Home
Is there enough metal in the featherweight profile to house the 9.3x62 cartridge?
It was done in .358 pre64s, I can't see an extra .008" making that big of difference. If doing a rebarrel, you could always modify the contour a little bit put a little more thickness out front. I just had Benchmark make me a modified FWT profile that finishes .610" at 24".
There’s a good thought!

I was more concerned about the metal around the case versus further down the bore.

Thanks for the reply and info
Husky 1640s came in 9.3x62. Obviously not a M70 FWT but pretty similar profile.
Jesse at jes rebored a sporter for me. The only thing he was worried about was getting into the screw holes for the front sight, but he really wasn't worried about it much. A pre 64 would be soldered, so no worries there. Had a pre in 308 with a bulged barrel that is now a 358 that he did. No issues at all.
When I built my 9.3x62 I used a pre 64 M70 action and a #2 shilen barrel, bedded in a rimrock stock it turned out very nice and was about 8lbs with a leupold scope, which I thought was just about right..
Sometimes I miss that rifle.
Originally Posted by PSH
Jesse at jes rebored a sporter for me. The only thing he was worried about was getting into the screw holes for the front sight, but he really wasn't worried about it much. A pre 64 would be soldered, so no worries there. Had a pre in 308 with a bulged barrel that is now a 358 that he did. No issues at all.

How do you find the balance now that you have less "meat" in that fwt barrel?
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
Originally Posted by PSH

How do you find the balance now that you have less "meat" in that fwt barrel?

The older I get, the lighter I like them. I lucked into a. McM edge stock for this one. It balances well, and is nice to carry.
Unless I missed something I believe PSH' rebore was on a sporter barrel, not fwt.
I am thinking a 9.3x62 on a fwt barrel would be a real handful to shoot and kind of butt heavy!
Pat, you are correct, the 9.3 was on an early classic sporter with the screw in the front sight. It is residing in an old McM winlite stock.. The 358 win was on a pre 64 fwt that used to be a 308. As someone pointed out, not a bunch of difference in diameter so I would think it could be done. It might be a bit butt heavy, but I suppose that would depend on how it was done.
PSH, I missed the part about the 358. Thanks for the info.
Thanks for clarifying
Just another bit of info, my factory Ruger M77 RS 35 Whelen has a muzzle diameter of .558".
Originally Posted by patbrennan
PSH, I missed the part about the 358. Thanks for the info.

Lol, all good, I debated between the 9.3 and a Whelen, the 9.3 is way cooler, lmao.
© 24hourcampfire