Home
Posted By: SamSteele Nova Scotia Duck Tollers? - 09/29/15
Anyone have one? Anything I need to know? Considering getting one for the family, with occasional use hunting upland birds.

SS
No experience here but would love to hunt over one.
Posted By: add Re: Nova Scotia Duck Tollers? - 09/29/15
Contact Sactoller here on 24hr.

This is his sig-line image smile

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ingwe Re: Nova Scotia Duck Tollers? - 09/30/15
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Anyone have one? Anything I need to know? Considering getting one for the family, with occasional use hunting upland birds.

SS

Should be great as a family dog.....
Posted By: VernAK Re: Nova Scotia Duck Tollers? - 09/30/15
A friend had had three females and they are very bright and friendly companion dogs......no experience with hunting them.
My first Toller love upland, she really shined on pheasant and chuckar.

My current girl, loves to duck hunt and thinks quail hunting is the cats ass!
Well it looks like we will be picking up our male toller pup on Dec 20th, so the hunt for a good name is on. So far my list includes :

Ruger
Cooper
Dakota
Copper
Zeke

Wife is liking Ruger the best so far. Any other suggestions?

SS
Posted By: ingwe Re: Nova Scotia Duck Tollers? - 12/02/15
Rigby
Don't mind Rigby but the wife isn't keen for some reason. I also like Argo, but see above...

Anyone have good training book recommendations? I have had farm dogs while growing up, but this will be my first retriever/indoor dog so I have a lot to learn.

SS
Originally Posted by SamSteele
Don't mind Rigby but the wife isn't keen for some reason. I also like Argo, but see above...

Anyone have good training book recommendations? I have had farm dogs while growing up, but this will be my first retriever/indoor dog so I have a lot to learn.

SS

Evan Graham, Bill Hillman and Mike Lardy materials are good.I personally used the Lardy material, Volume 1 would be all you need. DON'T let anyone tell Wolters books are good. They are the worst. I would recommend finding a local AKC hunt test club to train with. Go to a hunt test this Spring and watch the dogs run. That will tell who the better trainers are and learn from them.
P.S. Dogs with names like Ruger, hunter, gunner , etc. are way too common. Stick with two syllable names.
Sam Nero or Rex are not names that you will hear too offen. Good ludck with the pup. Merry Christmas. Cheers NC
© 24hourcampfire