Home
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Matching magnums - 09/12/23
Tried my best to get the stock on my 300wby to match my favorite 338wm. The 300WBY used to be an H&H, but was rechambered (which was pretty common back in the day). The 338wm is one you guys have seen before. It was built off of an H&H magnum. Both rifles wear Brown Precision PoundR stocks and both hold 4 cartridges in the mag box. Both rifles weigh in at 8 pounds scoped (as shown).

Great elk hunting combination:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

338wm in action in Oregon on an elk hunt:

I wanted to shoot an elk with the 300WBY. Took it out many times, with no luck:

Both rifles shoot extremely well:
That's the load used to take down the big bull in the above pic^^^

300WBY with Barnes LRX:

Then to confirm after putting it in the Brown PoundR stock:

Trying to duplicate the dark brown color Mcmillan uses on their stocks. After a couple years of use with the 338wm and the paint and clear coat I used, it doesn't have a scratch on it. The 300WBY paint job should hold up as well after it is good and cured. After buying the Brown PoundR on ebay last year, I didn't show a great pic of the stock or paint job, as it had some blemishes I had to take care of. It got on my OCD, but now it looks pretty presentable. Thought I'd share a pic of the matching magnums. They don't get used much, but are some of my favorites.
Posted By: beretzs Re: Matching magnums - 09/12/23
Good looking pair!
Posted By: Featherweight6555 Re: Matching magnums - 09/13/23
Very nice!
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Matching magnums - 09/13/23
Great looking pair!

Love the browns …
Posted By: EdM Re: Matching magnums - 09/13/23
Nice stuff. When I get home I want to work up a load using the 270 TSX in my tweaked (barrel to 21", what I believe is a Brown Pound'r and fluted barrel I bought here some time back) stainless New Haven 375 H&H for brown bear next July. I took a RL-15 load for the same (unsuccessful) a handful of years ago. I am looking at using a different powder for the helluvit. Thinking about trying Big Game this go around. It's been a while since I worked up a load.

© 24hourcampfire