Home
Posted By: pak Dogs for chuckers - 04/26/15
I will be moving to Wa. this year. I will be looking into and chasing the wiley chucker. Currently I do not have a dog, however would like to get one. What are the smallest breeds suitable for chuckers? Thanks
Posted By: new2elkhunting Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/26/15
I have a german shorthair by far my best upland game bird dog from quail pheasants and chuckers he does it all very smart loyal dogs and great family dogs he knows if I grab my shotgun and put on my bird vest it's time to go to work
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/26/15
Most of the best chuckar dogs I have been around have been German Shorthairs. As was said earlier, they also make fine family members.
Posted By: Frm Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
Check into the Mahoney Setter. They are small English Setters
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
It takes a pretty athletic (tuff) dog to really excel where Chuckar live.
I'd suggest a female German dog. Males are generally more durable but you said "smaller".
Grief bred GSP (my choice), GWP (they're tuff as nails), or maybe a Drat if you want more than just a meat dog.

Posted By: Reba Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
Get a pointing dog that is breed in one of the western chukar states, such as Idaho or Nevada.

I like GSP's however English Setters do very well.
Posted By: T Bone Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
GSP!

I've also hunted chuks over an excellent Brit.
Posted By: ribka Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
My vizsla has managed very well chasing chukars the past 10 years

Athletic male

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rlott Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
Jesus what a tank!
Posted By: wageslave Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/27/15
Originally Posted by pak
I will be moving to Wa. this year. I will be looking into and chasing the wiley chucker. Currently I do not have a dog, however would like to get one. What are the smallest breeds suitable for chuckers? Thanks

First thigs first......

chukar.

partridge. grin

Good Luck with the lifechange to Wa.
Posted By: pak Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/28/15
Thank you, I'm well in my 60's so dog endurance shouldn't be an issue:).
Posted By: mudhen Re: Dogs for chuckers - 04/30/15
I have hunted chukars with several breeds, but given your age and desire for a smaller dog, it would be hard to beat a good Brittany Spaniel. They make good house/companion dogs, too.
© 24hourcampfire