Home
Posted By: Wacenturion Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/21/14
Bought one when they first came out, but just ran across another one last week. Been watching for awhile and they are getting harder to fine in any number, especially with wood I like.

Thought I did well on the first one, but the latest is very, very nice considering it, as is the first one, is just the tribute model.

First two pictures the original one(first picture doesn't do justice to the wood), last two pictures the newer one. What you don't see in any of the four photos is the subdued fiddle that runs through both when you move in the light a certain way.

Perhaps when I order the matching soft case I'll get the correct spelling on Lewiston....giving me one of each as I have the mispelled version already.

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC014_zps945a4b4d.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC013_zpsd1d80745.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC0015_zps2b9a83c4.jpg.html][Linked Image]

http://s98.photobucket.com/user/SS30ANV/media/MyJOC0016_zps2242daa3.jpg.html][Linked Image]
For those of us not familiar with these rifles, a little (or a lot) history would be welcome. How many were made, caliber,years....... they sure are beautiful.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/22/14
That second rifle has super nice figure on the wood!
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/22/14
Originally Posted by robertacabin
For those of us not familiar with these rifles, a little (or a lot) history would be welcome. How many were made, caliber,years....... they sure are beautiful.

These rifles were chambered in.270 only in honor of Jack O'Connor, thus the JOC reference. They had two models available...the Tribute (black rubber pad on stock with AA wood..msr...$1999.00), and the Custom Tribute (checkered metal butt plate and AAA wood...msr....$2499.00).

They only made the following numbers.........

Custom Tribute.....506
Tribute................410

Here's a link to a Winchester article regarding their unveling at the 2012 Shot Show.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/library/articles/detail.asp?id=397
Beautiful rifles. Especially the second one..
If you don't mind, let us know how they shoot and if you have any problems with copper fouling. A member here was having a terrible time with his. Thanks..
Posted By: RGK Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/25/14
Wish they made them in a lefty...
Bob
JOC wasn't a lefty... grin
Posted By: Wacenturion Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/25/14
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If you don't mind, let us know how they shoot and if you have any problems with copper fouling. A member here was having a terrible time with his. Thanks..

Will do.
Posted By: Kitch Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/30/14
That would be me. Yes, I had some copper fouling problems. Beautiful rifle but lately I haven't had the chance to work with it due to just getting home from bypass surgery in my left leg. I can't even stand yet, have to use a walker. It may be weeks before I can get back to the range as I'm undergoing therapy. frown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Kitch, I hope you heal up fast. Take it easy buddy...
Posted By: Kitch Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/30/14
Me too, BSA, but it'll be about two weeks before I can walk they tell me. They stripped a vein out of my leg to bypass a blockage but, that's another story and another thread. Thanks for the well wishes.
Posted By: john843 Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/31/14
Kitch, just looking at the wood on that thing ought to make your leg feel better:) Good luck with your rehab, hope you're up and around real soon.
John
Posted By: Kitch Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 07/31/14
It's pretty for sure. I have a SC born and bred Winchester 7x57 and a recently(pre-surgery) purchased Remington 700 Classic 35 Whelen and I haven't had the chance to shoot either one of them yet.

I still can't walk after being home a week. I have to move about with a walker. The physical therapist told me yesterday afternoon it may be two weeks yet. frown
Posted By: reelman Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/20/15
Bringing up an old thread. I just stopped at the local fun store and they have a NIB Custom Tribute with beautiful wood. This is a pre-owned but unfired rifle that the first owner already sent in for the case and other stuff for it. They are asking $2295 for it but I think I can get it for $2000. What do you guys think, sound like a decent price? It would look nice next to my 270 Ultra Grade.
reelman, if you can live with the FN BACO. I say go for it ! ! ! Just a reminder of Kitch's problem he's had with his JOC rifle: It fouls something terrible. If you want to go mining for copper, look Kitch up.. wink
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/20/15
Lord, those are pretty rifles! EVERY time I see one . . . "I don't need that, I don't need that, I don't need that . . ."
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/20/15
Buy it reelman.

Then take it sheep hunting. smile
JOC was a good man and knew a good rifle when he saw it. I'm sure he'd even like the new BACO's... whistle
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
What is it with his particular series that causes the copper fouling? Wouldn't using Molly coated bullets reduce or eliminate that? I molly coat the NBT's I use in my 257 Wby and all my varmint rifles.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
I bought one of the Tributes last year. It shoots extremely well and the bore does not foul very much at all. Took an eating-size mule deer buck with it last fall.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
Copper fouling?

Dyna Bore Coat is the first thing I'd try. Will probably be the last thing needed.

DF
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I bought one of the Tributes last year. It shoots extremely well and the bore does not foul very much at all. Took an eating-size mule deer buck with it last fall.
Interesting,the "egg heads" here say that a .270 bullet bounces off animals. whistle grin
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Copper fouling?

Dyna Bore Coat is the first thing I'd try. Will probably be the last thing needed.

DF

Kitch gave that a try. I'm pretty sure it still copper fouls pretty badly though.. It's a shame too, because the rifle is a beauty. I'd love to have one, just to look at grin
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Interesting,the "egg heads" here say that a .270 bullet bounces off animals. whistle grin

They do don't they??? whistle
Posted By: reelman Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy it reelman.

Then take it sheep hunting. smile

If I could afford a sheep hunt I wouldn't be asking, I'd just buy it!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
Yup. grin
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Had To Buy Another JOC - 03/21/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Copper fouling?

DF

Kitch gave that a try. I'm pretty sure it still copper fouls pretty badly though.. It's a shame too, because the rifle is a beauty. I'd love to have one, just to look at grin

Just wondering if he really got it clean before application.

It may need a second coat.

DF
© 24hourcampfire