Home
A Jack O'Conner tribute Winchester Model 70 was auctioned off by Shot Show for upwards of $15,000:

Special LImited Edition Jack O'Conn...HOW. - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

Here is a picture from the Winchester site:

[Linked Image]

Link to Jack's son holding the real No. 2

Snagged the correct scope on E-Bay and mounted it on my 1958 .270 FWT with the Weaver grand Slams that I had in the drawer:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On this rifle, a Mountaineer 4X is like a set of Cokes on a 5 Screw N Frame.

Mr. O'Conner mounted his Mountaineer with Tilden rings.
I have Buehler bases -- and I am looking for the right rings.
Looking good............did you get my PM. Have scanned those Buehler instructions and can send to you if you need them.
Outdoor lighting

[Linked Image]
Hands down I had much rather have your gun, fantastic classic. Whitetail hammer ( Im in SW GA and 225 lb whitetails is it for big game )nice wood on yours.
Thank you
I don't hunt but if I did, this would be the go to gun.

I do shoot it, and I will keep it in proper working order for the next owner, who will undoubtedly be a hunter.

Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Thank you

I do shoot it, and I will keep it in proper working order for the next owner, who will undoubtedly be a hunter.

I would like to be next owner of yours, out of 19 centerfire guns I own and shoot the .270 is the one I have never owned nor harvested a whitetail with. I have seen many deer killed with the .270 and do not know why Ive never owned one.
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313
Thank you

I would like to be next owner of yours, out of 19 centerfire guns I own and shoot the .270 is the one I have never owned nor harvested a whitetail with. I have seen many deer killed with the .270 and do not know why Ive never owned one.

Hopefully it will be a while before I let this one go.
Now with SK mounts and rings

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So much nicer than the Weaver Grand Slams on the Weaver bases:

[Linked Image]
Looking good!
In summary:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Very nice looking rifle! Now go hunting with it, that is of course after you get it bored to 280 whistle
I agree, take the darn thing hunting. Leave it a 270 though! grin
Very nice looking rifle! Now go hunting with it, that is of course after you get it bored to 280

I agree, take the darn thing hunting. Leave it a 270 though!

I do not hunt, but if I did, this would be my go to gun.
How in the world can you own a rifle like that, and not hunt? I have a 1956 270 Fwt, that you just gave me an idea on.

Does anyone know what reticle was in JOC's Mountaineer?
Jeff, I think it was plain chosshairs. Take care...Bill.
Originally Posted by RAS
How in the world can you own a rifle like that, and not hunt?

I enjoy owning and shooting classic and classy firearms.
© 24hourcampfire