Home
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/17/15
We have had our new golden, Maggie, for about a week now.. She is comfortable in the house.. Goes with us everywhere.. I figured it is time to introduce here to gunfire.. Took her up the creek looking to shoot a prairie dog and let her smell it.. Usually I do this with gophers, but they are down for the winter.. We found a nice fat one, and I popped it with the 39A and a cci hp..

At first she didn't know what to make of this thing!!!

She smelled from a distance!!! She also began to let out some shrill little barks..

[Linked Image]
Then she got braver.. She nosed then grabbed it by the head and wooled it around a bit.. That is all I wanted..
She had no fear of the shot.. The ride up the creek, she slept most of the way.. On the way down she wanted to look out the window, bark, and was generally interested in everything taking place.. I think she has the idea what her life will be like!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Sorry, this is the photo im meant to post!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/17/15
laugh
Posted By: battue Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/17/15
And the new journey begins.

Give Maggie a welcome head rub from me. She probably has had more than a few already I'm sure.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/18/15
Good on you, taking her out early to get her established.

Now, a question. Will she primarily be a pointer on those PD's, or a flusher? We can see that's she'll likely pick up on the retriever aspect of the game. grin

Methinks an extra doggie cookie is in order.

A slice of pie for you too.

Geno
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/18/15
I'm assuming the ride up the creek was in your old Toyota.

I'm picturing her head hanging out the window of that old truck and smiling.

Yes, Field, it was in the old Toyota.. I have two and 84 and 85.. this time of year I use the 85 as it has a better heater and I had a game carrier built for it.. Also, it has a little extra space behind the seats.. the dogs love riding there.. Have to get a photo of it some time.. She surely was smiling...
Posted By: MolonLabe41 Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/18/15
Awesome read, congratulations, ah yes the beginning stages of training.
Posted By: sactoller Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/25/15
Good looking pup!

The dog in my avatar was a Maggie...very partial to that name...Grin
Posted By: jimy Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/25/15
That puppys going to make for loads of fun, have you by any chance read The book game dog, by Bob Wathers (sp) ?

Goldens take to training like ducks to water, and it is a lot of fun.

Great pics by the way. Thanks.
Posted By: ribka Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 10/26/15
Good looking pup

Next year you'll be chasing birds with her
We got out for our first go at roosters this week.. While Maggie didn't put this one up, she did get to give it some good smells after Kate brought it in..

[Linked Image]
Later that morning I got into some huns.. My old 870 with a load of 5's managed to knock one down.. This was more Maggie's size!!

[Linked Image]
Sorry wrong photo above.. This was Maggie's hun:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Sorry wrong photo above.. This was Maggie's hun:

[Linked Image]

Gun Dog in the making!! cool cool
I sure hope so.. But the way she has been acting, it looks good.. thanks..
jimy, I have not read that book.. But goldens are such fun, loving dogs.. From a good breeder, I think just a bit of training and you have a good field dog.. None of mine would win trophies, they goof up, but sometimes they do perfect work and I miss a good shot..
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/16/15
Wyo,

I've never liked dogs that were like programmed robots. I like them with personalities, and a few flaws don't matter much.

After all, they're only human. wink
You are right about being human!!! And better than most humans!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/18/15
Wyo: those pics are THE BEST!!! laugh
ingwe, many thanks.. From a dog handler like yourself that is nice..
While we were heading to another pheasant cover, a covey of huns crossed the road... We got out and gave chase.. I only had some pheasant loads in my pocket 3 1/4 - 1 1/4- 4's.. got a shot and connected.. Kate over ran the bird, and Maggie picked up the scent... Just as she was about to nail it, Kate came in a scooped it up.. But Maggie was hot on the trail...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: battue Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/20/15
How does Kate react when Maggie steals a retrieve?
Posted By: ingwe Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/20/15
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, many thanks.. From a dog handler like yourself that is nice..

You've got to bear in mind Ive only trained one bird dog...my own Brittany.
Once I turned 'Pro' I trained dogs to find a different kind of bird...a jailbird. grin

But narcotics training was always my fave, and I gotta tell you I learned a TON about dog noses and their capabilities, drive, molecular movement etc.
Battue, Maggie was on the trail of scent of the bird as it lay on the ground.. The wind was coming right to her, Kate was off looking else where and I wasn't watching her.. She must have spotted the action or heard me encouraging Maggie to get the bird.. All at once she came flying by and picked up the bird..
Maggie didn't seem up set.. She just knew she was smelling something good.. She is a pretty forceful pup.. She gives Kate as good as she gets, considering her size..

ingwe, sounds like you had an interesting career.. When I read you were a dog handler or trainer, I was surprised you did not do more with bird dogs.. That brit was a beautiful dog.. Looks like you had some great memories there..
Posted By: ingwe Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/20/15
My Brit was a good dog....that said she was not a 'great' dog. Never lost a bird while I had her.

When she died I got a Border Collie x Aussie...the quintessential Montana cow dog, though working cows was the least of her duties. I was immediately spoiled by the intelligence of the herding breeds.....I loved my Brit, but she rode the short bus to school.

It took six months to effectively teach her right from left, it took six sessions to teach the cow dog....

Goldens are very bright dogs, you are probably spoiled too grin
ingwe, I have had 8 goldens.. All were very smart.. Except one I got from a puppy mill..(Didn't realize it at the time) Joy was a lovely dog.. Very loving, but not a serious hunter..She did some good work for me, but nothing like Peach, Kate, and Maggie.. They are all from the same breeder.. Excellent.. Two others Diana, my first and Toby my second were great dogs.. Diana was almost human like in her actions, and Toby believed there wasn't a ringneck alive he couldn't put into the air..
I have come to prefer females for my dogs.. They are our very best friends as you well know..
Battue, I was trying to post a pic of Maggie with a ringneck..
I hit it at the top of a hill and it did a long glide and fell dead in short grass.. Maggie was in the truck because we were on a long walk, but the bird flew almost to the truck.. I got Maggie out, and walked off like we were going hunting.. She got the scent of the dead bird from the breeze and homed right in on it.. She couldn't pick it up, it was bigger than she, but she tried dragging it.. It was a cute thing.. I have a pic of her with it, but photobucket lost it three times after I uploaded it.. May try later, but photobucket seems like a waste.. Anyway good hunting..
Posted By: battue Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/20/15
Toby is death on cripples. When one of my Pointer friends Birds end up in the nasty, the first thing they call for is Toby.

Toby and Merlot have had a couple contests on just who is going to do the retrieving. I separate them and then give them each a Bird throw while the other has to sit and watch. However, not sure if it will solve the situation.
I think photobucket has my pic.s.. Maybe I can get some posted.. Here is Maggie with the hun she "almost" picked up..

[Linked Image]
Finally located my uploads in photo bucket.. Here is the pheasant she found by herself..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: twofish Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/21/15
Good for you and Good for Maggie too!

Great pictures too.

Posted By: battue Re: Maggie's fist hunt!! - 11/21/15
Lot of places for a Bird to hide. Looks like Maggie is a winner!!!!
© 24hourcampfire