Home
Posted By: Festus I bought an ugly duck - 07/12/23
Had a weak moment yesterday and bought this at a local auction. It weighs in at 13.5 pounds has a 7/8" bull barrel that is 26" long and is chambered in 6XC. Somebody free floated the barrel a bit and painted the stock. I think the trigger is not original. I really needed another project. It is wearing a 6.5-20X44 Weaver scope. Total price was about $480. Any thoughts or advice?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Festus Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/12/23
Just pulled the scope & stock off. Looks like it was a Featherweight. It has an aluminum butt plate, trigger guard and bottom metal. Butt stock is drilled out behind the butt plate. Magazine box and spring are missing.
Posted By: Jericho Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/12/23
Festus, you certainly got it cheap enough. Do you have plans to rebarrel and restock it? Very interesting project, please keep us posted
Posted By: Festus Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/12/23
Yeah, I will replace the barrel and stock. My goal is to end up with something that I can hunt with. Maybe 8 pounds or so.
Pretty ugly. Good luck with it. A project like that may end up costing way more than it's worth. I probably would have passed.
Certainly worth the money for the action alone! Am excited to see what you end up doing with it!

If it was me, I would do a .257 Roberts with it!
Posted By: GrouseChaser Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/23/23
Are you going to look for an original pre-64 FW stock? Good luck! Or are you considering a not-factory stock?
Posted By: Festus Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/23/23
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
Are you going to look for an original pre-64 FW stock? Good luck! Or are you considering a not-factory stock?

I have an old stock blank that I started whittling on yesterday, only to find out that it has a bark inclusion that runs along the entire face of the butt. It has great crotch figure on the other side, but I think I will abort. Making a stock by hand is just too much work to use a sub-par blank. I know pre-64 FW stocks are tough too find, but if I come across one I will definitely consider it. Otherwise, I may just get a semi-inlet stock from Richards Microfit. I'm in no hurry.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/27/23
Originally Posted by filmjunkie4ever
If it was me, I would do a .257 Roberts with it!

Yup ..... 22" LW bbl contour in a Wildcat stock. ADL bottom. 2-7 or 2.5-8 Leupold.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: I bought an ugly duck - 07/28/23
Lop off some barrel and have it turned to a FW contour that ends about .58 -.6 at 22” and chamber for 6 Creed.

Find a Bansner stock for it.

Chuck that huge azz rail.
© 24hourcampfire