Home
Popular hunting cartridge in Continental Europe? I recently read that it was and also that the 7x65R was #1 for break actions? And what weight bullets are commonly run in these cartridges?
Timely tread.....I bumped into several boxes of factory Remington ammo for the 7x64 Brenneke.

If anyone wants it PM me for location of the store.

moose mike sorry for the hijack but had to post this before I forgot. Someone may want a pile of ammo.... smile
No. It varies from one region of Europe to another, but top sellers in random order are: .30-06, .308 and 8x57JRS. There are niche cartridges in certain countries for example in addition to .308 and .30-06 6,5x55 is very popular in Sweden.
No worries Bob. It all adds to the thread.
The two most popular small-bore magnums are 7mm Remington and .300 Winchester Magnum.
I use it in a mountain gun round in the US and have it on my change barrel/caliber for when you are in those places where you cannot use a round in use by a military group somewhere.

Nice midsized animal cartridge
The bullet weights for 7x64 range from 9g to 11,5g. You have 6,9x64 which is commonly known as .270 Winchester I would think it would be much better choice for an American can 7x64.
The most common and in fact predominant weight for the 7X65R is 173gr. I have two guns in this round and wish it were otherwise, but since most break open guns chambered in it are double rifles and combo guns that were regulated to the 173gr, it makes sense that it is what's most available.

I see a bit more variety of bullets in the 7X64 for obvious reasons; they're usually bolt guns.
Not really. .30-06 Sprg. leads the pack.
Yep, it was very popular in France and Belgium a few years ago, because it was not a previous military caliber, and owning / using a 30-06 required a special license in Belgium, and was totally forbidden in France.

In this time of darkness :p the 7x64 was very popular but not the most popular around: the domination of driven hunts / battues, made double rifle calibers (8x57 JRS and 9,3x74R), semi-auto calibers (the .300 win mag was so popular in the Browning BAR plateform, the rifle model was often known as "the .300 BAR") and medium bore bolt action rounds (9,3x62).

I still own one which was my only rifle during many years. It's a very good all-rounder IMO but you'd like something heavier with more "punch" for forest driven hunts.

Since the 30-06 is not considered an evil cartridge it's clearly becoming one of the most popular and versatile.
Originally Posted by Slavek
The bullet weights for 7x64 range from 9g to 11,5g. You have 6,9x64 which is commonly known as .270 Winchester I would think it would be much better choice for an American can 7x64.

How popular is the 9.3x64 Brenneke in Europe?
Originally Posted by John_Gregori

How popular is the 9.3x64 Brenneke in Europe?

Except in Russia where they found use for some hard to fathom military application in rest of Europe it is on it's last legs. Most will choose 9,3x62. In mind of typical hunter the x64 has mythical Joules of power and recoil force.

Except in Russia where they found use for some hard to fathom military application in rest of Europe it is on it's last legs. Most will choose 9,3x62. In mind of typical hunter the x64 has mythical Joules of power and recoil force.

I guess that's why you see the cheap Russian steel cased Brown Bear 9.3x64 ammo advertised. Always wondered about that.
Wonder what the Russian military uses the x64 for?
OK, the Druganov sniper rifle. Who knew?
The 9.3x64 Brenneke is more powerful than the 9.3x62. A guy at my gun range shoots the 286 gr. bullets at over 2750 fps out of a 24" barrel.

The 9.3x64 is even more powerful than the 375 H&H mag when handloaded and it has greater sectional density with the 286 gr than the 375 300 gr.

Look at Wiki,"...The 9.3x64mm Brenneke is a powerful cartridge and one that's been highly praised by famed outdoor writer Craig Boddington as easily being equal to, if not better than, the 375 H&H. Like every other big-game cartridge it presents a stout recoil. An appropriate fitting stock and an effective muzzle brake will help to reduce recoil induced problems. An advantage of the short stocky 9.3x64mm Brenneke is that it can be chambered in standard sized bolt-action rifles.

German big-game hunters often use 9.3x64mm Brenneke rifles in Africa for hunting plains game and Big Five game, where British or American hunters would choose the .375 Holland & Holland Magnum or similar cartridges."
My 9.3x64mm is a pet.

Not sure, it does anything, that a .375 H&H or Ruger would not, but equally unsure those two do anything, I would feel undergunned with my 9,3x64.

In fact - I have a very hard time coming up with a more close shave between cartridges.

Perhaps .257 Roberts and 6,5x57 would do it...

A picture is alwaysw nice:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Before the make over...
[Linked Image]
If anyone would know these things, it would be "Ready", assuming of course that he's the guy in the picture.... smile
Geez, Bob. Thanks for the flowers.

To clearify - I am not the guy in the picture, but as you can see, the guy in the picture is holding his then-appreantises rifle.

Sitting in that little cabin talking guns is time well spent.
Aahh....LOL!

OK Ready, I thought you were "him".

But if you are up there,conversing in the cabin,at that level, then you know your stuff, too!

So don't take it as a slight of any kind! wink grin
Not in the least. Thank you very much.
Looks very much like a world famous Alaska Bear Guide. Clair Rees (writer) wrote about a hairy encounter on a hunt with Ed back in the 1970s.

Hope all is well! What did he say about the 9.3x64?
Ahhh,
I do know that RWS sold 8.0 gram keiglespitz (sp?)
My Mauser model 66s , really likes them.
Anyone have any idea where I could find those bullets for reloading ?
Quite a few Roe fell to that bullet.
Ed was very fond of the round per se.

In his opinion, there was nothing wrong with it. It just has a funny case, about .41" too little diameter and, its greatest flaw, it came in boltaction.

He conceided, it worked very well, though.

:-)

© 24hourcampfire