Home
Posted By: Buzzaw Bolt work? - 04/23/14
Stopped by Jackson Armory in Dallas yesterday, spoke with their head gunsmith. This store specializes in older and antique firearms.

I asked him about taking the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning. I asked him if I could do it, he said really, NO. So I am going to take the rifle to him, for this, also to learn more about my new Pre-64 70.

Question; Back in the day, we used to field strip our 1911's and soak all parts in a bucket of Varsol, dry cleaning fluid. This would strip everything off the metal, we would then blow dry and re lube with lot's of Marvel Mystery Oil. Could I submerge the M70 bolt in the varsol, let it soak, blow it out, re-lube? I want to make sure all springs, etc are good to go.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: Bolt work? - 04/24/14
The pre 64 bolt is probably the easiest bolt to disassemble and clean. I cant understand why his reservation. As to soaking it in Varsol, I have never seen or used this product. I simply remove the firing pin assembly, a remarkably simple process, and squirt the innards down with engine starting fluid, wait a few minute for it to evaporate and then oil it and reassemble. I have worked on this model for 40 plus years and have never seen or heard of a firing pin spring failure. In fact the springs are so stout, they had a reputation of altering headspace on the rifles chambered in 35 Remington. I would council against rebluing the bolt as it had no useful reason and devalues the rifle.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Bolt work? - 04/24/14
Originally Posted by Buzzaw
Stopped by Jackson Armory in Dallas yesterday, spoke with their head gunsmith. This store specializes in older and antique firearms.

I asked him about taking the bolt apart for a thorough cleaning. I asked him if I could do it, he said really, NO. So I am going to take the rifle to him, for this, also to learn more about my new Pre-64 70.

Question; Back in the day, we used to field strip our 1911's and soak all parts in a bucket of Varsol, dry cleaning fluid. This would strip everything off the metal, we would then blow dry and re lube with lot's of Marvel Mystery Oil. Could I submerge the M70 bolt in the varsol, let it soak, blow it out, re-lube? I want to make sure all springs, etc are good to go.

I wouldn't let that smith work on my stick horse. If he thinks you are not capable of tearing a model 70 bolt apart, he either thinks you are a retard or he wants your money for a 5 second tear down of the most simple bolt design ever made.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Bolt work? - 04/24/14
He might be a good 'smith, but he's fleecing you. If you can field strip a 1911 then this is a piece of cake. As BSA said, simple.
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: Bolt work? - 04/24/14
thanks guys, I agree. Do I need a special tool?
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Bolt work? - 04/24/14
There is a tool that makes taking the firing pin spring and keeper off very easy, it can be done without the tool BUT I looked for a week in my office before finding a keeper that 'shot off'. I have also heard horror story's of firing pins getting away!very best winpoor
Posted By: Buzzaw Re: Bolt work? - 04/26/14
Thanks winpoor, you have so much knowledge of these cool rifles
© 24hourcampfire