Home
Posted By: 300savagehunter 256 winchester mag. - 10/08/14
Has or does anyone load 256 winchester with small pistol primers? All 357 loads use small pistol primers so why not on a necked down 357? I'm thinking maybe better accuracy like 22 hornet using small pistol primers.

Mike
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 256 winchester mag. - 11/13/14
Yes Mike, it works.
Posted By: Ward Re: 256 winchester mag. - 11/13/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Yes Mike, it works.

Yes, small pistol primers are just fine. I've had a Contender barrel in .256 and a Marlin 62 in the past. I couldn't find .256 brass at one time and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to form brass from .357. Case loss was high even with the form die set that came with the Contender barrel. Then I used .22 Remington Jet brass that was available locally. Open up the neck with one pass over the expander button in the FL size die and fireform. I think I loaded 100 rounds on the Jet brass and can't recall losing a single case.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 256 winchester mag. - 11/18/14
I've had two 256's Winchester 92 and a contender. (I wish there was a wider bullet selection.) I use 60 grain Hornady FP and a cast HP with GC all with small pistol primers in the Winchester 92. When I had a contender barrel in 256 I also used some HP jacketed.
Dad had no problem forming brass from 357. But I've been hording factory brass and will never need to do that.
© 24hourcampfire