Home
Posted By: GAGoober Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/01/23
Check this out. Nice rifle. Prices seem to be getting a little lofty on some of these post 64 PF FWT’s. This particular one is somewhat scarce I guess.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/993323793
Jeesssuus, I guess I got a good deal on mine!!
Posted By: EdM Re: Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/02/23
Originally Posted by MapleHill

When?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/02/23
Can't say I've ever seen a 7x57 with sights. Seen a few 6.5x55s
Originally Posted by 99guy
Can't say I've ever seen a 7x57 with sights. Seen a few 6.5x55s
I’ve seen a handful. Never that late a gun though.
Originally Posted by EdM

When?

I bought it maybe 4yrs ago?? No sights on mine, never seen a Fthwgt with sights.
Posted By: RAS Re: Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/03/23
I had one NIB with sights bought for me in 2004. My wife thought it was a 7mm Rem Mag.

Having sights is rare and added to the final price for sure.
Originally Posted by EdM

When?

I bought it maybe 4yrs ago?? No sights on mine, never seen a Fthwgt with sights.

My understanding is that the ones with sights in 6.5 Swede and 7x57 were for the European market. The "Lightweights" had sights too I believe.
6.5x55 Sporters also had sights for the Euro market. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Curious, is there anything significant about the cursive models? Better/worser than a block lettered model?
Originally Posted by sqweeler
6.5x55 Sporters also had sights for the Euro market. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I don't know that I have ever seen a Swede Sporter before. All I remember seeing were FW's.
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Curious, is there anything significant about the cursive models? Better/worser than a block lettered model?
Proceeded the xtr designation; so last 3 to 4 years of the pushfeed featherweight.
Several years ago there was a seller in the GUNLIST and he had M70 XTR sporters in 6.5x55mm and 250-3000.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Proceeded the xtr designation; so last 3 to 4 years of the pushfeed featherweight.

So all block lettered models are crf?

If you are speaking about lettering on the right side of the barrel, and they say classic, then yes, crf.

Keep in mind the first year classic featherweight - 1st catalogued in 1992 - has classic featherweight in script/cursive. It changed to the block shortly thereafter.
Posted By: iskra Re: Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/04/23
What you're viewing in that listing is a Winchester XTR Standard which had those sights. Intro'd per the Winchester 1981 Cataloged was the XTR Featherweight model series and new availability in 7x57 chambering. No sights and Schnabel stock. That year Standard not cataloged in such chambering or I believe 6.5x55.
WRA take over in 1982, the Fwt was briefly continued in those uncommon chamberings. Presumably evidenced here, they build out some Standard Models in 7x57 too.

Bought mine NIB, a couple of years later as backroom find in hardware store as recalling some 4 decades ago! Pix below. SN puts it in the WRA '82 era. I'd question the comment of the Standard model with sights for Europe without more. We were sucking up a lot of European guns, not the opposite.

I considerably prefer the presentation of the Fwt in the Euro chamberings and Catalog touted as average wt. @ 6.8 Lbs.

Mine pix below.

Best!
John.

Attached picture R90-1U.jpg
Attached picture R90-10Ux.jpg
Originally Posted by iskra
What you're viewing in that listing is a Winchester XTR Standard which had those sights.
What?
The OP listing is a post xtr featherweight.
Not following.

AK said “XTR”, nothing about the classic model. The XTR’s I’ve seen have all been stamped, not cursive. To me the cursive looks tacky anyway, so pass the XTR fwt and hold the fluff
What you're viewing in that listing is a Winchester XTR Standard which had those sights.
What?
The OP listing is a post xtr featherweight.
Not following.
Exactly. And priced about where I thought it would be for. Something some guys don’t realize. I personally like the XTR moniker better, but the post XTR fwts are in demand as well.
Posted By: iskra Re: Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/04/23
AK, Could you kindly point me back to whatever information I missed in that O/P original listing. Any info such as specimen serial number? Perhaps more info in the listing before the gun was sold?
I admit to my "knowledge-Lite" concerning the WRA Model 70 exclusive to push feed production era. Sounds like WRA revisited the 7mm chambering more widely than that 81-82 transition era! I'd definitely like info on that!
Info appreciated, specimen rifle & wider!
Thanks!
John
Posted By: 99guy Re: Cursive FWT 7x57 with sights - 07/05/23
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
To me the cursive looks tacky anyway, so pass the XTR fwt and hold the fluff

I think the cursive writing is damn cool. I had such a 270 fwt and that was a beautiful gun. Probably should have kept that one but I sold it at auction a few years ago. I was hoping to get $1000 for it but it brought $1750. Which was crazy money for a NH featherweight in a common caliber at the time.
You did really good on that auction price. That’s a crazy high price.
AK, Could you kindly point me back to whatever information I missed in that O/P original listing. Any info such as specimen serial number? Perhaps more info in the listing before the gun was sold?
I admit to my "knowledge-Lite" concerning the WRA Model 70 exclusive to push feed production era. Sounds like WRA revisited the 7mm chambering more widely than that 81-82 transition era! I'd definitely like info on that!
Info appreciated, specimen rifle & wider!
Thanks!
John

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
© 24hourcampfire