Home
I know EricM would love to have this one. Beretzs has one and I really like mine. It will surely be one of the last ones I let go. Here's your chance to buy a damned nice original looking rifle right here. I don't know the seller, but this one looks pretty legitimate. I wonder what his reserve price is?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454242980
$2200 dollars you can keep it....
few mon.s back I should have bought a NIB for 3500. , This looks fair to me! WinPoor
Aren't the checkering panels a little large for a late pre-64? If ok, that's a fine rifle.
79S: My better 338 is in fact in better shape than the out of focus photos of the Alaskan on Gunbroker.
Mine IS very close to 100% condition.
I would not even consider selling mine for $2,200.00
Remember out of 581,400+ pre-64 Model 70's made only 01.64% of that production were made in caliber 338 Winchester Magnum!
Of those 9,550 338's I am estimating maybe 2% of that number are still in the condition "described" (but not verified by the out of focus photos - the floors are in focus but NOT the Rifle in question!) on Gunbroker, SO... maybe 200 Alaskans exist in the condition in question.
Yeah, I would say the folks that bid that Rifle up to $2,200.00 were on the right track.
And again I would not even consider selling my best Alaskan for only $2,200.00!
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Varmint guy, my Alaskan isn't in as good of condition as this one, and I wouldn't sell mine for $2,200.00. Even if 79s begged me.... grin cool
You won't have to worry about me begging you. My stainless classic in 375 h&h will serve just fine if [bleep] gets real serious then I will grab cz 550 in a 416 rigby... But most times I carry my EW in a 325 wsm using cup and cor 200gr Speer bullets smile
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
79S: My better 338 is in fact in better shape than the out of focus photos of the Alaskan on Gunbroker.
Mine IS very close to 100% condition.
I would not even consider selling mine for $2,200.00
Remember out of 581,400+ pre-64 Model 70's made only 01.64% of that production were made in caliber 338 Winchester Magnum!
Of those 9,550 338's I am estimating maybe 2% of that number are still in the condition "described" (but not verified by the out of focus photos - the floors are in focus but NOT the Rifle in question!) on Gunbroker, SO... maybe 200 Alaskans exist in the condition in question.
Yeah, I would say the folks that bid that Rifle up to $2,200.00 were on the right track.
And again I would not even consider selling my best Alaskan for only $2,200.00!
Long live the Riflemans Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Again you can keep it guns like that never get used for hunting sit in a safe make an appearance when the dick measuring contests take place on here then go back in the safe.
Oh lord... cry
79S, I get the idea you measure dicks like cats measure tails, from the azz hole! very best on a very nice 338 win mag, someone will get a nice gun at a fair market price! The best WinPoor
Prices of .338 Magnum M/70's have certainly appreciated over the years. I bought my .338 from Shuman's Gun Shop in 1979, I paid $699.00. It was in 95%+ condition and had a Canjar trigger, with 275 grain Speer bullets over a stiff load of IMR 4350 it would shoot 3 shot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards. It was hands down the most accurate M/70 I've ever owned.
Two Winchester traders that I have never had any bad feedback from in my mod 70 trading are Perry county and Shumans, I did biz with Shumans many years ago, I understand it has changed hands but Mr Randy still trades a few.
I ran across this one that Perry County is offering, maybe it will give guys a baseline or idea of the market. very best Winchester folks.
http://www.pcfirearms.com/winchesters/model70/P-5375.pdf
Winpoor
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
79S, I get the idea you measure dicks like cats measure tails, from the azz hole! very best on a very nice 338 win mag, someone will get a nice gun at a fair market price! The best WinPoor

Lol its ok tiger your supercool don't you forget that!
I for one would love to have a .338 win mag to go with my .264 win mag and 300 win mag. My late father in law was a Dr in S FL, his sister was on Wyoming Fish and Game, her husband was Atty Gen., These folks all came up the hard way being children of the depression, doc would spend 2 weeks a year hunting in WY. and I will never forget what he had to say to me about the model 70 .338 Win Mag. and I quote from a vivid memory.' Son there has never been a better big game gun made for WY hunting. With proper bullet placement it just wilts em in their tracks! I know my wife enjoyed the elk steaks but was not in love with bear meat in the least!She was not a big fan of speed goat but enjoyed the mule deer OK. Elk took no 1 spot in the tasty dept no doubt! A .338 win mag is on my bucket list as is a trip out west to put the gun to good use! very best WinPoor

Someone might have to blow on his azz hole to get it to pop out further though... laugh
Two Winchester traders that I have never had any bad feedback from in my mod 70 trading are Perry county and Shumans, I did biz with Shumans many years ago, I understand it has changed hands but Mr Randy still trades a few.
I ran across this one that Perry County is offering, maybe it will give guys a baseline or idea of the market. very best Winchester folks.
Winpoor

winpoor, that is a nice solid looking rifle there, but the pad appears to be a reproduction (Galazan). It has been installed by a professional, but indeed looks to be a re-pro. In the listing it says "red Winchester pad". Sometimes that's an indication that it is not original. That's a nice rifle that's been used and taken care of. Thanks for posting this link winpoor. There are a few out there that are cheaper and many more out there that are more money than this one. Here's a pretty darned nice one, but the webbed recoil pad looks fishy on this one as well:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/WINCHESTER-70-PRE-64-338.cfm?gun_id=100504530

I for one would love to have a .338 win mag to go with my .264 win mag and 300 win mag. My late father in law was a Dr in S FL, his sister was on Wyoming Fish and Game, her husband was Atty Gen., These folks all came up the hard way being children of the depression, doc would spend 2 weeks a year hunting in WY. and I will never forget what he had to say to me about the model 70 .338 Win Mag. and I quote from a vivid memory.' Son there has never been a better big game gun made for WY hunting. With proper bullet placement it just wilts em in their tracks! I know my wife enjoyed the elk steaks but was not in love with bear meat in the least!She was not a big fan of speed goat but enjoyed the mule deer OK. Elk took no 1 spot in the tasty dept no doubt! A .338 win mag is on my bucket list as is a trip out west to put the gun to good use! very best WinPoor

A 338 was on my bucket list for the longest time as well. I was so glad to find the one I did and have no regrets. I can also attest to the fact that elk don't like them grin wink
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Someone might have to blow on his azz hole to get it to pop out further though... laugh

Didn't deflave tell you too stick too measuring groups and leave the jokes to the professionals... whistle
Sorry for upsetting you pre64 snobs
I also like the classics and Ruger m77's... But I do know a damn good using rifle when I see it. I've also yet to have any of my pre 64's let me down. The XTR you got from me will probably be the same way I'm sure. That one sure is a nice rifle. Post some pics of your daughter using it after X-mas if you can....
I just picked a Burris c4 at sportsmanship for $149 bucks I might put that on thier for her as well. Don't get me wrong love the pre64 but I cannot bring myself to spend that kind of money on one.
Oh man, why not the old Leupold you had on there? I'd think that would be the ticket. Give it a nice subdued retro look. I've used the newer Burris scopes, but didn't like the look of the new style target knobs on older rifles. They kind of look like they are more for the "tactical" crowd. The glass on the new Burris C4 is very nice though.. I have a cool 1981 Winchester sporting arms and ammunition catalog I want to send you. It goes nicely with that XTR fwt. I have your addy, so expect it to be there before X-mas.
That's one of the reasons i put that 3x9 leupold on it. I might put that Burris in my 338 wsm or a 06 I have a hankering for a 30-06 one of the newer ones.
Im shooting a Sporter Varmint in 308 that is a tack driver, this is only the second one I have seen and owned, first was so accurate I let my airline capt buddy talk me out of it! I must have traded thru 15 of them back in the day before they caught on, they were a sleeper gun and I could pick them up fpr 4,450 and 500. NO more! traded thru 3 in ,223 rem before I got a hummer! very best
As a side note I run Leupold 10 and 12 X fixed on them and have no problem whitetail hunting with them! Some are the old thick to thin, some are fine duplex and some are fine X hair with 3 dots in them. v best winpoor
I told you guys EricM would like that one wink laugh
Im shooting a Sporter Varmint in 308 that is a tack driver, this is only the second one I have seen and owned, first was so accurate I let my airline capt buddy talk me out of it! I must have traded thru 15 of them back in the day before they caught on, they were a sleeper gun and I could pick them up fpr 4,450 and 500. NO more! traded thru 3 in ,223 rem before I got a hummer! very best
As a side note I run Leupold 10 and 12 X fixed on them and have no problem whitetail hunting with them! Some are the old thick to thin, some are fine duplex and some are fine X hair with 3 dots in them. v best winpoor

I admire your dedication to Leupold rifle scopes. I've just had some bad luck with them. Kind of like you've had bad luck with the last few sets of DD rings... sick grin . Once you start having failures at the range, you get a sick feeling thinking about taking them out in the field. That's where the real testing starts...
BSA, I have had almost as good of luck with the Leupolds as I have with pre 64 Winchesters ( and post) being accurate and trouble free, I did get a screw job on an flea bay Leupold but a trip back to factory fixed problem. I do like the made in USA and so far I have had good CS. I have a fancy, high dollar Doctor scope with a problem and I know its going to be a goat frigging to get it over there and fixed!. My pet peeve is swaping scopes on guns so I must have 25-30 Leupolds, some have been mounted over 30 years. I do have just a few high dollar Euro scopes and the glass is mighty nice! but for a country boy that grew up on irons, scopes almost seem like cheating! very best WinPoor
Some guys just have all the luck. grin
Winpoor

That is a damn nice looking rifle!
Other than the recoil pad it is nice Winchester rifle in ass whooping caliber. He wants too much money for it.
Yep, that one has the Galazan pad on it. Winpoor should know better than that by now grin whistle. Although I think his intent was to show what some of these are going for. Or at least how much guys are asking for them now days. The guy that runs across one of these for $1,500.00 now is a lucky man..
I look at well cared for rifles in excellent mechanical order (little shot with no worn parts) and some cosmetic field wear. From buyers perspective honest field wear in right prices does wonders to asking prices.
Yep, as do I. Every once in a while you'll find a cherry out there.
I know EricM would love to have this one. Beretzs has one and I really like mine. It will surely be one of the last ones I let go. Here's your chance to buy a damned nice original looking rifle right here. I don't know the seller, but this one looks pretty legitimate. I wonder what his reserve price is?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454242980

I saw that one. 2200 is danged good for an Alaskan in that condition.. Mine is an excellent shooter as well. Very well balanced rifle and carries very well.
I've been wondering where you have been. How did your hunt go. Did your son take a bull with his 7x57? Scotty, we need to keep an eye out for a good 338 for EricM...
Originally Posted by Slavek
I look at well cared for rifles in excellent mechanical order (little shot with no worn parts) and some cosmetic field wear. From buyers perspective honest field wear in right prices does wonders to asking prices.

I almost pulled the trigger on this 338 but it turns out the stock was shortened 1/4" and it had a repro pad. He was asking a bit much all considered. I am still on the hunt and like you, would like a well cared for shooter with some field wear to get the price down. lol.

Cheers!
Eric
Originally Posted by EricM

I almost pulled the trigger on this 338 but it turns out the stock was shortened 1/4" and it had a repro pad. He was asking a bit much all considered. I am still on the hunt and like you, would like a well cared for shooter with some field wear to get the price down. lol.

Cheers!
Eric

Hey now, that sounds an awful lot like mine. Don't be eyeballing that one. Though shalt not covet another man's rifle... grin laugh whistle
What is the deal with the rubber pad being so far out of alignment with the black spacer? Does that rubber shrink over the years or was Winchester quality control that bad back then?
It's a Winchester reproduction (Galazan) recoil pad. Just not the same as a real original recoil pad...
Originally Posted by EricM

Cheers!
Eric

Hey now, that sounds an awful lot like mine. Don't be eyeballing that one. Though shalt not covet another man's rifle... grin laugh whistle

That's right! Just remember me when you decide to flip it! lmao! grin laugh

Eric
Flip what....What's gunner been telling you about me?? grin You don't want my rifle. I haven't killed anything with it yet. No mojo on it and it is glass bedded. That takes away from the value... whistle
You're right, no mojo on it... you better get rid of it. lol.

ERic
It's a Winchester reproduction (Galazan) recoil pad. Just not the same as a real original recoil pad...

I thought the second one posted was the one with the Galazan pad. I'm talking about the one you posted to start the thread. It says "red rubber Winchester pad". I've now noticed someone above said that probably means its not the original pad.

So assuming it's not the original pad, how much does that lower the value of the gun? Is it worth $2400 which is apparently what he wants for it.
Good question. To a collector, it is not worth that much because it has also been cut down. Once you cut the stock, you immediately lose value. That rifle is nice, but realistically only worth about $1,900.00. I'm thinking EricM felt the same after directly talking to the owner.
© 24hourcampfire