Home
Bought it new in the mid 1960's for Ruffed grouse and Bobwhite quail hunting. It has a Improved Cylinder 26" barrel and overall weight of the gun is 6 1/2 lbs. Shot it in a skeet shooting league for about 30 years. Love the gun.

Anyone else own and shoot one?

[Linked Image]
Sorry for the ignorant question, but what is different about the Featherweight model? How much lighter is it? thanks
the FW is not a takedown.
The featherweight has a quick takedown feature. A knurled knob at the end of the magazine releases the barrel. The simplified design and an aluminum-alloy trigger guard shed some weight. It is about a pound lighter than a standard model.
They are nice guns, they just don't have the following as the standard weight gun. That one looks mint.
I assume the stopped making the FWT in '63, too? (along with the standard M12)
It is in very good shape. The forend is not original finish. Quick shucking the action shooting skeet took its toll and cracked the forend. I had a stockmaker repair and refinish it. Many rounds of skeet later and it is still going strong.
A precious piece of the best of Americana, but I have a really nice model 12 in 12 Y and have long ago capitulated to 20 ga. Auto-5 featherweights except for ducks and geese. However, I would really like to feel that gun. It's a beauty.
I'm a fan of the grand old Winchester Model 12. My Featherweight is a 12 ga. with a 28" modified choke barrel. Fine shotgun.
Originally Posted by roundoak
The featherweight has a quick takedown feature. A knurled knob at the end of the magazine releases the barrel. The simplified design and an aluminum-alloy trigger guard shed some weight. It is about a pound lighter than a standard model.

That is not considered a take down . just a way to remove the barrel.the magazine and forearm it still attached. if that constitutes a take down then almost every shot gun is a takedown.
I also have a Featherweight Model 12 in 12 gauge and a modified choke, makes for a fine pheasant gun. It's a joy to carry and shoot and doesn't have a mark on it.
© 24hourcampfire