Home
Posted By: vapodog question about wirehairs - 07/02/16
Are GWPs good water dogs....will they retrieve ducks and geese on the water?
Yes they love the water and love to hunt
Posted By: erich Re: question about wirehairs - 07/02/16
Yes they make excellent water dogs. My trooper dog hunts 90% waterfowl as I live right on the pacific ocean. Geese, duck, brant you name it and I get nice points on snipe on the way to the blind. The learn blinds, mark well and take hand signal easily.

When they call them versatile hunting dogs they know of what they speak. We hunt grouse and woodcock in northern WI. Pheasant, huns and sharpies in MT and the Dakotas. Pheasant, quail and waterfowl in WA. After Jan is over he's my coyote dog in NV, UT. AZ and NM.
Posted By: vapodog Re: question about wirehairs - 07/03/16
thanks for the replies.....I have ordered a wirehair based mostly on these statements.,......It is to be born first of August.....might even get in some bird hunting this season as well.
Posted By: Backroads Re: question about wirehairs - 07/03/16
I hunt with a couple wirehairs and griffons and they are only bested in the water by well bred labs and chessies.

Unfortunately the best hunters have been knot heads.
Hopefully YMMV.
Webbed feet...undercoats...hard-headed...

They are traditionally good water dogs.

I need to get my 7 m/o Rosie to the lake and find out. laugh

You actually have water out there? 😃
For the first time in five years we have some water! laugh laugh
Posted By: broomd Re: question about wirehairs - 07/08/16
Originally Posted by Backroads
I hunt with a couple wirehairs and griffons and they are only bested in the water by well bred labs and chessies.

Unfortunately the best hunters have been knot heads.
Hopefully YMMV.

Yep, love our griffons....best all 'round breed out there.
Posted By: ribka Re: question about wirehairs - 07/09/16
my one year whpg made over 50 water retrieves last year in some pretty cold conditions

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WAs pretty impressed when she dove under water to go after a wounded drake mallard

She is a bit of a stubborn knothead at times but has a good disposition and loves to hunt

Was trying to get her to pose for last pic but she was to interested in a few ducks that landed the far end of the pond
Originally Posted by ribka
my one year whpg made over 50 water retrieves last year in some pretty cold conditions

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

WAs pretty impressed when she dove under water to go after a wounded drake mallard

She is a bit of a stubborn knothead at times but has a good disposition and loves to hunt

Was trying to get her to pose for last pic but she was to interested in a few ducks that landed the far end of the pond

Love the photos! cool

Is that a Sauer double?
Posted By: ribka Re: question about wirehairs - 07/11/16
close

simson suhl

Posted By: moose444 Re: question about wirehairs - 07/14/16
Please understand that your dog is quite smart. They know much more about the outdoors and hunting than humans. They are not hard headed, just right. Miss my Junior one of the best buddies and a hunter of anything.
Posted By: ribka Re: question about wirehairs - 07/14/16
Originally Posted by moose444
Please understand that your dog is quite smart. They know much more about the outdoors and hunting than humans. They are not hard headed, just right. Miss my Junior one of the best buddies and a hunter of anything.

Would have to agree. They're a different breed compared to other hunting breeds have owned.Smart and very driven and intense when hunting but sweet gentle disposition. Good breed
© 24hourcampfire