Home
Posted By: duckster Bark collar? - 04/14/14
Question for all, I have a 1 year old Vizsla who is e-collar trained. She has periods where she will bark excessively in her kennel. Will using a electronic bark collar adversely effect her? Will it cause problem when using the e-collar in the field? Any other suggestions welcome. Thanks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: passport Re: Bark collar? - 04/14/14
Have you tried to figure out what is making her bark in her kennel? Is it a crate size kennel or a larger kennel where she can walk around?
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/14/14
She rarely barks in her crate, it is in her larger, outdoor kennel. I know some of it is that she just craves attention because there are some days when she will spend hours outside
Posted By: passport Re: Bark collar? - 04/14/14
Sounds like she may need to be run daily and not just left in the kennel. My old neighbor had a pointer mix that just wanted to be with people and or run daily. If you didn't spend time with him you heard about it....

Posted By: rlott Re: Bark collar? - 04/14/14
She's probably barking because 1-year old Vislas are psycho. Get out there and figure out why she's barking & then make that pup shut her yapper when you tell her to.
Posted By: Backroads Re: Bark collar? - 04/14/14
You own a Ferrari that can tell you when it wants out of the garage.
Exercise, followed by more exercise is your huckleberry.

High powered bird dogs do not suffer laziness in owners. grin

My GSP will get more vocal the longer he goes between exercise.

The Vislas that I have been around were VERY clingy dogs, always up in your grill or trying to get in your lap.

They did not like to be apart from the people.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/15/14
We get her out a couple of times per day. With the warmer weather will try and increase that amount to see if that helps. She does love people and will many times start in barking if we are outside and she is not with us.
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Bark collar? - 04/15/14
I can't say how it will effect your dog but I've seen them stop excessive barking with three good Labs, all from different bloodlines. There were no adverse effects in the field whether they were wearing an e-collar or not.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Bark collar? - 04/15/14
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I can't say how it will effect your dog but I've seen them stop excessive barking with three good Labs, all from different bloodlines. There were no adverse effects in the field whether they were wearing an e-collar or not.

My experience exactly.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/17/14
Thanks for the information, guys
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Bark collar? - 04/17/14
We have had very good results with the "ultrasonic" noise maker that signals when the dog barks. A smart dog learns in a couple of days that barking is annoying to their own hearing.
Posted By: greyghost1 Re: Bark collar? - 04/18/14
While it may subdue the barking others hit it right. Vizslas & Weimaraners don't do well being left out in kennels. They need to be with you more than a couple times a day. Otherwise they tend to develop nervous or destructive tendencies. If you can't bring her in, you may be better getting a lab.
Posted By: Michael_B Re: Bark collar? - 04/18/14
What Greyghost said. Vizslas don't do so well if treated like a pair of boots that get put away when they aren't needed. They need to live with you as part of the family.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/18/14
I didn't clarify very well, she is in the house most of the time, she goes to the kennel to eat twice a day and then for a couple of hours, here and there just to get some time outside. Sorry, I was not clear on that point. So the kennel time is just a break from indoors/crate. Thanks.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Bark collar? - 04/19/14
You see it as a break. She sees it as unhappy separation.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/20/14
Probably very true from her perspective.
Posted By: Michael_B Re: Bark collar? - 04/21/14
For 'outside time', take her and a baseball to a park. She'll be extatic fetching the ball until your throwing arm falls off. Vizslas are active intelligent dogs. They are happiest when they are engaged in their pack, and you are their pack leader.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/21/14
That is what we are doing more of now that the weather has warmed up. It helps some and just putting her on a tie out cable when we are working in the yard makes her happy.

I did get one of those ultrasonic bark limiters this weekend at Scheel's. So far, so good as she barked maybe 2 or 3 times and then nothing besides an occasional whine. As noted, Vizslas are smart and she seemed to have immediately figured out that she doesn't like the sound when she barks.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Bark collar? - 04/22/14
Yes, the ultrasonic works easily. We've found that it needs reinforcement every so often, but after awhile the dog just quits the nuisance barking.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/22/14
What do you do for reinforcement?
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/23/14
She seems to have determined that she can just bark through it. It worked pretty well for a couple of days, but now she is back to barking. Not always, just mostly at times when everyone is home and she thinks she is missing something important. Had a neighbor come over and complain yesterday. Have to try something different, it seems.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Bark collar? - 04/23/14
May be time to try something like the SportDog bark collar. I have one of these for my Lab. Uses elec. stimulation rather than sound, and has three types of correction, depending on what is needed for your dog.
My lab will usually only bark once before the collar kicks in- it has a mode that sets itself to the intensity of your dog's bark, and will respond if the dog barks at that level again. There are also user-determined settings, and a progressive mode that gets stronger with each successive bark.
My dog will bark at a lot of things while outside in her kennel- deer, rabbits, birds, you name it. With her collar on, usually one bark is all you are going to hear from her. In the house, no collar- I want her to bark if someone is at the door, or whatever.
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Bark collar? - 04/23/14
I use a Sport Dog bark collar on some of my dogs from time to time. It has never effected their collar conditioning.
Posted By: duckster Re: Bark collar? - 04/24/14
Thanks for the information.
© 24hourcampfire