Home
For me it's the .243 FWT
Low recoil and ammo can be had for under 20 a box.
I use mine only at the range.

I suspect it would also be a favorite of white tail hunters out to 200 yards.
1951 300 H&H with a Leupold 2.5-8x on it. I have plenty others but it eems like when it is go time the H&H is what I grab.
264 Westener with K6 Weaver.
Griffin & Howe M/70 .35 Whelen with 2-7X Leupold for big game and Prewar .257 Roberts for whitetail.
The one on top, a 1955 Fwt. In .243 with a B&L Balvar.

[Linked Image]
I can't decide. My least favorite is a 30-06 FWT because it is the least accurate, but that doesn't mean I dislike it.
1955 30-06. Originally a standard weight with the low comb stock, it now has a FW barrel and the raised comb stock. It looks exactly like Cartods 243 above except it is well used and shows it. With an old Leupold 3-9 Compact scope it weighed 8 lbs. It gained a few oz. since I put a 3-9 VX-II on it but is still nice to carry in the mountains. I shot my best Rifle Silhouette scores with that rifle when it was a standard weight and have killed a bunch of deer with it. Love that rifle!
A custom on a pre-64 action is new to me so it's a current favorite. It's aftermarket .300 Win. M. barrel made a small group at 100 yds Friday but I am still playing with the bedding and have to load more ammo today.

I got an old .264 Westerner out of the back row for the longer ranges here and to have less recoil than the .300. I did not shoot all that great with the load my memory said was all set!

It did shoot some 107 gr Match Kings well. Maybe I will order some 130 VLD hunting or maybe put the 264 back where it was.

[Linked Image]

The M70 on the right has been a reliable, stays sighted in rifle for a long time. It's a 300HH. Forget what the load is. It's in the back row as other rifles have my interest.

1954 Featherweight .308 with a 3x9 Leupold. Its a deer killing machine. I often just hunt with an old lever action Savage or Winchester as its almost like taking candy from a baby to use that thing.
[Linked Image]

.30-06FW. My only m70.
I will never part ways with this 300 H&H Mag.

[Linked Image]

But you could try! wink

donsm70
270 Winchester is my favorite rifle of all that I have.
[Linked Image]
One for every situation:
-A .243 FWT (last year Winchester prod before stopping) 6x Leupold
-pre 64 in 270 with Leupold 6x
-pre 64 30-06 with G&H side mount 2 3/4 Redfield and a Lyman 48 rear
-pre 64 7mm mag with 3.5 to 10 Leupold
-1937 prod Super grade in 300 H&H, Custom side mount (similar to G&H) Leupold 1.5 to 5 and a Lyman 48 rear
-pre 64 Mag action in a custom wildcat 35 "Z magnum" (This is a 375 H&H blown out and necked down to 35 caliber) 1.5 to 5 Leupold
I've only carried a couple of mine hunting but I plan to carry all of them at some time,..one at a time..:-)
I've carried the top one which is a 1960 action with a Shilen barrel in 308 Norma and a McMillan stock.
I've carried the middle one which is a '59 Fwt in 30-06.
[Linked Image]
My 30-06 and 308 fwt....:

[Linked Image]
This 358 Win.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
No doubt a FW 270 for me.
Bushmaster1313: For shooting my favorite pre-64 Model 70 was an ultra-accurate Varmint Model in 243 Winchester.
I have had lots of fun shooting this Rifle from the bench.
Alas I retired this nifty Rifle about 15 years ago and now just admire it and clean it now and then.
For Hunting my all time favorite pre-64 Model 70 is a "tie" between a 1950's vintage Standard Rifle in 30/06 and a 1950's vintage Standard Rifle in 270 Winchester.
I have Hunted ALL manner of Big Game with these two Rifles from Antelope to Moose to Bear and Elk.
Again I "retired" these Rifles some time ago and now just let them "appreciate" in my gun vault.
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
My favorite is a 300 H&H Super-Grade with an old steel tubed Weaver 4-12X40 AO in a set of Conetrols firing 200 gr Swift A Frames with H-4831.

I love that old rifle, and they can throw it in the box with me at my funeral. grin

Gunner
'55 FWT 243, that Dad bought new for Mom. Shoots 100gr Nosler Solid Bases into one hole.
Originally Posted by southtexas
'55 FWT 243, that Dad bought new for Mom. Shoots 100gr Nosler Solid Bases into one hole.

Very heartwarming.

Dad buys gun for Mom
Mom's gun shoots well.

Doesn't get any better than that
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles Bsa , let me guess the bottom one is the 308. whistle
Originally Posted by raybass

[Linked Image]

Nice rifles Bsa , let me guess the bottom one is the 308. whistle

I'm glad you can tell which one is which grin
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Originally Posted by southtexas

Very heartwarming.

Dad buys gun for Mom
Mom's gun shoots well.

Doesn't get any better than that

I liked the story too. I've got a std wt pre 64 model 70 chambered for 30-06 and I tried shooting one of those "one hole" groups with it once......Yes, I f'd it up though sick grin:

[Linked Image]

It still isn't my "favorite" hunting pre 64...That title goes to the fwt's, hands down: The fwt's are so much more comfortable to carry and the stocks seem to fit me a little better...
Good shootin bsa, I like the standards to a point but admit the featherweights are my favorite. Have to admit also that I have been tempted by the 308's in the featherweight. shocked
I bought my first P-64-70 in January. 1968, an unfired Alaskan in .338WM. I have now owned, loaded for and shot 43 of these rifles and have sold off all but 11 of them. I have minty matched pairs, two of .338s, a pair of .300-.375H&H, almost stonemint and FWTS in .30-06 and three .270s, one rebarreled with a Classic FWT sts tube on a superb 1946 action.

My favourite among these is my original .338 and it is in nice shape and in a Micky Fwt. stock and shoots "bugholes" with warm 250NP loads. But, I usually now use custom Brno 21 and ZG rifles for my hunting and my combo guns so the P-64s just rest in my safes...but, I will say that few production rifles I have seen will outshoot a good P-64-70, with decent loads and the older Stds in .270 and ,30-06 I have had about 25-30 of, are usually just amazing in accuracy.
A 1952 Standard 30/06 with Weaver K6. Shoots 165 SGK cloverleafs.
1963 .338WM. I have a few 300 H&Hs, a .243 Fw, and standard .270 and 06s, but the .338 is the belle of the ball.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to put a Partition thru the the pumper in a few months

Pretty!

Nice chunka wood.
Damn thats SWEET GN308, looks like ya got one of those old purple 42mm 3-9 Leupolds on her too, I have one on an old 7X57. wink

Gunner
Originally Posted by gunner500
My favorite is a 300 H&H Super-Grade with an old steel tubed Weaver 4-12X40 AO in a set of Conetrols firing 200 gr Swift A Frames with H-4831.

I love that old rifle, and they can throw it in the box with me at my funeral. grin

Gunner

We need to work something out with your wife on that... cool

No need to waste such a fine piece of ordinance... smile

DF
DF, your thinkin' right. Need to keep an eye on the obituaries. I've got a backhoe wink... laugh
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Gunner

We need to work something out with your wife on that... cool

No need to waste such a fine piece of ordinance... smile

DF

You guys are bad...By the way, I already called her yesterday and made arrangements... whistle
laugh, thats right, sorry DF anf GN308, BSA's done got a truck rented and checkin' on my LI policies shocked eek grin

Gunner
laugh, thats right, sorry DF anf GN308, BSA's done got a truck rented and checkin' on my LI policies shocked eek grin

Gunner

I'm not too picky, you can keep the heavy kickers.... sick cry
Thought BSA was camped out at Chic Filet? whistle
I'm just sayin, I'd love to have an old 300 H&H like gunners...I shot one last summer and that damn thing kept right up with my 300 wsm (I know that's sacrilige for comparison). They feed like a hot knife through butter and are sweet shooters....The owner of the old pre 64 model 70 300 H&H put 3 shots into less than 1" at 160 yards....pretty damn respectable for any rifle, not just an old one like that...
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Thought BSA was camped out at Chic Filet? whistle

BSA is everywhere, "at once" eek he taught the same thing to Chuck Norris. shocked

Gunner
Hey BSA, if ya wanna see it send me yer e-mail again and I'll have the Wifey send ya a pic of my old H&H tomorrow eve.

Gunner
Hey BSA, if ya wanna see it send me yer e-mail again and I'll have the Wifey send ya a pic of my old H&H tomorrow eve.

Gunner

I'll do that....
10-4 Bro, i'll be lookin for it. wink

Gunner
I love my 1941 left handed model 70 in 35 Whelen. It thinks it's a varmint gun and shoots any 250 grain bullet over 4320 very well.

Mart
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

.270 WCF that I hope to punch a nanny with in a few months. RL-22 and 150 Partitions

Wow, Gunnut.

That a nice one and it looks mint.

Great piece of wood for a factory M-70.

DF

Gunner

laugh laugh

Gunner

laugh laugh

Yeah Ok, I'll send those on down to DF, he may need an occasional good jarring. shocked laugh

Gunner

Gunner

I'll do that....

Pics of the old 300 Magnum sent Bro. wink

Gunner

Gunner

I'll do that....

Pics of the old 300 Magnum sent Bro. wink

Gunner

Thanks, do you want me to post them?? Very nice rifle and from the sounds of it, it shoots lights out too....

Gunner

laugh laugh

Yeah Ok, I'll send those on down to DF, he may need an occasional good jarring. shocked laugh

Gunner

I'm partial to keeping my fillings... shocked

DF
Hey BSA, yeah, you can post 'em if ya want too, sorry some of them are 180 off crazy smile

And agreed DF, I swallowed a gold crown one night LOL, would hate to buy that damn thing at todays rates eek

Gunner
Here's gunners very nice 300 H&H SG:

[Linked Image]
Thanks BSA, that old thunder stick is resting on the sweet gum stump waiting on fall. grin
I sent those sling swivels off to Scenarshooter, he had his shop hands sew a nice Montana sling around them wink, I have the old original sling, but I couldnt trust it eek it was kinda worn and I dont wanna drop the old girl.

Gunner
I like those slings.

Gunner, that ole .300 H&H can't kick nearly hard enough to really be one of your favorites... wink

DF
I like those slings.

Gunner, that ole .300 H&H can't kick nearly hard enough to really be one of your favorites... wink

DF

LOL, oh yes it is grin, it's recoil impulse feels very slow, not like the WBY and Winchester mags.
6.5X55 Swede, 300 H&H, and 9.3X62 are all gentle kickers to me, and cartridges I will continue to shoot, and some day, be all I will be able to shoot. shocked Methusula would have liked the 300 H&H laugh

Gunner
22 Hornet Super Grade - Redfield Widefield 4x - Roving Woodchuck - 45 grain soft points - old well broke in leather shooting sling
Here's gunners very nice 300 H&H SG:

[Linked Image]

This proves beyond any doubt that Gunner is a guy possessed of impeccable good taste. grin
I walk a different path . Being an informal Target and Varmint shooter I like a BenchRest Type Rifle . I have a 243 Target Model 70 ( not the Varmint ) which is in pieces . The Burl wood Marksman Stock has a horrible ( to me ) super shiny Finish someone put on . The outside of the Barrel looks awful , but the Bore looks great . If I ever figure out how to refinish it the way I want , I will shoot a few Targets and then decide whether to re-barrel it .
Well Thanks Bob. blush LOL

Gunner
Originally Posted by Bill_I
22 Hornet Super Grade - Redfield Widefield 4x - Roving Woodchuck - 45 grain soft points - old well broke in leather shooting sling

I have one to, fun aint they? smile

Gunner
My favorite is one of my Fwt. .270 Gopher Specials. Its going elk hunting this year in New Mexico.
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
My favorite is one of my Fwt. .270 Gopher Specials. Its going elk hunting this year in New Mexico.

Is the "gopher special" a factory built specialty rifle, or is it something you had built?

Gunner

Is the "gopher special" a factory built specialty rifle, or is it something you had built?

Gunner

Not answering for bigwhoop, just an interesting tid bit of winchester history to pass along...:

Some of those rifles were built just like the Gopher specials but didn't have the credentials or paperwork specifying that's what they were so they were pretty much just class 4 special order rifles. If they were made before 1959 they would not have been a true "gopher special". Also, only (approximately) 300 of these rifles were actually sold by gopher's shooter's supply ...

bigwhoop: Nice! What scope?
Well, I'm still debating that with myself. Either a 6 power Leupie or a 3-9x40 LR. Probably the former cause it fits the era.
I'll load 150gr. Partitions of course.
Well, I'm still debating that with myself. Either a 6 power Leupie or a 3-9x40 LR. Probably the former cause it fits the era.
I'll load 150gr. Partitions of course.

If you don't mind, post some pics of that rifle after you get her all scoped and ready to go....I almost bought one like that a while back from Cabela's....Drug my dang feet too long though!!!
Will do BSA. By the way, you are right on the "Gopher Special" history. A true "GS" is hard to come by, should have the plastic buttplate and only came in .243,.270Win. and 30-06.

The one I will take was purchased by a deceased friends father in 1960 or so directly from Gopher Shooters Supply in southern Minnesota. He worked there a bit as a beginner gunsmith. The rifle was hunted for about 20-25 in the Kaycee/Buffalo Wyoming area for mulies and pronghorn.
Unfortunately the family couldn't find any hunting photos or if he even took any. No luck on finding the receipt for the rifle either.

© 24hourcampfire