Home
Posted By: Poconojack Tick control.... - 05/22/16
What are you using?
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: Tick control.... - 05/23/16
I switched to Nexguard a couple months ago (chewable).

Frontline wasn't doing the job for my lab, and I hated having the stuff in his fur with my kids around him (right after it's put on him and it's wet).

So far, so good. I won't REALLY know till fall when he's in the brush and weeds hunting birds. It seemed last year the the ticks here (southeast PA) weren't horrible in the woods, but in grass/weeds, they were horrendous.

Posted By: pointer Re: Tick control.... - 05/23/16
Advantix II is what our vet recommended and what we used. This coming weekend will be a good test of it...
Posted By: Centurion75 Re: Tick control.... - 05/26/16
I'm trying a Seresto collar on my dog right now. Put it on about a month ago and no ticks so far. I tried all the drops in the past but as stated above I was also sick of the wet chemical on my dogs back with the kids around.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Tick control.... - 05/26/16
We have ticks, even in our yard. Frontline works ok for us. Now if I could get something for me.
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: Tick control.... - 05/27/16
Sawyer's for you. Spray your clothes, let dry, wear 'em. Enjoy being tick-free. The stuff works.

Link
Posted By: kingston Re: Tick control.... - 05/27/16
^^^^^^Permethrin^^^^^^^

Posted By: basdjs Re: Tick control.... - 05/27/16
I haven't found 1 tick on my English cocker since I began using the Seresto collar about 3 mos. ago.
Posted By: Andre Re: Tick control.... - 05/28/16
Advantix every month.
Posted By: johnw Re: Tick control.... - 05/30/16
The vet gave me a sample of advantix. Brought it home and opened it up to find that the vial had leaked inside the box.

Bought some at the store and 2 of the vials inside had leaked. Got a refund and bought the seresto collar.
Posted By: pointer Re: Tick control.... - 05/31/16
Originally Posted by pointer
Advantix II is what our vet recommended and what we used. This coming weekend will be a good test of it...
I found ticks on me and the boys, but none on the dog. I'm pretty happy with it thus far...
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Tick control.... - 05/31/16
Seresto collar last year on two dogs was excellent. Haven't made it to buy two this year, but on to do list. The pour ons didn't seem to work for us. The seresto did.
Posted By: tddeangelo Re: Tick control.... - 06/01/16
So far, so good on the nexguard (chewable) with my lab. He's been in the brush and weesds on my property and no ticks so far.

I'll see how it goes in the late summer/early fall when we're bird hunting. That's usually the really bad time for him with ticks, but for now, it seems to be doing quite well, and no mess of the liquid stuff (we'd used FrontLine previously).
Posted By: cv540 Re: Tick control.... - 06/01/16
Tag
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Tick control.... - 06/06/16
ALL members of a local Beagle Club have been using Python Purple cow ear tags cut into 1/4's and then affixed to the dog's collar with a zip tie. A Google search revealed this method is commonly used with very positive results by many who own hunting dogs....
Posted By: dassa Re: Tick control.... - 06/10/16
I found ticks on me and the boys, but none on the dog. I'm pretty happy with it thus far...

When we first rescued our dog, the rescue agency had been using Advantage (not rated for ticks). Or vet recommended switching to advantix for the ticks. The first week, we found two ticks on her. Once the advantix had time to spread, we haven't found any more.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Tick control.... - 06/10/16
The Python Purple cow ear tags have the exact same %'s of active ingredients as canine Spectra Shield collar medallions and cost about $35.00 for 20 tags that can be cut into 80 sections. A lifetime supply as a section of tag lasts for 3 to 4 months....
© 24hourcampfire