Home
Posted By: SquibLoad Need help IDing model 70 - 10/08/12
I picked this up earlier this year and have had a hard time determining what model this is. I believe it's an International Army Match rifle which is fairly rare from what I've read.
The rifle has not been fired. I'd like to shoot it but if it is a International Match,I'll keep it as is. Is there anybody I can call who can verify it by the serial# ?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m8/whitetailnut/Winchester%20Model%2070/DSCF0633.jpg[/img]
Posted By: seewin Re: Need help IDing model 70 - 10/09/12
I think you will find that your rifle is not an ISU match. These were very specialized 70's built to meet the International Shooting Union requirements. They were introduced around 1970, and every one that I have ever seen was a 308. I own 2, and both are in the G1,125,XXX to G1,380,XXX range. I also have a similar one to yours and when you hold them side by side, you can see some major differences in the stock profiles. The biggest difference though is that the ISU's were made using the Palma Match or Ultra Match actions which had an externally adjustable trigger which was accessed through a small hole in the rear tang area, just to the rear of the bolt. They were all factory bedded in Bisonite in the custom shop at Winchester as well. Your rifle appears to be a '64/65 vintage based on the firing pin collar. Hope this helps.
Steve
Posted By: SquibLoad Re: Need help IDing model 70 - 10/09/12
This one is G1,361,*** and is bedded. When I first got the rifle I took it apart to look it over. I thought I'd never get it back together. It took me forever and I was worried I was going to screw it up in the process.

I've read that they could be ordered thru the custom shop with or without the adjustable trigger and in .308 and 30-06.

Posted By: seewin Re: Need help IDing model 70 - 10/10/12
Here are some pics of my original ISU. Notice differences in stock shape, cheekpiece, buttpad, bedding, and trigger adjustment holes in tang. As a note, my ISU clone look's pretty close to yours. It has the sharp angle cheepiece and what look's like the same Mershon buttpad.
Steve
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire