I have it book marked newer data.
http://www.realguns.com/loads/243.htm

Best manual that I found is.

Metallic Cartridge Reloading 3rd edition is the one I have
by ML McPherson

+1 on Pet Loads, I have several letters from Ken Waters from back in the day when he would answer questions from shooters. They were typed on a typewriter not a word processor, I treasure every one of them. Ken also handsigned the letters.
The Lee manual is the one I pick up mostly these days.It list the loads from the fastest to the slowest.It also shows the pressures for the loads if available and from what I can tell,it's a copy paste from the other manufacture's manuals anyway,so it's like having the load data from all the other manuals combined in one.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Best Reloading Manual??? - 11/12/15
Whatever brand of bullets you use, get that manual. I have Barnes, Hornady and Speer manuals because I use those bullets. I also have Lymans cast bullet manual for cast loads and A-squares manual because I load big bores not covered in other manuals.

There is no single best manual and you can not have too many manuals.

© 24hourcampfire