Home
Posted By: 338reddog One piece bottom metal? - 06/16/23
I picked up a stock for a a model 70 not sure if it is a Brown or MPI or? Anyways its cut for a one piece bottom metal. I am in need of a replacement. Stainless preferred as I was going to put a 30/06 classic in it. Blued if I decide to put a 280 classic featherweight. Any ideas on who’s bottom metal to use? Or how about a adapter? How does the adapter look if you have used one?
Thanks
If you're going to spend the money for an MPI or Brown Precision stock, then go ahead and spend $150 - $250 for proper 1-piece bottom metal. the adaptor is a means to get a 1-piece BM to fit in a 2-piece BM stock - the esthetics however are downright ugly. I personally have never been disappointed with bottom metal from PT&G (Pacific Tool And Gauge) who offer both the traditional Model 70 style as well as an Oberndorf style; while they may not be in stock at the time, you can place on order for what you need (they manufacture these themselves) in finished or unfinished aluminum, blued-steel, as well as SS.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: One piece bottom metal? - 06/18/23
Sunny Hill or Blackburn for new production. Get your wallet out. Wouldn't trust a PTG personally. Could find a used Williams, Wisner, or Wiebe unit floating out there somewhere I'm sure.
I don't understand the prejudice against PT&G - I have (6) in use on Win 70s & Rem 700 and they are several steps up from the factory original.
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
the adaptor is a means to get a 1-piece BM to fit in a 2-piece BM stock
Said another way, the adapter is a way to allow a stock inlet for one piece bottom metal to use the old style two piece bottom metal.

I agree regarding obtaining a one piece for a nice stock to match the inlet. The adapter is an inexpensive way to tide you over if you need something immediately - while waiting for the one piece of choice to avail itself.
I don't understand the prejudice against PT&G - I have (6) in use on Win 70s & Rem 700 and they are several steps up from the factory original.

They absolutely are not. The last one I had made a habit of dumping the magazines contents on your boot’s every time you pulled the trigger. Not ideal.
The stock is synthetic. Epoxy can make that inlet permanently compatible with any bottom metal configuration.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: One piece bottom metal? - 06/18/23
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
The stock is synthetic. Epoxy can make that inlet permanently compatible with any bottom metal configuration.
I figured this was a option. It does appear that its going to take a bunch of epoxy to make it fit.
I am not sure which way I will go yet. But am checking into the ideas above
I'd look for a factory 1 piece unit. Nothing wrong with those. IMHO..
Posted By: Al_Nyhus Re: One piece bottom metal? - 06/19/23
I've fitted quite a few PT&G's to Model 70's as part of pillar bedding jobs. All were high quality and continue to operate without any hiccups.

When considering qualty one piece bottom metal options, the factory one piece setup is the bottom rung of the ladder. Not that they won't work, of course. On aftermarket stocks, the inletting needs to be on the money to stay ahead of any floor plate binding.

Good shootin' smile -Al
Posted By: 338reddog Re: One piece bottom metal? - 06/30/23
Thank you for the replies
Posted By: EdM Re: One piece bottom metal? - 06/30/23
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

They absolutely are not. The last one I had made a habit of dumping the magazines contents on your boot’s every time you pulled the trigger. Not ideal.

That was my experience with their aluminum Oberndorf bottom metal on my 416 Rem M70. It went down the road.
© 24hourcampfire