Home
Posted By: papalondog Winchester Model 65 - 04/27/23
Friend is bringing over a Winchester model 65 25-20 tomorrow that he wants to sell. He gave me a verbal description but he knows little about guns. If it is original, I am confident on what a ball park figure is. If it has been refinished or drilled and tapped do you do the usual markdown or is the 65 a bit more desirable? He says it has a tang sight on it that says Marbles so I doubt that it has been drilled.
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/27/23
It’s the typical markdown in my opinion. 65s in that chambering bring a good bit of money these days.

I would say that if it is refinished (well), that rifle configuration will still be easy to offload - if you later decide to - because of its relative rarity. And buyers who may not normally have interest in refinished guns in general might make an exception on something like this if they needed it to fill out a collection.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/27/23
I agree with JS, with so few made (5700-ish) even altered examples bring decent money. When I first started looking for a 65 I quickly found out a decent 100% original example was out of my price range and fully half the rifles I looked at were altered to some degree. I eventually "settled" for a .218 with alterations and a price I could live with.
Posted By: papalondog Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/27/23
I hear the 25-20 is the rarest but the 218 bee is the most desired. He will have it out here in a couple hours. Hope it is all original. I don't have a 65............
Posted By: papalondog Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/27/23
Was lucky enough to buy it. All original with no modifications except for the Marbles flip up tang peep sight which I believe adds value. Wood has original finish with a couple minor gouges and some normal handling marks. I would say 80% on wood, 70% on receiver and then comes the barrel. Steel wool obviously used 😞. I would say 50% finish on the barrel but I grade pretty conservatively. Bore is great! Needless to say I am a happy camper!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/27/23
Sweet, congrats! Would love to see some photos
Posted By: papalondog Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/28/23
Can't figure the picture thing out!

Attached picture 8FE0870E-765B-4A50-B6FB-0285A71D7197.jpeg
Attached picture 58C6FCA3-698C-4817-9E39-784FAB79848C.jpeg
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/28/23
Put them in the Image Gallery
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/28/23
Super cool congrats!
Posted By: tmitch Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/28/23
Looks like a sweetheart. Enjoy!
Posted By: jsgwoodsman Re: Winchester Model 65 - 04/28/23
Congrats, I can’t remember the last time brought a 65 to my door.

I’d much rather have an original rifle with condition negatives than an unoriginal rifle in any condition.
© 24hourcampfire