Home
...order number 535109211, is a Shot Show Special. Does that mean it can only be ordered at the Shot Show? Does it mean that it was announced at the Shot Show and can be ordered afterwards? Does it mean that it's a limited run?

I asked my dealer to check on that order number and he said that he couldn't find it. I think what he meant was none of his suppliers had it.

I'd like to buy one but I'm not willing to pay through the nose if it's a limited run.
I checked on it and they had to be ordered by a distributor at the show. I called a shop I deal with and told them I wanted one and they in turn contacted their distributor to get one ordered.

However, one can check on that shot show gun page at a later date and locate where they were shipped. Click on the .257 in the shot show list of guns, which brings up the picture, description and UPC, item number whatever. At the bottom left there is a link to find dealers who carry it. Click that and it shows Gallery of Guns....which does not show them yet. However I'm assuming that there will be a list there at some point in time.

I also talked to Winchester and you can call later and find out once they are shipped where they went as far as dealers are concerned.

Hope that helps.

Oh...forgot. Suggested retail like $879 or somewhere in there without looking again. My shop said about $750, which is the same or cheaper than a older XTR in .257.
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
I checked on it and they had to be ordered by a distributor at the show. I called a shop I deal with and told them I wanted one and they in turn contacted their distributor to get one ordered.

However, one can check on that shot show gun page at a later date and locate where they were shipped. Click on the .257 in the shot show list of guns, which brings up the picture, description and UPC, item number whatever. At the bottom left there is a link to find dealers who carry it. Click that and it shows Gallery of Guns....which does not show them yet. However I'm assuming that there will be a list there at some point in time.

I also talked to Winchester and you can call later and find out once they are shipped where they went as far as dealers are concerned.

Hope that helps.

Oh...forgot. Suggested retail like $879 or somewhere in there without looking again. My shop said about $750, which is the same or cheaper than a older XTR in .257.

Wacenturion, thanks for all of the info. I made a note to follow up on this issue in a month or so. I hope there are a few of them left.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?mid=535109&family=001C

SA 535109210 22-250 Rem. 22" 42 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 6 lbs. 12 oz. $879.99
SHOT SHOW SPECIAL LA 535109211 257 Roberts 22" 42 3/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. $879.99
SA 535109212 243 Win. 22" 42 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 6 lbs. 12 oz. $879.99
SA 535109218 7mm-08 Rem. 22" 42 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 6 lbs. 12 oz. $879.99
SA 535109220 308 Win. 22" 42 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 6 lbs. 12 oz. $879.99
LA 535109225 25-06 Rem. 22" 42 3/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. $879.99
LA 535109226 270 Win. 22" 42 3/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. $879.99
LA 535109228 30-06 Spfld. 22" 42 3/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. $879.99
NEW LA 535109229 264 Win. Mag. 24" 44 3/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. 4 oz. $919.99
LA 535109233 300 Win. Mag. 24" 44 3/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. 4 oz. $919.99
SA 535109255 300 WSM 24" 44 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. $919.99
SA 535109264 270 WSM 24" 44 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. $919.99
NEW SA 535109265 7mm WSM 24" 44 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4" 7 lbs. 4 oz. $949.99
SA 535109277 325 WSM 24" 44 1/4" 13 3/4" 1/2" 3/4"
I saw that advertised when the SHOT show was being held. I immediately called the cell phone of the dealer I do all my business with,, as I knew he was at the shot show at the time. He orderred a few of them and my name is at the top of the list,, also getting the first pick of the three he orderred!
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by Wacenturion

Hope that helps.

Wacenturion, thanks for all of the info. I made a note to follow up on this issue in a month or so. I hope there are a few of them left.

I talked to my FFL dealer today and he's going to place an order with Davidson's Gallery of Guns.
Checked with a local dealer. He said he could get me one but the price would be $850. Are they really going for $750ish? Thanks.
I talked to my dealer and he said $789
thanks, Clay. Looks like my guy is trying to make a few extra bucks.
Those of you who have a FWT 257 on order: what has your dealer said in terms of delivery? thanks
When I spoke to Winchester the person there thought the end of February they might be going out as they were in the process of building them as I talked with them.

My bet would be in the next 4-5 weeks, but just a guess.
Wacenturion thanks, hope you are right. I read on another forum that they would not be shipped until August.
Just talked with Winchester again and here's the time frames.

1. Jack O'conner Custom Tribute .270 will be available end of August

2. Jack O'conner Tribute .270 will be available first part of August.

2. Winchester 2012 Shotshow Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts will be available in approximately 180 days

I assume the other Shotshow guns would also be available in the same time frame as the "Bob".

That's the latest.
Hey, thanks for the info. Not exactly what I wanted to hear. But I guess it is what it is! wink
anyone heard an update on when these rifles will be produced?
Hard to believe it will be nicer than the Kimber 84M in 257 Roberts.
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Maybe they'll come with an Ivory grip cap... grin
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

Maybe they'll come with an Ivory grip cap... grin

I hope not.
Mine will be shipping on the 11th of Nov.
Which version?
Do you mind telling how much it costs?
M70 FEATHERWEIGHT,NS,257. $789ish.
Not a bad price. Did the pre-64 257 Roberts have the short action, or the long action like the new one?
The pre-64 was only made in a "long" action. Mag box had spacers in front/back/both to allow feeding. A filler block was added to the extractor which acted as a bolt stop and made different lengths to accomodate each caliber other than the standard 30.06 and magnum. A longer ejector compensated for shorter calibers. Wisner's Inc.
Winchester never did make a short action pre-64 Model 70, in any cartridge.
Gotcha. I really never got interested in the pre-64 rifles, or rather, what configurations were available for models back during those times.
Like my Kimber 84 the only thing not to like is the commercial finish on the wood. And also like the 84M, the intricate checkering will make hand refinishing a tedious proposition.

Looks like a winner.
Please give a range report when it arrives.
I traded my Kimber 84 7-08 for a like new M70xtr 257Bob and it's without a doubt the best damned trade I've ever made.. Kimber made some fine rimfires but they're centerfires are way too overpriced for what you get.
Originally Posted by wareagle
I traded my Kimber 84 7-08 for a like new M70xtr 257Bob and it's without a doubt the best damned trade I've ever made.. Kimber made some fine rimfires but they're centerfires are way too overpriced for what you get.

Ouch......
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by wareagle

Ouch......

Didn't hurt me one bit.. The old school blueing, action slick as glass and accurate. Hell what's not to like?
Ouch as in the Kimbers are pretty expensive so you should get what you pay for but for the most part you don't.....
I'd love to get one of the new 257's in my grubby hands though......especially if it is a fwt.....
If you heed advice well I'd highly recommend buying one if you ever have the opportunity. Mine will never be for sale.
I personally would prefer a XTR to a new mfg.. On finish alone.. Mine is gorgeous.. The blueing is stunning.
And it's a 5/8" moa shooter as it came from Winchester with no bedding or trigger work. Slapped some Leopold dual dovetail bases, Burris signature rings and a FXIII 6X42 heavy duplex and that's a damned hunting rifle.
did you all see that grices gun shop here in pa announced that they are making a limited run of 257 maple featherweights for 2013?

here is a link, i figured if you all are looking at paying 800 and some change for a normal one maybe one of these would suit your fancy.

http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/spring-sale_2012?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed
Originally Posted by 303savage
did you all see that grices gun shop here in pa announced that they are making a limited run of 257 maple featherweights for 2013?

here is a link, i figured if you all are looking at paying 800 and some change for a normal one maybe one of these would suit your fancy.

http://issuu.com/digitalwires/docs/spring-sale_2012?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed

I can dig one of those!
For some reason I can't like maple gunstocks.. Spalted Maple revolver grips or knife handles are another story though..
wonder if it will be a long action or short.
Originally Posted by southtexas
wonder if it will be a long action or short.

My understanding is it will be a long action.
Just got an email from my shop in regards to my order on the Shot Show Model 70 Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Found it unusual that it is listed as satin finished walnut with stainless receiver and barrel. Had the impression it would be blued. What do you think....good or bad?
Just got off the phone with Winchester. Apparently they are blued. Not sure why my vendor's order shows SS...maybe I'm getting a rare prototype....LOL.
Figured it out......here's the description.......SS, but with a matte finish.

Win 535109211 70 Featherweight *SS Bolt 257 Roberts 22" 5+1 Walnut, Satin SS

Model 70 has a stainless steel receiver. Stainless steel barrel; matte
finish;
free floating; Target Crown. M.O.A trigger system; Pre-64 action;
three position safety; controlled round feed; controlled ejection. Grade I
walnut stock; satin finish; cut checkering; schnabel forearm.
Hinged
floorplate; Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad; Sling swivel studs; Jeweled
bolt body; Knurled bolt handle.
I just picked one up yesterday. It's definately blued. Real nice rifle. I'm really starting to like these new Model 70s.
Winchester 70 Super Grade Featherweight in .257 Roberts, shoots as nice as it looks also. Have loaded 80 gr. TTSX and 90 gr. GMX, both over 3200 fps and quite accurate.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a nice stick. If it's a Cabela's, the wood is far better than any that I've handled.
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
That's a nice stick. If it's a Cabela's, the wood is far better than ant that I've handled.

I would bet it is. The only Super Grade offering in that caliber is the Cabelas. Seen three in person so far, but that one of Jay's is the nicest wood I've seen.
It is a Cabela's guys, got it in the Maine store. They had 2 and this one had the better wood. It was a tough decision though, they had just dropped the price on some .270 FWT Cabela's specials like $400.00 and one of them had nice wood also. I would bet if these don't move by this time next year they will drop the price on the .257's too.
Had the same thing happen. The Cabelas near me had three in .257 Roberts...2 ok...and one pretty decent, but not near the look of yours. There was also a .270 with absolutely beautiful wood, much nicer than the .257's, and marked down $400 as well.

Still debating..........
I ordered my .257 M-70 featherweight from Bud's Gun Shop today. $707 + $8 insurance + 3% for using a credit card. I'll have about $735 in it and then have to pay my FFL dealer about $35 on this end to do the paperwork.

I think a 6 X 36 Leupold will work about right on this rifle.

I'm going to try 115-grain Nosler partitions with IMR-4831 powder first. I'll also try some W-W and Federal factory loads in it.
I ordered my .257 M-70 featherweight from Bud's Gun Shop today. $707 + $8 insurance + 3% for using a credit card. I'll have about $735 in it and then have to pay my FFL dealer about $35 on this end to do the paperwork.

I'm going to try 115-grain Nosler partitions with IMR-4831 powder first. I'll also try some W-W and Federal factory loads in it.

Nice. Post a pic or two when you get it and let us know how it shoots for you. You going to get a chance to hunt it this year?
Originally Posted by bearstalker

Nice. Post a pic or two when you get it and let us know how it shoots for you. You going to get a chance to hunt it this year?

I'll try to post a few pics and let you know how it shoots. I don't know if I'll get a chance to take it hunting or not this year.
You guys are slow, I got mine a couple of months ago.
Saw one of the Shot Show .257's at my local Cabelas yesterday. Apparently Cabelas must have ordered a few. It was marked limited on the tag. Only difference was Cabelas wanted $840 for it, a hundred plus what others are selling them for.
Well, I finally picked up my M-70 featherweight .257 Roberts today. The bluing looks good, as does the wood-to-metal fit, but the wood is unspectacular. I took a few pictures but they didn't turn out so well so I didn't bother to post them.

I probably won't have any range reports for a couple of weeks.
Jocko, sounds like a twin of mine. I'm not even going to post a picture of it because it looks like the generic Featherweight that Winchester uses in its catalogs. I'm a little disappointed because last years SHOT Show special I ordered had wood that was almost a notch above standard with a good amount of fiddleback.

Mine going to have to wait until next spring for the range because it's hunting season.
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Jocko, sounds like a twin of mine. I'm not even going to post a picture of it because it looks like the generic Featherweight that Winchester uses in its catalogs. I'm a little disappointed because last years SHOT Show special I ordered had wood that was almost a notch above standard with a good amount of fiddleback.

Mine going to have to wait until next spring for the range because it's hunting season.

I'm going to Cabela's tomorrow and see what they have in stock. I was a little disappointed with the wood but overall the rilfe is OK. If it shoots good, that's what really matters.
Starting to have second thought myself in regards to the plain jane look of these. I have not picked mine up yet, but put a $100 non refundable down on it.

May go the route Jay went and forget my deposit, then put the remainder and then some into one of the new Supergrades. There is a fairly nice .257 Cabelas where I'm at (not as spectacular as Jay's) but nice.

Too bad for a shot show run they didn't upgrade the wood and charge a little more.
On Gunbroker:

Link to .257 Roberts on Gunbroker
Followed Jay's lead. Super Grade Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Finally found one with wood I liked, so I jumped on it. Hope it shoots as well as Jay's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
It's a lot nicer than the ones I saw in Dundee. I'd have spent the coin on one that looked as nice as yours or Jay's. Makes my standard Featherweight's wood look like so much mud.
Wacenturion,
Very nice, great looking wood! I have settled on my final load, 42.5 gr. Varget w/ 80 gr. TTSX- shoots little tiny groups in this rifle with no pressure signs at all.
I do believe the quality of these guns is as good as it gets in an American factory rifle. The fit and finish is top shelf. Hope you enjoy that rifle.
Jay
How are you guys liking the standard featherweight? I'm tempted to get one. I dont have the coin for the supergrade but I like those pictures. Anyone have pictures of the wood on the standards?
Originally Posted by fishermen0105
How are you guys liking the standard featherweight? I'm tempted to get one. I dont have the coin for the supergrade but I like those pictures. Anyone have pictures of the wood on the standards?

Here you go. Couple photos of one I made a deposit on but will probably not get it now, as I picked up the Super Grade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire