Home
A good range session today, 17* with little wind and filtered sun.
One main reason was to verify for the third time that this 1960 Fwt. is up to the task. The photos show two of todays 3 shot groups shot off my Eberlestock pack while seated on top of the snow. Those are 4 inch squares. It is great fun when the load and a 52 year old rifle come together.
The single shot targets, two of which are 5 inch squares and shot at 200 yards are what I call the "cold barrel test".
Get out of the truck, setup and sit down to shoot some cold barrels to simulate mid winter elk hunting. Those centered 200 yard squares are center holds. With a 180g. Partition, this gives me -3" at 250yds, -8" at 300yds, -14" at 350yds and -22 at 400yds..
With the McMillan stock, Talleys, Weaver K6, Butler Creeks and a Scopecoat, the digital says 7# 6 oz..
Can't go with the wood stock. Too much cold, snow and rocks to contend with.
I don't know what field success this rifle has seen in the past, but it is ready to go hunt up a big fat cow!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Nice set up. Good luck on the hunt. 180 Partition is a great choice for the 06.
Is it an edge stock or regular fill?

What pattern stock?
Regular stock, regular pattern for a Featherweight.
I killed a few elk with a 30-06 including my best bull. I used 165 gr TSX in my loads and they were both bang flops at 250 and 200 yards. That Fwt will work just fine. Zero worries, 100% confidence.

RAS
Great rig. All you need now is a cooperative elk.
BW. yep I'd say you're ready. Great looking rig...is that a rifle I've known in the past?
Good luck on the hunt.

Randy
Very nice rifle and good shooting, too! Got anymore pictures of the rifle?
Nice shooting! It's good to see pre-64's out in the field!

Eric
Very nice BW....Thanks for representing and EricM is right: "It's good to see pre-64's out in the field"!!! Looks like you have a keeper. That 7 pounds 6 oz's. sounds just about perfect for an 06. I have a request though. Let us see the rifle without the patches of target covering it. I want to see more of the rifle!!!!
I agree, very nice setup!
Nice setup and some good shooting. The Model 70 Featherweight, 180gr Nosler combination has been ideal for more than 50 years now. Should be ideal 50 years from now too.
Pics are down and we love pics! smile
© 24hourcampfire