Home
??? Thanks for info......
i like the crushed walnut shells.
I used corn cob for a long time. I added Dillion�s to polish my brass. I used treated nut shells for a little while. I now only use walnut. The walnut cleans the best but doesn't really polish. I do rinse and dry my walnut and reuse it, it seems indefinitely. The cleaned brass retains the perfect amount of size lube for reloading. I was getting wrinkles when sizing highly polished brass from too much sizing lube.
I go to the pet store and buy a bag of pet bird walnut litter...much cheaper than stuff sold as "media" and works just as well. I also add a capfull of "Nu-Finish" liquid car wax every 3rd usage. Shells come out looking "new".
petsmart sells both corncob and walnut. i use both.

walnut for grungy brass, and all of my finished reloads go through corncom to get the sizing lube off.
have you seen the stainless steel media for the tumblers tumbler?? it does a awesome job and never wears out!
I'm about ready to buy some myself, got a smaller 2 barrel version I think meant for rock/mineral polishing, wonder if it will be usable for polishing brass. Does the SS media require water to be included in the barrels?
yeah cold water,dawn, lemi-shine. about 1 gallon
I have found that the lizzard bedding is the same consisantcy as the walnut media. I had one container of each and they looked the same. and the lizzard bedding is about 1/3 of the price of the media that you buy at the reloading store.

That is the best deal I have found out. I'll pass it on to you guys.
I just bought a cement mixer and would like to get my hands on about 100lbs of stainless pin media.....any idea where to get it in bulk?
I use walnut hull to which I add Mother's mag Wheel Polish, about 3 peas size lumps every third or fourth tumbling. I have both a vibratory and a RCBS tumbler, I prefer the RCBS for the timer although I built a timer for the vibratory unit.
New to reloading--how long do you normally let the brass tumble for? Can it tumble for too long? Thanks!
I let mine tumble until I get the polish that I am looking for.
And that all depends on how dirty and tarnished it is before I load the tumbler.

If it is real bad I put it in the walnut shell first and check on it about every 15 min. or so until all of the dark is off of it.
And then I put it in the corn cob with polish run it for an hour or so and then start checking it.

I am not familiar with he metal medias I am still pretty old school. But it works for me.
ditto on the walnut then corn cob, also i have started using plain old rice with a stick of rouge tossed in and seems to work well. brought vib tumbler into the house couse i was tired of slogging through the weather to my gun room. forgot the walnut shell and subed the rice and it works.
steel media in bulk on ebay
I use coarse walnut media fron Harbor freight. No water or chemicals. Got a concrete mixer and enlarged the pulley to slow it down. Cleans very well. Haven't tried polish yet.
Steel pins, water, a little Dawn and 1/4 t Lemi Shine in a rock polisher. Tumble for 3 hours, rinse and dry in food dehydrator. I decap brass before tumbling and the primer pockets get incredibly clean. The pins can be a pain to deal with, but I use a 5 gal mesh paint strainer in a 5 gal bucket under the media separator. That way I catch the pins and rinse the brass in one step. BTW, Harvey Deprimer tool is what I use for decapping.
Go to Wal-Mart, K-Mart, or what have you.. go to the small pet section.. Hampsters and such.. pick up a big bag of crushed corn cob bedding for like three or four dollars. Enjoy.
© 24hourcampfire