Home
I have a Chesapeake Bay... He is my hart.. I had a Lab while I was a kidd.. He was my buddy... How about you..
Here is a pic..

Attached picture 0106110937a.jpg
???
i've got a great dane/catahoula named hunter, even though isnt one (best friend by a mile), and a black lab/golden retriever named dixie lane. still got alot of puppy in her. sweetheart but the jury is still out on her getting a job (ducks, etc.).
I had a beagle/dachshund mix. Best rabbit dog I ever had.
Originally Posted by RWE

Pics?
I have a drathaar.
The "do everything" dog is a Border Collie X Aussie mix..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The straight "Fish Dog" is a Border Collie...

[Linked Image]
Fish Dog. laugh laugh

Great Pics... What rifle is that...
Plain Vanilla Ruger 77 in .22-250...one of many I should have never sold.... whistle
Originally Posted by ingwe
Plain Vanilla Ruger 77 in .22-250...one of many I should have never sold.... whistle

I have a ghost myself...
Originally Posted by Cigar
Originally Posted by RWE

Pics?

May have gotten purged during the reformation.

I named her after an ex-girlfriend, so its likely any pics labeled "Liz" were chunked after I got married.

I'll look though.
Growing up dad had a shorthair female, she got hooked up with either his brittany male or Irish Setter that never would hold a point in his life. Some of the pups looked like the were part brit's, some looked part setter.

Anyways, Scooby was the result of that cross. If there was a better dog on downed birds I've never seen it. He had the run of the farm, would go between dad's to grandpa's to great grandma's house. When you walked out with a shotgun though, he was all business. I wish I could find a pic of that dog, I know some are floating around somewhere at mom's house, but no clue where exactly.
A Pudelpointer. Does everything I need done, from pointing snipe to retrieving beavers. This photo was taken while hunting white tailed ptarmigan on top of a mountain in BC
[Linked Image]
castnblast great pic !

Originally Posted by dogwater
I have a drathaar.

A guy that I hunted with had one, nice dog... A dog it all mutt...
Originally Posted by castnblast
A Pudelpointer. Does everything I need done, from pointing snipe to retrieving beavers. This photo was taken while hunting white tailed ptarmigan on top of a mountain in BC
[Linked Image]

Cool-looking doggy, I would like to have one.

Plus, a dog that would bring me beavers would be just great! wink

[Linked Image]

John
I had a boxer/lab/weim mix. Best dog I have ever had. I never trained him to hunt but looking back, he had it in him and I should have. Had to put him down a couple of months ago sadly. In the process of researching new breeds. That Pudelpoint looks like a great dog. Good waterfowl retriever?
I have an Airedale, number 3, they have all been great water fowlers, I have never tryed to use them as pointers. The current one is 3.5 months and licking my toes as I type, but so far he swims, retrives, comes, sits, and humps my wife's leg every chance he gets
Pudelpointers must be good waterfowl retrievers in order to be approved for breeding. It is a standard breeding test requirement. Both my 11 yr. old and my 8 month old pup will retrieve waterfowl (or upland birds or furred game) on water or land, and track when necessary. An advantage of the wiry coat is the quick dry with a shake. A couple of pictures from this fall
[Linked Image]
The old dog " Bear" with a good mornings work
[Linked Image]
The young pup "Chewie" trying to catch a beaver in the pond at 5 months of age
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Bear retrieving a beaver that I shot while the Lab just swims behind and watches the proceedings. 50 lb. beavers are too big and scary for most dogs, even Labs. Labs are undoubtedly better retrievers but PP's have a very strong prey drive.
I have had beagle's in the past for rabbit's and whitetail deer.
My more recent hunting dog's have both been English Springer spaniel's.
They are great family dog's as well as a good all around upland bird dog.
edit: as an aside, I may in the near future be in the market for a whitetail deer chasing dog, my wife hates beagles so, anyone got any other suggestion's??
Cool! I had only heard of pudelpointers and had never seen one, nor heard much about them.

Retrieving those big Canada geese is something that not all dogs can do, and not being intimidated by 50 pound of dead beaver is impressive!

I have to say they are a pretty neat looking dog, based on your photos!

Thanks for posting. I learn a lot here at the 'Fire!

John
After 6 labrador retrievers I bought a English Springer Spaniel last Christmas. He is going preserve hunting after christmas for the first time.

Doc
I am new to this forum, but I also have a Pudelpointer. I have always had Labs, or in one case a Lab/Chesse cross (that was a great dog). But once I finally admitted that I did not like to eat duck and that I was allergic to Labs, I discovered the Pudelpointer.

My dog's name is Cally and she is just over two years old. She weighs in at 48#. I love the size of this dog and her prey drive is the most amazing thing I have seen. We were out today in Eastern Oregon for Pheasant. I walked about eight mile today, but my dog did at least twice that. She is sleeping pretty hard right now.

We did end up getting our two pheasants and six quail.

One of the breed descriptions talks about their "clownish personality" and I have to say that it is abouslutly true. My dog is for sure the most vocal dog I have ever been around.

If you are looking for a wonderfull all around hunting dog that is not too big, and does not shed too much, then the Pudelpointer is a dog you should take a look at. Their prey drive is second to none and they are great family dogs...

Andrew
I've got a lab too. Had a Springer (awesome dog) but got tired of all the stickers in his coat. Labs shed, which sucks but I like how fast they dry and the absence of stickers.

Here is the campfire's 3rd yellow lab named Gunner.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I've got a lab too. Had a Springer (awesome dog) but got tired of all the stickers in his coat. Labs shed, which sucks but I like how fast they dry and the absence of stickers.

Here is the campfire's 3rd yellow lab named Gunner.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Very nice looking dog! I suspect you are required to use that O/U because your not hunting over a pointing dog, which requires a fine SxS! lol
I currently have an Eskimo Spitz mix that is the smartest dog that I have ever seen. He was abandoned at about eight weeks. Someone missed out because he is one awesome dog. Super family dog. Only problem is he can escape from anything when he wants to.
Springers and Cockers all:

Duffy: Have to download some more pics. They didn't get much better. Grouse, Pheasants, Doves, Turkey it didn't matter. He had nose, drive and a big engine-heart and lungs-he just wouldn't quit. Lived at the right time, when birds were many. I think he would have retrieved a Penguin if I shot it.

[Linked Image]

Sam: A little pocket rocket of a Cocker. Had potential. Lymes took Her way too young and it wasn't an easy take.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Abby: Not the best nose, but she made things happen with smarts and a hunters heart. No quit in Her.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/toby0223/image11.jpg[/img]

She went until there was nothing left.

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/toby0223/mupictures001.jpg[/img]
Toby:

At 5 just starting to put it together. Needs more birds.

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/toby0223/mypictures004-4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff242/toby0223/P1000611.jpg[/img]

Thanks for sharing your canine family with us, Battue!

Nice dogs (and guns).

John
Another "Gunner".....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/adfisk/IMG_0406.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/adfisk/IMG_0659.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/adfisk/IMG_0267.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/adfisk/IMG_0302.jpg[/img]

I have a Griff....Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I've hunted a cocker for the past five seasons for upland. Wonderful pet and field dog. Have a Boykin and this has been his first season. They have contrasting styles for sure but I can't put in words the joy of hunting birds with your own dogs.
Just love those fuzzy dogs. Wirehairs, Griffons and puddlepointers have that look.

My current two GWPs
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
always had Black and Tan Coonhounds...have one now names Jozi.
Welsh Springer Spaniel. Anyone else have one or ever hunted over one?
My best friends are all Drents. Here's the late Bowi, on a sharptail hunt. I miss him.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dutch

[Linked Image]

Outstanding pic.

UpLand 2.0 ReLoaded. Thanks for shopping...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heres mine, a GWP, with a couple of Sika Deer.

[Linked Image]
Vizsla's, I have two, here is one:

[Linked Image]
Mostly have had Labs, had a German Wirehair once. Planning on getting a Bracque du Bourbonnais this spring.
Kevin
Originally Posted by Grunter
Heres mine, a GWP, with a couple of Sika Deer.

[Linked Image]

They are very versatile, like most German breeds. I grew up around WPGs, similar dogs. They were tough as nails and fierce when necessary. They also handled delicate points and honors on snipe and quail.

Great Photos, all! cool
Here's another of the Trout-pointing Border Collie..IngwedogII

[Linked Image]
grin
Chesapeake. She thinks a good day involves ice water and multiple swims.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by HuntKY
I have a Griff....Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

From age 4 until age 21 I didn't know there were any other dogs. I love those fuzzy faces and stinky feet! laugh

[Linked Image]

Age 8 with Rip and Lady, and my dad...

[Linked Image]

Two years later, same dogs and same dad, but wild chuckar this time.
My dad's Lab/Beagle "Pepsi" was an amazing farm dog--she would run beside the tractor all day without a break when younger, tree squirrels, catch and kill woodchucks, chase away coyotes, not chase deer, herd cows, and come when called. Probably the funnest dog I've ever been around. Just plain good-natured, and loved to catch frogs in a slough and throw them in the air for hours on end.

My Brittany "Buddi" is the best dog I've owned. Got her as a free young castoff from someone who never trained her. She has easily trained me into a pretty good bird hunter, and can outretrieve most Labs until it gets REALLY cold.
my new pup Got her a week ago she pointed this wing this am just wanted to do the fishing pole/ wing trick to get a point out of her, She locked up 10-15 sec after seeing first wing

[Linked Image]
DANG! laugh

I think I'm in love. grin
Damn! That just about gets me chokey...my one and only bird dog was a Brit...long time gone....

I wish we had it to live all over again....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gawd....that one reminds me of another....
I've had a couple of Chessies. I've posted this before, but here he is again. He was good on waterfowl, upland game and furry critters. He would retrieve anything. AND he was great with the kids when they were little. He's been gone for nearly 3 decades and I still miss his presence - RIP Casey frown.

[Linked Image]
Great posts/ pics.

If only 'cause Thread snagged some views...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

+1 pudelpointer. Beretta- Only hunting dog I have yet been owned by. Will hopefully outlive me. Retrieved a winged blue grouse at 16 weeks, At 36 weeks old- holds points on chukars and pheasant. Smart eough to do it all in spite of my amatuer 'instructions'.
German Shorthair Pointer, now twelve and retired to the good life. Phenomenal on pheasant, grouse water retrieved ducks and geese. Even tried to bring me a rather large tom turkey. I had her trained to blood trail deer even. Best dog ever according to me. Now she's getting old dog bumps and bad legs. A little OCD and whiney out of boredom I suppose as the only birds she sees on a regular basis are some cardinals and the pet cockateil.
We had Britts for forty years. Great bird dogs, great family dogs too. When we moved up here, decided to try something "different", so we got into Fieldbred English Cockers.
Have a pair and they are dynamite grouse/wc dogs. Don't do too bad on a weeks trip out to the Dakotas every year either.

Here's Scouty:

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8cf29b3127ccec5c5f058e1bf00000010O00Act2TVu0cM2QPbz4S/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/[/img]

NB

We have had a couple of American Water Spaniels and have been very happy with them. Only real down side is their fur which can be a "real" burr magnet. They are truly versatile and will hunt just about anything with a scent. They like to fish as well as hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I understand the burr thing....

[Linked Image]

Your dog is quite versatile. Do you let him drive the boat too?

[Linked Image]
This is Mr. Heart, Braveheart to those who know him well. Knock on wood...doing fine at 11.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I have had Labs the last 20 years. 8 month old chocolat female right now.
Dats a classy lookin dog...
Great looking dogs

I have a vizsla now. Great hunting fishing dog and great companion

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My house currently looks like a rescue center. I have a 7 year old mut, a 2 year old lab, a 1 year old bulldog and a 9 year old boxer.

My mut I got back in college and is, far and away one of the best dogs a man could ask for. He is smart, protective, playful etc. He does great out in the woods, explores on his own but knows when to check up and check in, doesnt chase rabbits etc.

My fiance, 6 year old little girl and him went to the dog park last week. While they were letting the dogs off of the leashes in a small, fenced in enclosure, a pitbull ran up to the fence barking and looking nasty. Without a hesitation, he stepped between my girls and the dog and squared off with the pit bull. The pit backed down, they went inside and fun was had by all.

The other dog is my yellow lab Charlie, he is a great dog and I have never seen a dog love his master as much as this one does!
[Linked Image]
Ive had two yellow labs. My first one, Belle, had to be put down a couple years ago. Miss her bad. My current one, Jaeger, will be 3 in May. He is my best buddy. Goes everywhere with me, sleeps with me, lays on the couch with me, everything. Already dreading the day he is gone.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/Picture012-1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b231/cole_smith/Picture067.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]

Almost 13 and 14 now, I'm dreading the next couple of years.
Picture is probably 7 or 8 yrs old.

avery
You guys are killin' me..I remember a Yellow Lab pup...not so long ago...and a Brittany, a long time ago in a galaxy far away...
This is my 6 year old Major

[Linked Image]

we have the same great taste

[Linked Image]

Great pics, Guys.

Here's Scouty, 5 yo fieldbred English Cocker.

Best grouse dog I've ever had.

[Linked Image]

NB
Deertracker, feel free to post more pix of Jaeger, hes a handsome boy!

Heres my bulldog, fiance and little girl, the night after we got engaged.
[Linked Image]
Breaking the rules, playing fetch in the house.
[Linked Image]
Our first trip out together, a little challenge howl to this coyote who could for sure see us brought him in, thinking my then a pup Lab was challenging him.
[Linked Image]
Looking at the Lab photo's in here almost makes me want to take up duck hunting again just to justify getting a lab. But I've had pointing dogs a lot of years now.

This is Bodie
[Linked Image]

This is Squirt
[Linked Image]

This is Bodie in front and Squirt behind.
[Linked Image]
Our wirehaired pointing griffons...Alf and Maggie.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Our new brown dogs...second year after training

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice looking dogs Woody! grin

We are currently waiting and hoping to hear the pitter patter of little feet as a result of the breeding of these two...

The Prospective Mother... grin

[Linked Image]

The Prospective Father...

Doing a " Bark and Hold"...

[Linked Image]

We should know in a few weeks if the mating "took"... grin

This is Max, he is 5 1/2, just started to hunt him this year and he is turning into a dam fine upland dog.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Great pics, Guys.

[Linked Image]

NB

Thinking he and Toby could make a team.

[Linked Image]
Great pics guys.

I'm surprised it took 7 pages to get to the first English Setter.

Back when PA had some birds to hunt, I owned 3 Setters over the years and they were great dogs.

Always wanted a Gordon Setter, but probably won't happen at this stage of my life.

donsm70
Originally Posted by donsm70
Great pics guys.

Back when PA had some birds to hunt, I owned 3 Setters over the years and they were great dogs.

Always wanted a Gordon Setter, but probably won't happen at this stage of my life.

donsm70

North of Western Pa. there are Birds and they are the jewels of the Mountains.

If you can still go, then make it happen. You will not regret it.
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Great pics, Guys.

[Linked Image]

NB

Scouty deserves another post. Great pic.

Those "pocket rocket" English Cockers are just flat out cool and will win your heart with theirs. Let them know what you want with a soft hand and they will go to hell for you.

Looking for another to bud up with Toby. However, not sure if my heart can stand that much fun.
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by donsm70
Great pics guys.

donsm70

North of Western Pa. there are Birds and they are the jewels of the Mountains.

If you can still go, then make it happen. You will not regret it.

battue,

Are we talking about grouse in the ANF?

donsm70
Yes, and not only the ANF but also the entire Northern tier of the State. Birds can often be bunched up and in that big country you can pass them by, but then sometimes you don't.

Not unusual to get 15 to 25 flushes a day when things are going right. Not always, but often enough to make it worth having a Dog. The ANF has thousands of acres of multiple age clear cuts that are getting better with each year. Marcellus gas roads have opened up miles of edge cover.

Have also crossed paths with Bucks that will take your breath away. They are rare and it would not necessarily be my first choice to see Deer, but there are hogs in that country.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

American Brittany, here at 8months. I have a lot of training to do this spring/summer.. I hope to hunt him a ton next season, our first together.
Dig the "Ruff Language", as they're not unlike the UpLand Master's Degree.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doubt I'll every get a degree, but it's a great school.

Great pics!!!!

One male and two females?
© 24hourcampfire