Home
Posted By: realitycheck 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
Any info/experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser round and its performance on large game?Any opinions on its worth? Is it in the same class as the .375 HandH or is that just hype? I already know the ballistic charts,i can read them,im asking for experience. Thank you for looking.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
I bought into the "hype" finally and used it last year on a cow elk:

[Linked Image]

Put this one down with no problem. However, the thing I really like about it is how it shoots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's not a 375 H&H in terms of raw power, but it doesn't tread too far behind it either..
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
BSA, beware of your back-stop, looks like that thing waaayyyyyyy over penetrated. laugh

Gunner
And my 9.3-62mm pushing the 320 gr Woodleighs to a touch over 2400 fps is right with the old 375 H&H. wink

Gunner
Posted By: realitycheck Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Put this one down with no problem. However, the thing I really like about it is how it shoots:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's not a 375 H&H in terms of raw power, but it doesn't tread too far behind it either..

im fan of the 9.3, when I said "hype" I meant uneducated people talking about it."hype"was probably a bad choice of words.I meant like for instance,on wiki it says it the 9.3x62 has cleanly taken elephants and Norma sells solids for DG,so I was just wondering about real world experience.you provided it.Thanks for your reply
Originally Posted by gunner500
Any my 9.3-62mm pushing the 320 gr Woodleighs to a touch over 2400 fps is right with the old 375 H&H. wink

gunner

im inclined to agree.Id say with solids in Africa,id try buff with it.if I had nothing else bigger.Or maybe even anyway. I just gotta get to Africa!
Me too, my 9.3 holds four down and of course one in the pipe, my loads both soft and solids hit to the same poi at 100 yards, I use RL-17 powder.

Bang 'em with a soft first, if they turn to run there is 2 more each solids and softs staggered in the magazine.

Gunner

BSA, beware of your back-stop, looks like that thing waaayyyyyyy over penetrated. laugh

Gunner

Gunner, you are definitely correct. That dang 286gr. partition probably would have penetrated 2 cows eek...Good thing for me, they were traveling single file. That is before the shot was fired. Then after that, they were hi tailing it out of there. Shot was only 88 yards and in the scrub oak. Backstop was more scrub oak grin:

[Linked Image]

I went back later to find my Norma brass sick and take a picture of where I was standing to show the small window for the shot...I knew my hunting partner was off to my right and he also bagged a very nice cow that day.
LOL, 10-4 BSA..............HOLY ice cold pint of GUINNESS, I just realized I'm in the Euro forum. laugh

Gunner
Me too, my 9.3 holds four down and of course one in the pipe, my loads both soft and solids hit to the same poi at 100 yards, I use RL-17 powder.

Bang 'em with a soft first, if they turn to run there is 2 more each solids and softs staggered in the magazine.

Gunner

Gunner, my 9.3 holds 5 down and 1 in the pipe (if need be). My 375 H&H holds 4 down and 1 in the pipe:

[Linked Image]

I like the idea of staggering the solids and softs....
LOL, 10-4 BSA..............HOLY ice cold pint of GUINNESS, I just realized I'm in the Euro forum. laugh

Gunner

Funny Gunner, I knew that but it's always fun commenting on the rifles we have grin
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
9.3x62 is the real deal. It wouldn't be my first choice for some DG, but a great choice for a lot of stuff.

Here's an AHR CZ with VX-6 1-6x24, illuminated German #4 in Talley QD's.

It shoots most loads into an inch or slightly larger, 250 gr. NAB's into a cloverleaf.

DF

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
9.3x62 is the real deal. It wouldn't be my first choice for some DG, but a great choice for a lot of stuff.

It shoots most loads into an inch or slightly larger, 250 gr. NAB's into a cloverleaf.

DF

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle DF. And I'm sure you don't mind that you are in the Euro forum either grin...I think the OP just wanted us to share our thoughts and experiences. DF, have you taken any game animals with the 9.3x62mm. I'm still a newbie to the cartridge, but love shooting mine. Heck, I even shot it a couple weekends ago at our centerfire rifle shoot just for chits and giggles and shot a 100-3x with my old CZ 550 American..
Yessir, punch deep, poke clean through, nothing can take much of that.

Gunner

Gunner

Funny Gunner, I knew that but it's always fun commenting on the rifles we have grin

I was just staggering down the 'fire column and saw 9.3 and stopped by. blush grin

Dang nice boomer DF.

Gunner
Posted By: Stickbow Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
It's a fine round for bigger game. I have seen it used many a time on APG in the past as well as the X74 and both did well. They remind me much of an '06 in the respect that they get it done without a lot of glitz and glam but with a boring steadfast work ethic matched by few. It wouldn't be my first as an antelope/pronghorn gun but as an elk tool for a hunter, I would say yes. I have watched them used on whitetail and black bear on the low end with great efficiency and very tidy kills saving the blood shot meat that many smaller magnums are famous for. In fact the CZ above would be about ideal for a NA big game rifle.
Posted By: RaySendero Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
Originally Posted by realitycheck
Any info/experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser round and its performance on large game?Any opinions on its worth? Is it in the same class as the .375 HandH or is that just hype? I already know the ballistic charts,i can read them,im asking for experience. Thank you for looking.

I have never shot factory 9,3x62 ammo. Always reloaded for mine. I did most of my reload work-up with Prvi 285s to save $$.$$ - Then switched to 286 NPTs. I never shot the Prvi at anything but paper. Also worked-up a reload with the 300 Swift "A"s.

I've shot both deers and hogs with the Noslers - Goes straight thru from any angle taking out all hind, muscle and bone along the way. Entrance hole is bullet size - Exit is 1.5" round. So far (knock-on wood), that 286 NPT has knocked everything down/over and they didn't get back up.

My 9,3 is the only 100% DRT rifle I have or have ever owned. I haven't tried the 300 "A"s on game yet, because I haven't found the beast that can stop the 286 NPTs.

DF

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle DF. And I'm sure you don't mind that you are in the Euro forum either grin...I think the OP just wanted us to share our thoughts and experiences. DF, have you taken any game animals with the 9.3x62mm. I'm still a newbie to the cartridge, but love shooting mine. Heck, I even shot it a couple weekends ago at our centerfire rifle shoot just for chits and giggles and shot a 100-3x with my old CZ 550 American..

Not that I would admit... blush

Haven't owned it long enough to make a legal hunting season... smile

Although some of these Cajuns down here often look at that as just a mere inconvenience. Hunting season in some sectors opens July, 1st and closes June, 30th... laugh

But, to answer your question, not yet... cool

DF

edited to add, folks on the Euro section may not understand my post... whistle

Gotta know these Cajuns to explain them, and I'm not sure I can completely do that... grin

Down here, it's not your deer hunting round, everyone knows it's the .22WMR. The question for discussion, how many million candle power are you burning... smirk
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: 9.3x62 - 08/11/13
grin grin DF, you shouldn't be talking bout dem coonies lak dat..
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
grin grin DF, you shouldn't be talking bout dem coonies lak dat..

Yeah, these Euro dudes would never understand, even if they saw it with their own eyes... laugh

Can't say I understand them, either... cool

Laissez les bons temps rouler, even in the swamps and marshes... blush

I was once in Paris along with some Cajuns. Would you believe, I could understand more Parisian French than they could. And, that's not much.

I guess evolution with web feet and other adaptations left something to be desired, maintaining the French tongue. Cajun ain't French, at least in France. It does seem to work down on the bayou... cool

DF

DF

[Linked Image]

Although some of these Cajuns down here often look at that as just a mere inconvenience. Hunting season in some sectors opens July, 1st and closes June, 30th... laugh

DF

Gotta know these Cajuns to explain them, and I'm not sure I can completely do that... grin

Down here, it's not your deer hunting round, everyone knows it's the .22WMR. The question for discussion, how many million candle power are you burning... smirk

ha that's funny. boo-dan at de house yassir!!

DF

[Linked Image]

DF

ha that's funny. boo-dan at de house yassir!!

Our Euro pards probably don't know what you're talking about.

But, I sure do... grin

When one gets used to good Cajun cooking, food from other areas of the country can sometimes be a bit bland... blush

DF
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
Well, I don't know about that. I used mine to shoot the head off a squirrel the other day wink
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
Originally Posted by RaySendero

I have never shot factory 9,3x62 ammo. Always reloaded for mine. I did most of my reload work-up with Prvi 285s to save $$.$$ - Then switched to 286 NPTs. I never shot the Prvi at anything but paper. Also worked-up a reload with the 300 Swift "A"s.

I've shot both deers and hogs with the Noslers - Goes straight thru from any angle taking out all hind, muscle and bone along the way. Entrance hole is bullet size - Exit is 1.5" round. So far (knock-on wood), that 286 NPT has knocked everything down/over and they didn't get back up.

My 9,3 is the only 100% DRT rifle I have or have ever owned. I haven't tried the 300 "A"s on game yet, because I haven't found the beast that can stop the 286 NPTs.

Ray,

I've used the Previs in both 9,3X62 and 9,3X74R with very good results. They are among the most accurate bullets I've ever used. At the relatively slow speed of either round the conventional cup-n-core design has been fine so far. I also liked the Nosler Ballistic Tips and now the 250 AccuBonds, but the 285 Previs always shoot well inside the others.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
Well, I don't know about that. I used mine to shoot the head off a squirrel the other day wink

You bad as these Cajuns... blush

Season ain't open... laugh

DF
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
I knew someone would say something. "Squirrel" was the easiest thing to think of so you cajuns would understand grin. It was actually a rodent around here that we call a gray digger. They resemble a ground hog, but look more like squirrels. No season on them and I don't even think a cajun would eat one sick
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
I knew someone would say something. "Squirrel" was the easiest thing to think of so you cajuns would understand grin. It was actually a rodent around here that we call a gray digger. They resemble a ground hog, but look more like squirrels. No season on them and I don't even think a cajun would eat one sick

I wouldn't be too sure about that... blush

Enough hot sauce and enough beer, always a possibility... laugh

DF

edited to add, if you want to get rid of them, tell the Cajuns they're good to eat and the season is closed... cool
Posted By: grand_veneur Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
I think I'd like those cajuns grin

Lots of people think the 9.3 would work just fine on cape buffalo, and i use to think they're right, but are they so many country in Africa where you can legally (it's not the bayou out there) use less than a .375 ?

Do you find factory ammo in the US ?
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: 9.3x62 - 08/12/13
[quote=bsa1917hunter]I knew someone would say something. "Squirrel" was the easiest thing to think of so you cajuns would understand grin. It was actually a rodent around here that we call a gray digger. They resemble a ground hog, but look more like squirrels. No season on them and I don't even think a cajun would eat one sick

I wouldn't be too sure about that... blush

Enough hot sauce and enough beer, always a possibility... laugh

DF

edited to add, if you want to get rid of them, tell the Cajuns they're good to eat and the season is closed... cool [/quot

don't forget to add rice and okra. I saw some eating nutria so your skwerls wouldn't be safe..
Posted By: idahoguy101 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/13/13
For me the recoil of the the 9.3 is easier than that of a 375. I don't think that any critter you shoot with a 9.3 will be less dead than if you used a 375. But that 800 plus less foot-pounds of recoil energy is easier on my shoulder.
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/13/13
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
I think I'd like those cajuns grin

Lots of people think the 9.3 would work just fine on cape buffalo, and i use to think they're right, but are they so many country in Africa where you can legally (it's not the bayou out there) use less than a .375 ?

Do you find factory ammo in the US ?

I've used the 9.3 X 62 in Tanzania, Zambia, and Cameroon on buffalo. Kills them dead! I roll my own ammo, but it is available in the US.
Any my 9.3-62mm pushing the 320 gr Woodleighs to a touch over 2400 fps is right with the old 375 H&H. wink

gunner

im inclined to agree.Id say with solids in Africa,id try buff with it.if I had nothing else bigger.Or maybe even anyway. I just gotta get to Africa!

No on the solids for buff! 250 grain TSX is the way to go. I've tried both and the TSX puts them down faster. You do need to get to Africa and ruin like the rest of us. grin
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/13/13
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
For me the recoil of the the 9.3 is easier than that of a 375. I don't think that any critter you shoot with a 9.3 will be less dead than if you used a 375. But that 800 plus less foot-pounds of recoil energy is easier on my shoulder.

I agree with that and I like the .375 H&H a bunch.

But, it seems to me, the 9.3x62 offers a power dividend per unit of recoil, compared with the .375. Or said another way, it seems the difference is recoil is greater than the difference in actual field performance, if that makes sense.

DF
That is the way i've found it, and many others agree. People who have hunted with the 9.3 X 62 generally don't have much controversy to argue about. Pretty much all agree it works and doesn't beat you up. It's not considered a "stopper", so nobody compares it to a .458 or .470.

The various .416's are arguably better for buffalo, but dead is dead, right? It's just hard to find fault with the performance of the 9.3 in the field, and is a pleasure to shoot compared to some others.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/14/13
I've considered using mine on a Nilgai bull in S. TX, March, 2014. Either the 9.3x62, or maybe my recently built .404J, just for grins.

Either one should do the trick. Tough choice.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/14/13
They need to have a little emoticon that says "bastid".... grin...Just sayin whistle
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/15/13
I've considered using mine on a Nilgai bull in S. TX, March, 2014. Either the 9.3x62, or maybe my recently built .404J, just for grins.

DF

[Linked Image]

Need to know more about the build on those two. Looking good!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/15/13
Originally Posted by hatari

DF

[Linked Image]

Need to know more about the build on those two. Looking good!

Top one is an AHR CZ 9.3x62 that I traded a Spanish shotgun for. Nice shotgun, I just couldn't hit anything with it. I can hit pretty good with this one. It has a VX-6 1-6x24 #4, illuminated in Talley QD's and really likes 250 gr. NAB's with JB's load.

The bottom is a .404J with #1450 contour 24" Walther on a New Haven SS Classic, .300 RUM donor. It has Williams bottom metal in an Echols Legend, std. fill, with cross pins, is Steel Bedded with pillars and free floated. It wears a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 T* in Talley QD's. It has NECG red fiberoptic front, M-70 factory fold down express rear, set up for a Talley peep.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7785486/6

DF
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/15/13
Top notch rifles right there!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/16/13
Top notch rifles right there!

Thanks for those kind words.

I'm still working up loads for both. I went with the .404J because of its history and thinking it would do about anything I'd ever need it to do. Building a .404J on a CRF, RUM action is an economical way to get there.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/16/13
Not to horn in DF but, I just bought a POS pre-64 M-70 in 270 WCF with a ruined bore, gonna send it out to be re-rifled/re-chambered to 9.3-62mm.

Black matte cerakote sitting in an old Rimrock syn stock with a 1.75-6 VX-3 in a set of cerakoted DD Leupold B&R.

Aught to be a nice light weight rifle with mucho punch, thinkin' 250 gr. Accubonds at 2700 fps.

Gunner
Now, that sounds nice... cool

If you dropped it in an Echols Legend, it would be very similar to Phil Shoemaker's LW 9.3x62, which is a very light, easy packing rifle. By the time you take that much steel out of the factory barrel, it's going to be pretty light, as is his. A Rimrock syn. stock should work and I really like the VX-3 1.75-6.

Who's doing the barrel work?

DF
10-4 DF, may take her to Tennessee for a hog kill, JES reboring is doing the work.

Gunner
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/16/13
10-4 DF, may take her to Tennessee for a hog kill, JES reboring is doing the work.

Gunner

Gunner, if you don't mind can you keep me posted on the quality of work from JES. I've seen them advertised and have heard good things. That's going to be a snazzy rifle when you get it back. I contemplated having the same done with a 30-06 and now I'm thinking about maybe turning my tang safety into a 9.3. I really like my CZ550 and the cartridge in general..
Sho' nuff BSA, will hit it with a bore scope on return and check out the reamer work.

Gunner
That's an elegant solution for a worn out, POS .270, '06, etc. with a good, solid action. A new lease on life, a reincarnation as it were.

DF
Yes, there lies new steel under the pits. shocked grin

Bet she's gonna be a good shooter.

Gunner
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/16/13
I dig the green SS one. Gunner's got the right idea.
This is gonna be a fast and fun build. wink

Gunner
Yes, there lies new steel under the pits. shocked grin

Bet she's gonna be a good shooter.

Gunner

Most 9.3x62mm's are. I'll be rooting for you and the worn out POS grin
LOL, i packed up the barreled action tonight, now need to find time to take 'er to UPS. wink

Need to check with Karnis on a cool paint job for the stock too.

Gunner
You did good on that deal and your buddy missed out!! I see the potential in that rifle..
Posted By: EdM Re: 9.3x62 - 08/16/13
I put mine together, on a LaBounty rebored FN 30-06, in 2000 and took it hunting in 2002 with the 250 gr Original X. The load was pushing 2650 fps and the bullet performed advertisement perfect. The first critter,

[Linked Image]

the third and fourth with one bullet, grin

[Linked Image]

and the last,

[Linked Image]
Gotta be the least expensive way to get into a 9.3x62. Any solid M-70 or 98 Mauser '06, .270 or similar would make a great 9.3, essentially for the cost of a rebore. I've read that those can be real shooters, some as good as a new premium barrel. I guess it boils down to the quality of the barrel work.

DF
You did good on that deal and your buddy missed out!! I see the potential in that rifle..

Dang right BSA. wink

Nice shootin' and good lookin critters EDM.

Gunner
I just bought a POS pre-64 M-70 in 270 WCF with a ruined bore, gonna send it out to be re-rifled/re-chambered to 9.3-62mm.

Gunner

There are those on the Fire who will be very pleased that you're turning a "gay" .270 into a manly 9.3x62.

DF
Posted By: Dixie_Dude Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
I have an 8mm Mauser, one of those Russian WWII captured ones. Should I make a 9.3x62 out of it? I already have a 35 Whelen.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
I just bought a POS pre-64 M-70 in 270 WCF with a ruined bore, gonna send it out to be re-rifled/re-chambered to 9.3-62mm.

Gunner

There are those on the Fire who will be very pleased that you're turning a "gay" .270 into a manly 9.3x62.

DF

10-4 DF, gonna make a stud outta that rifle, she left on the brown truck headed West today. wink

Gunner
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I have an 8mm Mauser, one of those Russian WWII captured ones. Should I make a 9.3x62 out of it? I already have a 35 Whelen.

I would call the reboring facility and ask about the conversion, if there is enough barrel metal for the rebore and if the reamer will clean up the old chamber.

DF
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
FWIW...The outside specs of an FN action 98 Husqvarna 30-06 and 9,3X62 barrels were the same on the ones I had side by side and measured. I was considering turning the '06 into a 9,3, but JB bought it as a 30-06.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
JES does good work, have no fear. My 9.3 started out as a Classic Stainless .30-06 which he worked over very nicely back in March. Accubonds and partitions shoot great. The 286 gr TSXs not so much, but I stopped playing with them once I saw how well the Noslers shoot.

I had Jess cut the barrel on mine to 20.5. Bedded in it's McMillan Winlite stock, it goes 7.5 with the open sights. So far all I've killed with it is a brown bear and a mountain goat, but I'm thinking deer at any angle don't stand a chance.
Good to know, Thanks PA.

Gunner
My 9.3 really likes 250 gr. NAB's, going around half inch. It will do inch or slightly larger with 286 gr. NPT's and 270 gr. Speers. Haven't tried 250 gr. TSX's, although I have them.

DF
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
That was my experience as well, the accubonds shot just a smidge better than the partitions, but not enough to worry about. I had Leupold install a custom dot reticle in my scope, giving me dead on holds out to 400 yards with the partition.

BTW, I've got 46 286 grain TSX's I don't need if anyone wants to work a trade for 286 partitions, 286 grain privis, or 270 grain speers.
Posted By: Karnis Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
My Ruger in 9.3x62 shoots like a house on fire. Have only tried the 250 TSX, Accubonds and TTSX's. Pure wickedness.
Seems to be an easy round to find accurate loads for.

DF
Posted By: Karnis Re: 9.3x62 - 08/17/13
Certainly does which is always a good thing.
My 9.3 really likes 250 gr. NAB's, going around half inch. It will do inch or slightly larger with 286 gr. NPT's and 270 gr. Speers. Haven't tried 250 gr. TSX's, although I have them.

DF

Since this is a bastard rifle so to speak all tradition is off the table, I'll be gunning for 2700 fps with the 250 gr Accubonds with this Win semi custom, my Heym Mauser 9.3-62mm being a traditional type rifle so to speak with quarter rib sights and walnut stock uses the 320 gr Woodleighs at 2400+ fps with RL-17 powder, a mini African Express rifle if you will.

Gunner
Gunner

Leave it to you to squeeze all the juice out of the lemon.

What's your RL-17 load for the 320 gr.?

DF

I'll go out and kill the pool pumps and close up the reloading shop in a bit and grab my load recipe book. wink

Gunner
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

You make it hard for a guy to not want a 9.3. That elk picture is just awesome. Your groups, well, they are awesome as well.

Me and another buddy passed around a GB add for a Pre 64 rebarreled in 9.3x62 and man, it was hard to not move on that one. Looked very nice.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
I think if you try it, you'll like it. It's a great round for critters big and small at any normal range.

And by small, I mean deer, though prairie dogs likely wouldn't like it either.
Oh, I have no doubt's about that. I love the 338/35 and larger bullets from the 06 and Win Mag cases..

I have an old 338 getting ready for JES to work his magic and make it a Newton.. That is a life long dream.

The 9.3 is pretty high on the list of wants though..

Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Gunner

Leave it to you to squeeze all the juice out of the lemon.

What's your RL-17 load for the 320 gr.?

DF

DF below is the load you asked about.

^^^^^SAFE IN MY RIFLE, WORK UP PLEASE^^^^^

9.3-62mm chambered in a modern Heym Mauser bolt action rifle.

320 gr. Woodleigh Weldcore PP
63.5 gr. RL-17
Fed 215 mag
COL 3.340"
Velocity 2410 fps.......from a 25" barrel.

Extremely accurate and consistent load.

Gunner
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Man, it's pretty awesome what RL-17 can do in some rounds.

You've turned your 9.3 into a DG "big gun".

Always amazed, never surprised.

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Thanks DF, should add, loads were put up in Hornady brass, it's holding up really well, separated 5 cases and primer pockets are still tight after four firings of the above mentioned load. wink

Gunner
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Originally Posted by beretzs
Oh, I have no doubt's about that. I love the 338/35 and larger bullets from the 06 and Win Mag cases..

I have an old 338 getting ready for JES to work his magic and make it a Newton.. That is a life long dream.

The 9.3 is pretty high on the list of wants though..

beretzs, let us know how that turns out. Thanks..
Posted By: pre6422hornet Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Man that is next on my list is to take a pre 64 in .270 or 3006 and send it to JES to be transformed into a 9.3. I already have a M70 in 375 H&H, bu the cool factor of the 9.3 is pretty darn awesome.

I just am afraid that it will take the place of my .348 for whitetails here in Missouri.
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
Man that is next on my list is to take a pre 64 in .270 or 3006 and send it to JES to be transformed into a 9.3. I already have a M70 in 375 H&H, bu the cool factor of the 9.3 is pretty darn awesome.

I just am afraid that it will take the place of my .348 for whitetails here in Missouri.

If your 348 is a model 71, I don't think you have anything to worry about wink
Posted By: Otter6 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Why do most folks start with the M70 for a 9.3 re-bore? Is it simply a preference thing,C.R.F, or is there a problem with the Remingtons?
Originally Posted by Otter6
Why do most folks start with the M70 for a 9.3 re-bore? Is it simply a preference thing,C.R.F, or is there a problem with the Remingtons?

I would bet it's because they are just partial to a Model 70 is all. When I think of heavy bullet launchers, the M70 and Mauser really float to the top of my brain.

I think a M700 could be built into a 9.3 and be pretty slick as well.
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet

If your 348 is a model 71, I don't think you have anything to worry about wink

I know where you can send that Model 71 Pat, just in case you are bored with it!

Pretty sure I could give it a loving home....

I'm not going to touch that with a 10' pole sick...However, I did see one remington that was rebored to 9.3x62mm that I would have loved to have snagged. It was a very nice 760 wink
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Yeah, a 760 in 9.3x62 would be a great packing rifle where the big bears roam.

I've read the 760 is popular in Australia where that all knowing government outlawed semi-auto guns. Seems it would be about as fast a repeater one could have without auto loaders, lever guns included.

A lotta firepower in one handy package.

DF
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13

There are A LOT of shot out Mdl 70s in 30-06, and they make for a great 9,3X62 re-bore.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
Interestingly, when I first spoke with Jess at JES about having my classic stainless done he wanted me to check on feeding. He said he knew from experience that the Remington and Ruger .270/'06 conversion would feed just fine, but he wasn't sure about the winchester. Happily, they feed very slickly.
Posted By: pacecars Re: 9.3x62 - 08/18/13
JES did the rebore on a Brno 8x57 and it feeds perfectly
Posted By: HunterMontana Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13
Made my 9.3x62 out of my old loaner rifle, a 30-06 Ruger tang safety. Ah, very light barrel after re-bore, about 8 pounds with everything on it. A delight to carry, no fun at all from the bench. Feeds perfectly, actually very accurate 1.5" at 100 consistently with JB's Ramshot Big Game load and either Nosler or Woodleigh bullets. Culled a bunch of eland cows with it a few years back, impressive is an understatement. I've shot antelope, whitetail and mule deer, elk and bear and the usual African stuff, no question, utterly dependable both rifle and round. Doesn't squash up the meat either, big bonus.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13
What are your favorite "using" loads?

DF
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13

I would bet it's because they are just partial to a Model 70 is all. When I think of heavy bullet launchers, the M70 and Mauser really float to the top of my brain.

I think a M700 could be built into a 9.3 and be pretty slick as well.

Hope the 700 action will be good. Jumped into the 700 pond today with this one. Will get a look at later this week or early next. Looks like a Ruger type front sight added. Probably start with Privi ammo.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Looks like a half inch thick recoil lug. That must be an aftermarket barrel, not a re-bore.

What's the story?

DF
Yes, it is a 24" custom barrel, make unknown. XS peep sight. Matte finish, trigger job and tuned action. Will see how she does after I get my hands on it. Claimed that quite a few $$ was spent on this.
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13

DF

62g H414

Fed 215

250 TSX

Kills cape buffalo, and anything smaller dead!
Originally Posted by diamondjim
Yes, it is a 24" custom barrel, make unknown. XS peep sight. Matte finish, trigger job and tuned action. Will see how she does after I get my hands on it. Claimed that quite a few $$ was spent on this.

Don't doubt that.

I'm curious about that very thick recoil lug and the weight.

I like what was done with the sights.

Give us a report when you get it.

DF
Will do.
Originally Posted by hatari

DF

62g H414

Fed 215

250 TSX

Kills cape buffalo, and anything smaller dead!

Thanks, will check it out.

May have to try Gunner500's load with 320 gr. Woodleigh's. Of course, he has to turn a medium into a semi big gun... blush

But, that's just Gunner... laugh

DF
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13
Hey DF, if a mans gonna go, ya might as well go fully loaded. grin

Gunner
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13
cool cool too Cool DJ!

Has anyone ever had a 9,3X62 that didn't shoot tight groups? I never hear about any, and the half dozen 9,3X62 rifles I've owned of vastly different types and makes all shot inside of most of my others.

It was a great design then, and it is a great round, still. I believe many shooters shoot better with it than they do with a 375 H&H; it does almost what the 375 does but without the little extra bite-back. That in itself makes it "more accurate". It doesn't make flinchers. wink
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13
I haven't had any medium bores that didn't shoot well.
Posted By: EdM Re: 9.3x62 - 08/19/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I haven't had any medium bores that didn't shoot well.

+1.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/09/13
So what is the "proper" barrel length for a 9.3x62
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/09/13
Originally Posted by gitem_12

25" is perfect on mine, goes great with the 14" LOP.

Gunner
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 - 09/09/13
I went with a 24 inch barrel. Shoots lights out.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/10/13
I kike the looks of CZ's kevlar carbine. But im not sure about the 21inch tube

Posted By: 9.3x62 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/10/13
for those in Canada and probably everywhere except the US a ss tikka T3 is available at 6 lbs. with a 22" barrel 5 shot magazine
mine has a B+C stock which adds 1/4 lb. so 7 lbs. scoped,but does have the alum. bedding block, shoots well,recoil seems better than 8 lb. 338 Win. I have had
Posted By: EdM Re: 9.3x62 - 09/12/13
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Mine both wear lean 24" tubes on commercial FN Mauser actions and all is good.
Posted By: g5m Re: 9.3x62 - 09/12/13
Originally Posted by 9.3x62
for those in Canada and probably everywhere except the US

And that's a shame.
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 - 09/12/13
I very much like the 24 inch barrel on this one:

[Linked Image]

And the 25.6" barrel on this one:
[Linked Image]

My cz550 has a 23.6" barrel.

But my next build will be a 20" Mannlicher stocked version.

I have a 35 Whelen with 19" barrel and one with a 24" barrel. The difference in performance isn't enough to get worked up about. I like the 19" for walking pig hunts.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 9.3x62 - 09/13/13
I have two of these 9.3s and need to shoot them this weekend. Diamond Jim, how is that Remington going? Rusty
Posted By: diamondjim Re: 9.3x62 - 09/13/13
Rusty,
As others have said, they don't know of a mid-bore that doesn't shoot well....I suspect they are correct.... wink
Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
Gunner,
Can I trouble you for a load for the 250grain accubond? I have been loading 286grain hornady bullets that shoot beautifully, but thinking about going lighter for deer & hogs.

On another note, does anyone know if there is a basic 250 grain bullet for range time? Seems like this weight is only premium.
Thanks
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
270 gr speer will work
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
Just spotted this thread. I have a Lh Zastasa in 9.3x62 that has had only one jacketed bullet down the barrel.(my brother drop it in on me) But I have shoot about 400 Cast 280gr boolels and have used it on 2 whitetails. Both just did about a 50yd death charge and piled up. With this small test I find that it does not ruin as much meat as mt 280Rem. Will do more testing this fall. Clint
Posted By: The_Big_Game_Hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
I'm also a big fan of the 9.3x62mm Mauser and I've got a Ruger M77 that I had rebarreled to shoot it. With a 23" barrel and a nice scope, it is now my favorite rifle and I've taken everything from white-tailed deer to elephant with it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if I only had to have one cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life, I would choose the 9.3x62mm since it is appropriate for such a wide variety of game.

I recently wrote an article describing some of the attributes of this fine cartridge. If you're interested, the link is below.
http://www.thebiggamehuntingblog.com/2013/09/the-93x62mm-mauser.html#more
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
Originally Posted by LowBC
Gunner,
Can I trouble you for a load for the 250grain accubond? I have been loading 286grain hornady bullets that shoot beautifully, but thinking about going lighter for deer & hogs.

On another note, does anyone know if there is a basic 250 grain bullet for range time? Seems like this weight is only premium.
Thanks

LBC, I have only loaded the 320 gr. Woodleighs in my 9.3-62mm, I use RL-17 to push 'em to 2425 fps from my Heym Mauser.

You may want to PM Karnis, thinkin' he loads the 250 Accubonds for his rifle.

Grafs sells the 286 gr. Privi bullets at a very reasonable price, they are plenty tough at 9.3-62 speeds.

Gunner
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
A 250 gr. NAB load I've used is John Barsness' favorite, 60.5 gr. Varget at around 2,600 fps. My AHR CZ likes this load and will cloverleaf those bullets at a hundred.

If you don't have Varget, RL-15 works very well. I've not tried Gunner's RL-17 load, but have had very positive experiences with that powder in other rounds. I haven't tried 320 gr. Woodies, either, but don't doubt their effectiveness.

If Gunner likes'em, they gotta be OK.

DF
Posted By: verhoositz Re: 9.3x62 - 09/14/13
Without a chrony I'm guessing from drop at known distances that the 59gr load of RL 15, in Privy brass & WLR's under a Speer 270 gr'er is giving me 2400-2450fps & shoots 3-5 round one ragged hole clusters out of a CZ American, when I do my part. But then I used a 56 gr load of RL15 in the same set up for the 1st 40-60 rounds as a break in load and got the same results on paper...from the very 1st time I pulled the trigger on a NIB gun. This Speer 270gr load is shown in one of MD's charts as the "Finn Agaard" load @ 2400 fps. It does put WTails down with "authority".

I need to find some Varget and work up MD's 250 gr load, as I found some 250gr NBT's digging for something else I'd bought years ago from an estate sale on EBay. Wish't I'd bought way more than just the 2 box's I did at about half the price of NAB over runs.
Ron
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/15/13
With the current powder supply crisis, one has to use what is available. Fortunately, the 9.3x62 seems to be easy to work with and performs with a variety of powders.

DF
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 9.3x62 - 09/15/13
My semi-customer 9.3x62 was made to match CZ, becasue the shoot pretty darn good.

Mines a Sako 85
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/15/13
A 250 gr. NAB load I've used is John Barsness' favorite, 60.5 gr. Varget at around 2,600 fps. My AHR CZ likes this load and will cloverleaf those bullets at a hundred.

If you don't have Varget, RL-15 works very well. I've not tried Gunner's RL-17 load, but have had very positive experiences with that powder in other rounds. I haven't tried 320 gr. Woodies, either, but don't doubt their effectiveness.

If Gunner likes'em, they gotta be OK.

DF

I like 'em but, bet the critters are gonna hate 'em. wink

Gunner
Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3x62 - 09/15/13
No worries getting varget in Australia, we know it as ar2208 this side of the pond.

I wish a bullet company would make a non premium 250 grain projectile.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/15/13
Originally Posted by LowBC
No worries getting varget in Australia, we know it as ar2208 this side of the pond.

I wish a bullet company would make a non premium 250 grain projectile.

Yeah, you guys are shooting it all up... shocked

Maybe that's why there's not much left for us Yanks... laugh

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/16/13
LowBC,

Speer used to make a 250 Hot-Cor--but then they changed to the 270-grain.

I have a box of the 250's. Want me to send them across the ocean?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/16/13
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
LowBC,

Speer used to make a 250 Hot-Cor--but then they changed to the 270-grain.

I have a box of the 250's. Want me to send them across the ocean?

Swap'em for a few pounds of Varget... cool

They seem to have a good supply.

DF
Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3x62 - 09/16/13
Thanks John, That would be great. I will drop you a PM.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by The_Big_Game_Hunter

I recently wrote an article describing some of the attributes of this fine cartridge. If you're interested, the link is below.

While there are some good points there, I'm afraid it may be a case of damning with faint praise!

The ballistics are sadly ancient and outdated. At 2550 fps from a 286 NP with its high BC of .482, not only should moose-size game at 500 yards take cover, but once 9.3 X 62 aficionados learn the true potential of their modern bolt-action repeater using modern powders and bullets, Maco Polo Sheep are hardly safe as well!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by CZ550

While there are some good points there, I'm afraid it may be a case of damning with faint praise!

The ballistics are sadly ancient and outdated. At 2550 fps from a 286 NP with its high BC of .482, not only should moose-size game at 500 yards take cover, but once 9.3 X 62 aficionados learn the true potential of their modern bolt-action repeater using modern powders and bullets, Maco Polo Sheep are hardly safe as well!

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I kinda think the same thing when people mention how "short range" a Whelen is.. Seems like those bullets hit just fine out far..
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 - 09/18/13

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

I kinda think the same thing when people mention how "short range" a Whelen is.. Seems like those bullets hit just fine out far..

Those sorts of comments are spoken out of ignorance. People too lazy or stupid to look up what a given bullet's BC is. The 250 gr 9,3mm accubond has a BC of .494 about on par with a 180 gr 30 cal bullet. The Whelen shoots plenty flat enough but it's 250 gr NP's BC pales in comparison at a mere .446. That never stopped me from feeling like a 300 yd shot was unrealistic from my Whelen.

That same 286 gr NP in my 9,3x64 shoots plenty flat for father than I like to shoot.
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 09/18/13
Originally Posted by z1r

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Those sorts of comments are spoken out of ignorance. People too lazy or stupid to look up what a given bullet's BC is. The 250 gr 9,3mm accubond has a BC of .494 about on par with a 180 gr 30 cal bullet. The Whelen shoots plenty flat enough but it's 250 gr NP's BC pales in comparison at a mere .446. That never stopped me from feeling like a 300 yd shot was unrealistic from my Whelen.

That same 286 gr NP in my 9,3x64 shoots plenty flat for father than I like to shoot.

I couldn't agree more buddy
Posted By: firearms44 Re: 9.3x62 - 09/18/13
Just received a CZ 550 Full Stock 20" in 9.3 without scope rings. Which do you feel is a better set of rings ? Factory Medium or Leupold Medium ? Need to order a set.

Ken
Posted By: kutenay Re: 9.3x62 - 09/19/13
I have had grief with two new sets of factory CZ rings now, both bought to mount on Brno ZG-47 rifles and they now reside on one of my "spare parts" boxes.

I have one set of Leupie rings which was on a VERY choice Brno 21H, 7x57, one of a number of these and ZGs I have been and am selling. They are "OK", but, to me are pretty "blah" and I generally love Leupy stuff.

To me, after owning almost 20 different older Brno big game rifles and using most of the available rings for them in chamberings from 7x57 to .375H&H, the TALLEY QDs are in a class of their own, nothing I have tried in 48+ years with these rifles comes close in quality and utility.

I just closed gunsafe No.1 after playing with ZG-47-original 9.3x62 No. 2 and installed a NECG-Recknagel "peep" I had in a parts bin on it, until I can get more Talleys to match those on my first of these superb rifles. I "might" get to N.E. BC for the first two weeks of next month to try for a Moose and one of these is probably going as my "spare" to my Dakota 76-.338WM.

So, I will now ONLY buy Talley QDs for my Brno-CZ rifles and have found them about "perfect" since my first set some years ago. Anyway, just an alternative suggestion, HTH.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
kutenay,
I only use Talley QD's too. They aren't cheap but peace of mind counts for something!
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
kutenay,
I only use Talley QD's too. They aren't cheap but peace of mind counts for something!

Without a doubt. I really like Talley. Great folks to talk with and they make one excellent product as well.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
Talley QD's on a CZ 9.3x62.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
DF, that looks great. Very nice rifle and scope combo.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
Somebody recently mentioned on the Campfire that he'd tried just about every brand of detachable scope mount, and none stayed consistent after taking the scope off and putting it back on over a decade or more.

Well, I've had a 4x33 Leupold in Talleys on my CZ 550 for over a decade now, and while I haven't taken the scope off dozens of times, have taken it off at least once or twice a year during that period, and it's still dead-nuts after it goes back on.
Posted By: jaycee Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These photos show exactly what I personally DON'T like about Talley's - one needs a step ladder to get one's eye up to them. Either that or rest your chin on the comb of the stock. Magnified much more if one has a stock with any amount of drop at the heel.

Although not a HUGE difference in height, I prefer the Alaska Arms Low rings, which I now have on Mom's 7x57 ZG47 - although the bolt did need to be scalloped to clear the ocular bell of an M8 4X.
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
The factory CZ rings are pretty darn high. Tally QD's are on order for my CZ 9,3. I just need to add some iron sights to it.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
While I love Talley and use them on almost everything...

Don't look past Warne / Warne QD rings. I have them on a few of my CZ's and have been quite happy with them. A little better price point and I have had ZERO problems with consistency when using the QD feature.
Originally Posted by jaycee

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

These photos show exactly what I personally DON'T like about Talley's - one needs a step ladder to get one's eye up to them. Either that or rest your chin on the comb of the stock. Magnified much more if one has a stock with any amount of drop at the heel.

Although not a HUGE difference in height, I prefer the Alaska Arms Low rings, which I now have on Mom's 7x57 ZG47 - although the bolt did need to be scalloped to clear the ocular bell of an M8 4X.

This AHR CZ has a high comb and the cheek weld, eye alignment is very good. The Oberndorf type bolt handle requires more scope height to clear. So, with this particular set up, the height is correct.

DF
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
You can ever use them for Pdogs

One of many cloverleaf 5 shot groups

[Linked Image]
I have the 250 Barnes, just haven't loaded any. My 9.3x62 will shoot 250 gr. NAB's into similar groups with JB's Varget load of 60.5 gr.

DF
I agree that the Warnes have served me well in the past. But they are heavier than they need to be and I want my 9,3 light.

I use Warnes on many other applications though.
Posted By: VernAK Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
Wanting to put QDs on a CZ 550 9.3 but Talley's are tall.....I'd like to get the scope down closer to bore line but still have QDs. Suggestions please.
Originally Posted by VernAK
Wanting to put QDs on a CZ 550 9.3 but Talley's are tall.....I'd like to get the scope down closer to bore line but still have QDs. Suggestions please.

Sounds like this might be what you are looking for:

Originally Posted by jaycee

I have not personally used those rings but I do know that for whatever reason, most manufacturer's CZ rings tend to be higher than required. Possibly a holdover from the old Brno sporters whose bolts required high rings for clearance.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
Here is a link off the CZ website that I have used. It lists the majority of available ring options and specs.

CZ Scope ring chart
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
I hate it when I'm late to the party . . .

I've had as many as 3, 9.3x62s at one time - M700, M70 and Interarms Mark X. All of them were re-bores done by JES. Quality work, short turn-around time and they all shoot/shot well. No feeding issues with any of them.

I did find - and this is my experience only - that the Mark X, which has JES 3-groove rifling favors the 250 TSX more so than the M700 or M70, which were re-bored with 4 or 5 groove rifling; all using the same load with Varget.

As I said, I had 3, 9.3x62s at one point. One of the 'Fire members bought the M700, and the M70 went to a local. Kept the Mark X as the Mauser action just 'screams' 9.3x62 (and 7x57).

Finally got the Mark X out to the local CeraKote guy last week, so no pics right now. When all together it'll sit in a Bansner Hi-Tech composite, or a nice classic wood stock that came off an Interams American Express - good grain, ebony forend tip and grip cap, and outlined pancake cheek - again, the Mauser-type action screams for wood.
Posted By: VernAK Re: 9.3x62 - 09/20/13
Wow!
Thanks for all the advice on QDs......great and informative thread.
The ring chart is very handy. Thx.
Posted By: ATC Re: 9.3x62 - 09/21/13
Here are some nice QD rings for the CZ. Looking to get a set for my 375 Ruger.

http://www.alaskaarmsllc.com
Posted By: Reh Re: 9.3x62 - 10/02/13
Great caliber, I use it for Wildboars in Germany when I'm out on an evening hunt, as well as Roe deer, granted its overgun for Roe deer but the slow moving bullets does not cause extensive meat damage. In my opinion its a perfect caliber for the big boars we have roaming around our forest in Bavaria. A lot of the hunters also prefer this caliber for driven hunts for Red Deers, Fallow Deers and wildboars usually in a fast action type rifles or autoloaders.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 - 10/28/13
I have the 250 Barnes, just haven't loaded any. My 9.3x62 will shoot 250 gr. NAB's into similar groups with JB's Varget load of 60.5 gr.

DF

My FN Mauser shot under 6 inches at 600 yards today. 250 NAB over 60.5 grains of Varget. Leupold VX3 3.5x10
CDS 200 zero. Used my 6500' 40 degree turret at 500' elevation and 70 degrees today. Taking it on my Colorado Elk hunt fri. Hopefully I shoot an Elk at about 200 yards.

Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 10/28/13
Great shooting. Yeah, I'd say that baby is ready for the hunt. Way to go.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 10/28/13
Originally Posted by sidepass

DF

My FN Mauser shot under 6 inches at 600 yards today. 250 NAB over 60.5 grains of Varget. Leupold VX3 3.5x10
CDS 200 zero. Used my 6500' 40 degree turret at 500' elevation and 70 degrees today. Taking it on my Colorado Elk hunt fri. Hopefully I shoot an Elk at about 200 yards.

That is a great load.

My VX-6 1-6 #4 reticle isn't very effective past 300 yds. It's a tad coarse for long range shooting, covers up too much target. I'm thinking about mounting another scope in QD rings and see what it will do LR. With two scope in QD's, I can swap them back and forth.

Your results got me to thinking... smile

DF
That is a great load.

My VX-6 1-6 #4 reticle isn't very effective past 300 yds. It's a tad coarse for long range shooting, covers up too much target. I'm thinking about mounting another scope in QD rings and see what it will do LR. With two scope in QD's, I can swap them back and forth.

Your results got me to thinking... smile

DF

Your VX6 with the #4, is it so course that you couldn't shoot an elk past 300 with it, or it is just to thick to see a smaller bullseye past 300? Just wondering as I was looking at that scope for my 35 Newton, but I want the ability to shoot out to 500 on elk if I have too.. Thank you for any info you can pass.
Just fine for an elk at 300+ yds., just tough to shoot tight groups at 300 yds. For a sub inch rifle at 100 yds, I could only shoot 4-5" groups at 300 yds. due to the coarse reticle. Maybe with a different target, I could have done better.

I may mount a 3-9 Conquest or similar for target work. With QD mounts, I could swap them back and forth as needed.

No, the VX-6 1-6x24 is a super scope. I like the #4 reticle and the illuminated dot. For what it was intended to do, it's hard to beat.

DF
Never in my imagination did I think of the 9.3x62 as a 600 yard cartridge. GSSP posted his results and I decided to check it out. Shot lemonds at 200 and then took it along with my 7mag to shoot steel. Never missed the 400 yard plates but had a cartridge stick in the chamber before moving out to 600.
Had a chance to shoot plates again yesterday and had cleared the stuck cartridge. Started at 400 and picked up where I had left off. Dialed up 600 and first shot dead center, rest went to the right with the wind. This was off a plastic table and a bull bag. Next time a real rest and rabbit ear bag.
This cartridge is so easy to shoot well, no seating depth or bullet weight issues. Have a CZ 550 FS that's accurate but haven't tried it beyond 200 yards.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3x62 - 10/28/13
I have been kicking around a LR Thumper build using the 9.3x62 for a while now.

I'm thinking a 28" Sendero-ish contour could really let this sleeper shine. Should be able to get over 2700 with a 250AB and less than 35 MOA drop at 1000 yards with a 200 yard zero. Yep, just talked myself into it... I will report back when it's done and tested. Rate of twist thoughts? 10, 12, 14...
Interesting.

The std. twist seems to work with bullets up to 320 gr. It should surely work with 250 gr. NAB's, which would be my LR choice.

And you can build it on an '06 action. Most loads I've tried in mine grouped very well. In fact, I haven't shot any loads that didn't group well, 250 gr. NAB's grouping a bit tighter than the others, like cloverleaf, touching.

DF
DF,

What is the standard? I have owned a few now and they ran between 10-14.
60.5 Varget ,Lapua brass and federal 210's get me an average of 2609 fps. No pressure signs. Curious what you'll get out of a 28 inch barrel. What powder you planning on using?
Have some 230 grain GS Customs . Recomended starting charge is a max load and work up from there. My 257 Roberts loves 100 grain GS Customs . Ain't cheap.
My 9.3x62's , 405 win's and 45-70 are all named "thumper" I like "long range thumper"

Barrel stamp " 9.3x62 LRT" Sweet!
Sidepass,

I run that same load. I push 2640 out of a 24" tube currently. I am a Varget whore, so I will start with that. Maybe not the fastest, but then I will try Rl-15 and others. I will play around with it. I am by no means an expert. Feel free to throw ideas at me. I too am curious what I will see for velocity. I think 15fps an inch is a safe estimate but I would love to get over that. The barrel will not only give me the velocity but it would give the weight for my to hold it on at longer ranges.

It WILL be dubbed and marked "9.3x62 LRT" !!! Thank you Sir.
Just fine for an elk at 300+ yds., just tough to shoot tight groups at 300 yds. For a sub inch rifle at 100 yds, I could only shoot 4-5" groups at 300 yds. due to the coarse reticle. Maybe with a different target, I could have done better.

I may mount a 3-9 Conquest or similar for target work. With QD mounts, I could swap them back and forth as needed.

No, the VX-6 1-6x24 is a super scope. I like the #4 reticle and the illuminated dot. For what it was intended to do, it's hard to beat.

DF

Thank you for the heads up on the scope.. It is one of the players right now for my 35..
I think the old std was 14. Mine is a CZ but has a custom barrel by AHR. I've read that factory CZ's are 10 twist. I'll check mine when I get home from the office.

Gunner500 has a Heym Mauser and he shoots 320's with good accuracy. I don't know what the Heym twist may be.

The way 9.3x62's seem to shoot, they'd probably perform pretty well with any of those twists.

DF
Originally Posted by haverluk
I have been kicking around a LR Thumper build using the 9.3x62 for a while now.

I'm thinking a 28" Sendero-ish contour could really let this sleeper shine. Should be able to get over 2700 with a 250AB and less than 35 MOA drop at 1000 yards with a 200 yard zero. Yep, just talked myself into it... I will report back when it's done and tested. Rate of twist thoughts? 10, 12, 14...

I just checked my AHR CZ. It's a 14 twist.

DF

Edited to add: Just got a PM from Gunner. His Heym is a 10 twist. I asked him if he thought a 14 twist would handle those 320's he likes so much. "Yessir, with ease", was his answer.

So, I guess the 9.3x62 is such a lady, she'll perform beautifully with any twist... laugh
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 10/29/13
Never in my imagination did I think of the 9.3x62 as a 600 yard cartridge. GSSP posted his results and I decided to check it out. Shot lemonds at 200 and then took it along with my 7mag to shoot steel. Never missed the 400 yard plates but had a cartridge stick in the chamber before moving out to 600.
Had a chance to shoot plates again yesterday and had cleared the stuck cartridge. Started at 400 and picked up where I had left off. Dialed up 600 and first shot dead center, rest went to the right with the wind. This was off a plastic table and a bull bag. Next time a real rest and rabbit ear bag.
This cartridge is so easy to shoot well, no seating depth or bullet weight issues. Have a CZ 550 FS that's accurate but haven't tried it beyond 200 yards.

Geesh, why was the cartridge sticking in the chamber? What rifle was that? I've only shot my 9.3x62mm out to 400 yards, but it does very well at that range..
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 - 10/29/13
Seems I had a cartridge that I double seated the bullet. Small buldge at base of neck and stuck when chambered. An oh well. Cleared with a cleaning rod.
Seems I had a cartridge that I double seated the bullet. Small buldge at base of neck and stuck when chambered. An oh well. Cleared with a cleaning rod.

Like they say, "chit happens"..

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 10/29/13
Yeah, I was concerned when I read that. The 9.3x62 is such a forgiving round. I appreciate sidepass explaining what happened.

DF
Yeah, I was concerned when I read that. The 9.3x62 is such a forgiving round. I appreciate sidepass explaining what happened.

DF

Very forgiving and accuracy has been extremely consistent.
Posted By: LowBC Re: 9.3x62 - 10/30/13
It's hard not to fall in love with this cartridge. It just seems to do everything you ask of it.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 10/30/13
I had never thought of the 9.3x62 as a LR hunting round until reading some of these posts. You guys got me to thinking, which can be dangerous... shocked

This is a very accurate round and is a bit of a thumper. So, why not. Any round that can go sub MOA and retain enough KE to whack something at a distance is a candidate for a LR hunting rig.

I'm going to mount a more appropriate scope on my 9.3x62 and see what it will do out to 4-500 yds. with 250 gr. NAB's. I'll use Talley QD's, so I can remount my VX-6 1-6x24 for woods hunting. A VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS comes to mind.

DF
Posted By: EdM Re: 9.3x62 - 10/30/13
I whacked a couple of porcupine's in Africa at 350ish yards with mine in 2002. The original 250 gr X at 2640 fps and a Leupold 2.5-8X worked fine. grin
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 10/30/13
I had never thought of the 9.3x62 as a LR hunting round until reading some of these posts. You guys got me to thinking, which can be dangerous... shocked

This is a very accurate round and is a bit of a thumper. So, why not. Any round that can go sub MOA and retain enough KE to whack something at a distance is a candidate for a LR hunting rig.

I'm going to mount a more appropriate scope on my 9.3x62 and see what it will do out to 4-500 yds. with 250 gr. NAB's. I'll use Talley QD's, so I can remount my VX-6 1-6x24 for woods hunting. A VX-3 3.5-10x40 CDS comes to mind.

DF

That sounds like it would be a great combo to dial out further...

Just gotta find the right 30-06 and JES is going to get some more business I think...

DF

Just gotta find the right 30-06 and JES is going to get some more business I think...

Fatter barrel would be better, so there would be enough wall thickness post re-bore. A lot of std. '06 barrels may be too thin.

I once had a Sako '06 that I traded because it was too heavy. One like that would be great for this type conversion.

DF
Got ya. Thank you for the heads up. It'll be awhile and it'll likely be some sorta Model 70 when it does happen.. Got awhile to shop for the donor..
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 - 10/30/13
I bought a Winchester Ultimate Shadow to convert to 9.3x62 while Jkob was working on my FN commericial action "JC Higgins 270" jkob sent back my project within 3 weeks. Shilen # 3 ,a side swing safety and a timney trigger. Then sent it to Mcmillan for a mauser x stock. Shoots so well the Winchester sits in my safe still.
Jim does good work with impressive turn around. Lot of smiths work on Remingtons, including Jim. He's one who will also tackle a Mauser project.

He built a 98 Mauser/9.3x62 Shilen for me. I then traded for an AHR CZ 9.3x62, and not wanting two of the same caliber, sold that barrel and had him fit a Shilen #2 in 6.5x55 on the FN action.

DF
Yes sir he does good work. couple months ago he did a side swing safety on a Sako FN Mauser from the fifties in 300 H&H mag. put it in a cheap plastic stock to see if it shoots. Boy does it! It's now waiting on a Mcwoody from Mcmillan and will go to Charlie Santoni to be coated.Have some S&K rings and bases ready.
Yes sir he does good work. couple months ago he did a side swing safety on a Sako FN Mauser from the fifties in 300 H&H mag. put it in a cheap plastic stock to see if it shoots. Boy does it! It's now waiting on a Mcwoody from Mcmillan and will go to Charlie Santoni to be coated.Have some S&K rings and bases ready.

Of course, pictures need to follow...

DF
Without a doubt. That sounds real nice.
Absoluty!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 - 10/30/13

DF

Sure, rub it in grin...Getting excited about your elk hunt down here???
Posted By: beretzs Re: 9.3x62 - 10/31/13
Sure, rub it in grin...Getting excited about your elk hunt down here???

Heck yeah, headed to the airport in about 15 minutes.. I will be in Portland early this afternoon... Onto Mt. Emily shortly thereafter.
Posted By: sidepass Re: 9.3x62 - 10/31/13
Good luck. Heading out to Colorado myself tomorrow morning .
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: 9.3x62 - 11/03/13
Lot of off topic BS posted in this thread.

Answers in Order:
Experience Yes,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If used for its intended purpose (large soft skinned game) it can do what the .375H&H can do. Same class ? Possibly.

Well worth the purchase. Easy,accurate and economical to reload.

DG ? There are better (larger) cartridges.

It is a conventional cartridge for use on soft skinned game. I have found most 286 grain premium projectiles often under expand and have little if no advantages over a 286/285 conventional soft point.
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 - 11/03/13
barrel specs please
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: 9.3x62 - 11/04/13
25" Pre-chambered and screwed, Lothar Walther 1 in 14.2" #722 profile.

http://www.lothar-walther.com/270.php
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 11/04/13
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.

Thru a Hawkeye bore scope, their rifling is beautiful, the bore is slick without any tool marks. My .404J build has a SS Walther #1450 contour and my smith rented the reamer. Although Walther has an office in GA., I was told that mostly AR barrels are made there. My barrel was made in Germany.

DF
Posted By: RyanScott Re: 9.3x62 - 11/04/13
I just got an M1 Garand which will receive a Lothar Walther 9.3 barrel next year.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by RyanScott
I just got an M1 Garand which will receive a Lothar Walther 9.3 barrel next year.

Now, that's gotta be a one-of-a-kind...

What about gas pressure and cycling?

DF
Posted By: TrevorG Re: 9.3x62 - 11/05/13
M1 Garand in 9.3... Now that sounds like fun!

DF,
Wayne at AHR just finished my CZ carbine and it should be back next week... It was a great little rifle before, can't wait to get my hands on it now.
Posted By: Tophet1 Re: 9.3x62 - 11/05/13
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.

Thru a Hawkeye bore scope, their rifling is beautiful, the bore is slick without any tool marks. My .404J build has a SS Walther #1450 contour and my smith rented the reamer. Although Walther has an office in GA., I was told that mostly AR barrels are made there. My barrel was made in Germany.

DF

I just had a my gunsmith screw and chamber a German made .25 cal. Lothar Walther, special order blank into a 250-3000 (+0.035" throat). He used a reamer and throater sourced from the USA. No problems. IMNSHM, another internet myth.

They are so smooth I have never had to worry about running them in. I own three, 250-3000, 7x57 and 9.3x62.

My 9.3 barrel has 880 rounds down it and still shoots as accurately as day one. Then again, the 9.3x62 isn't a high intensity cartridge and I expect it to out last me.
Originally Posted by TrevorG
M1 Garand in 9.3... Now that sounds like fun!

DF,
Wayne at AHR just finished my CZ carbine and it should be back next week... It was a great little rifle before, can't wait to get my hands on it now.

If this is your first experience with Wayne and company, you're gonna be impressed. Those guys know how to tweak a CZ, for sure.

DF
Posted By: TrevorG Re: 9.3x62 - 11/05/13
It is my first but won't be my last.
Wayne was very pleasant and professional to deal with and he finished the work early!

I may have to pick up another 550 in 30-06 and send it off to him.
Posted By: RyanScott Re: 9.3x62 - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by RyanScott

Now, that's gotta be a one-of-a-kind...

What about gas pressure and cycling?

DF

It's a catalog item. Given the low pressure and forgiving expansion ratio I expect no issues.

Bear gun!

Maybe elephant too if Zimbanwe will let me.
I don't think Zim or any African countries will allow autoloading rifles. Those in the know can confirm or deny.

DF
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 - 11/07/13
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.DF

Utter and total bullshit. Their SS barrels require a much more agressive feed rate than many are accustomed to and consequently, many have problems chambering those barrels. Their Non-SS barrels ream like butter. And the only ones complaining about them are those who have never actually chambered a LW non-SS barrel and read about how difficult they can be on the internet.

I have installed dozens of LW barrels and never once had an issue with them. All have been exceptional shooters and a tremendous value.

The most common caliber/chambering I install is the 9,3x62, followed not too distantly by the 6.5x55 and then by the 9,3x64.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 - 11/07/13
Appreciate your input.

I can only report what I'm told, as I'm not a smith with a lathe.

That's pretty much what the Walther tech was saying, but I have no way to sort out the facts.

I do like their barrels and love the slick bore surface as seen thru the bore scope.

And, did I say they really shoot...?

DF
Posted By: pinotguy Re: 9.3x62 - 11/07/13
Originally Posted by z1r
Walther makes a great barrel. They're made out of really tough steel and I've heard gunsmiths complain about how hard Walther steel is on their reamers. When confronted with this issue, a Walther tech told me those gunsmiths just didn't know how to ream a chamber, which sounded a bit cold and condescending to me. I think Walther steel is tough to machine.DF

Utter and total bullshit. Their SS barrels require a much more agressive feed rate than many are accustomed to and consequently, many have problems chambering those barrels. Their Non-SS barrels ream like butter. And the only ones complaining about them are those who have never actually chambered a LW non-SS barrel and read about how difficult they can be on the internet.

I have installed dozens of LW barrels and never once had an issue with them. All have been exceptional shooters and a tremendous value.

The most common caliber/chambering I install is the 9,3x62, followed not too distantly by the 6.5x55 and then by the 9,3x64.

Mike - Your experiences with L-W barrels seems to fall in line with what other 'smiths have reported. My understanding is that the alloys L-W use are proprietary and the content differs quite a bit from the standard 416R or 43xx series of steels.

Funny, on a recent thread here, two other gunsmiths expressed their reluctance to deal with L-W barrels. One said he would install/chamber only if a carbide reamer was supplied. The other preferred not to and charged an additional $50.
© 24hourcampfire