Home
Posted By: fremont QL loves Re-17 / just sayin' - 06/07/15
It seems like everytime I put in a medium-heavy caliber (up to lighter bullets in 375 H&H) into QL's "propellant table set up form" (the white/black button with 1,2,3 on it), the top performing powder (e.g., velocity given a certain pressure) is Re-17. For overbore cartridges (like 264WM), it's Re-33.

Alliant must love these "referrals." wink grin
Sorry I'm not following you. RL 17 isn't even listed in my Quick Load. And I don't understand your 1,2,3,4.

My version is 3.8, the latest.

Can you clarify.

BTW your load isn't listed in Nortons load data either.
Hi Fremont,

I don't have QL but the data I have seen regarding the calibres I'm interested in lately like the 250 Savage AI and 260 Creedmore generally has R17 fairly high on the list, usually among other high energy powders like Vihtavouri etc.

I've only just started using R17 so can't comment on any magicness. Most reloading handbooks I've seen do generally show R17 give the top or near-top speeds compared to other powders, in calibres suited to the burn rate.

I can't conclude anything from all that, except it's obviously quite a good propellant for some applications.

- Bob
I have used it in a .260 and a .243 and am completely satisfied with the results. I does produce the velocities cited in numerous manuels without being over loaded in my experience. Only thng thus far I have used it in that did not like it was a 7x57. I will work with that some more, I remain optimistic.
© 24hourcampfire