Home
Posted By: BearClan JBM ballistics question - 01/18/13
I want to check the "stability" of a 168 barnes ttsx in my Sako Finnlight 300 WSM (11" twist) using the JBM software. When entering the length of the "bullet", do I need to subtract the length of the plastic tip given that there is another field to enter that number or am i supposed to subtract the tip length when entering the bullet length because the program will add these numbers together. I ask because including the tip length in the bullet length without entering anything in the tip length field results in <1.5 stability value (below the recommended value depending on who's recommendation you use) but adding the tip length results in a stability value >1.8 -a very different result. I'm sorry if this is not clear - hard to explain. If it helps, the 168 ttsx is 1.416" including the tip and the tip is .185". Thanks.
Posted By: Ken Howell Re: JBM ballistics question - 01/18/13
When in doubt about such wee things, go with the worse outcome, not the rosier one. Remember, you're dealing with a guestimate anyway, not a precise prediction.
Posted By: MacLorry Re: JBM ballistics question - 01/18/13
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
When in doubt about such wee things, go with the worse outcome, not the rosier one. Remember, you're dealing with a guestimate anyway, not a precise prediction.

Sage advise that can be used for many things.
© 24hourcampfire