Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Still out in the bush - 08/21/22
Had to go over a bit west of the place today. While there got to see one of the nicest Henry rifles to surface out of the bush for a while. I’m certainly no expert, but over the years I have handled several and this one is pretty dog gone nice. Great wood and the metal is very nice. Bore is slick as a gut. Damn nice example. Mfg in 1864 and no martial markings. No sling swivel provisions.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Jericho Re: Still out in the bush - 08/21/22
I'll take it PM sent smile
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Still out in the bush - 08/21/22
Dang that is a fine old Henry. I like beating bushes.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Still out in the bush - 08/21/22
Yeah. My Bud has known about this rifle for quite a while. Been in the family since the 1860’s. Well they finally contacted him. I was amazed at the condition.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Still out in the bush - 08/26/22
Looks about new,. 44 rim?
Posted By: Bobmar Re: Still out in the bush - 08/26/22
I’d sure like to listen to the stories that one could tell!
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Still out in the bush - 08/26/22
Beautiful gun.
Has the brass been polished?
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Still out in the bush - 08/26/22
Pocono, i don’t think it has been polished per se. Just well maintained. I could be wrong. If it has been poslished with something like brasso it was done quite a while back. First thing I did was look and the wood to metal fit areas. Sometimes theres telltale residue in the cracks. Didn’t see and evidence of over cleaning. Just good maintenance. Wood condition was awesome.

Yes saddlering. .44 RF.
Posted By: iskra Re: Still out in the bush - 08/26/22
Beautiful rifle! Did you buy it new...?*

Shades of "O. Henry"! What a story it might tell!

Love to own it, but California Registration; background, etc Weapons of choice with LA Street Gangs, you know!

Thanks for the pix!
Best!
John

*I'm 'of age' entitled to poke such fun! smile smile smile
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Still out in the bush - 08/26/22
John,

One of my hunting/ collector buds bought it. I was just a happy admirer
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Still out in the bush - 08/27/22
I'm afraid I would be driven to figure a way to make rimfire ammunition.
Posted By: Claybirds Re: Still out in the bush - 08/27/22
Very cool rifle, I saw some of those Henrys at the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, what an awesome place that is.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Still out in the bush - 08/30/22
Wow, what a beautiful and rare find.
Posted By: BIGEYES Re: Still out in the bush - 08/31/22
Thats appears to be as nice a Henry rifle as I've seen, outside of a museum. Just to be able to lay hands on it is pretty special.
If only they could talk.
Posted By: Brad Re: Still out in the bush - 08/31/22
KW - that's so cool!
Nice Henry!

The Henry Rifles without the Sling Swivels was issued to the Calvary vs. the Infantry, according to Oliver Winchester.

Very few Original Henry's show any finish or Blueing on the Barrel, however I do agree with the Brass possibly being cleaned a long time ago as it's got some mellow Patina to it.
The Rifle itself shows strong Condition, and with one Picture the Wood to me looks like it was also possibly refreshed or Re placed. Not too many Henry's had that nice of Wood on them.JMO!!!
It's hard to believe one with that Good of Wood, and Receiver,(frame), doesn't have more Bluing,(black), on the Barrel.
Lovely Specimen, and I would love to know the Serial number.

Thanks for Sharing.

HS58
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Still out in the bush - 08/31/22
That is a beauty!
Great find!
Thanks for sharing!
I'm lucky enough to own 2 originals. Neither are as nice as that one.
I'd be curious if all the numbers match? Darn near every part has a number on it!
Hope all is well at your end,
Ed
Posted By: tmitch Re: Still out in the bush - 08/31/22
WOW! What a find!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Had to go over a bit west of the place today. While there got to see one of the nicest Henry rifles to surface out of the bush for a while. I’m certainly no expert, but over the years I have handled several and this one is pretty dog gone nice. Great wood and the metal is very nice. Bore is slick as a gut. Damn nice example. Mfg in 1864 and no martial markings. No sling swivel provisions.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Phenomenal!!!

What’s the barrel length ? You’d need a heck of a long saddle scabbard for that one. 🤠
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Still out in the bush - 08/31/22
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Nice Henry!

The Henry Rifles without the Sling Swivels was issued to the Calvary vs. the Infantry, according to Oliver Winchester.

Very few Original Henry's show any finish or Blueing on the Barrel, however I do agree with the Brass possibly being cleaned a long time ago as it's got some mellow Patina to it.
The Rifle itself shows strong Condition, and with one Picture the Wood to me looks like it was also possibly refreshed or Re placed. Not too many Henry's had that nice of Wood on them.JMO!!!
It's hard to believe one with that Good of Wood, and Receiver,(frame), doesn't have more Bluing,(black), on the Barrel.

Thanks for Sharing.

HS58

I disagree. I have had this Henry and the wood on it was in great original condition. this was an early 3 digit serial number and looked damn good...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Nice Henry!

Thanks for Sharing.

HS58

I disagree. I have had this Henry and the wood on it was in great original condition. this was an early 3 digit serial number and looked damn good...

Very Nice Shrap !!!
Nice Specimen Shrap.
Your wood hasn't been touched, as either was the frame.

All I'm saying is it looks original, but possibly cleaned, or freshened up a Tad. JMO!!!

HS58
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Still out in the bush - 09/01/22
That thing is a work of art, just pleasing to look at.
Especially considering the lack of technology that we know today, and the lack of Power tools, as such!

American Ingenuity at it's Best. Possibly, B. Tyler Henry's Greatest innovation.

Shirt Maker, and Business man Oliver Winchester, was Smart to Employ and Take Henry's advice on this Masterpiece of the Time.

"Damn Yankee Rifle you Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week"!

15 Cartridges of .44 Flat Rim Fire.
Posted By: TimZ Re: Still out in the bush - 09/01/22
Beautiful rifle for being over 150 yrs old....
© 24hourcampfire