Home
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
I have a couple pre-64s I am thinking about selling. One of these is a .375 that is like new, though the original owner installed a G&H side mount, which it comes with. What would be the best place to advertise such a rifle?
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
I would think here f its allowed, I'm new here and really couldn't say. Guns America come to mind. What calibers other than the 375 do you have? I'm looking for a nice Pre 64 FWT 270.
Posted By: RGK Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Put them in the classified section and notify folks here, with a link. They'll sell if priced fairly, with good photos. Too easy. I sold a '49 '06 here in less than a day. What's the other one you have?
Bob
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Selling the .375, .270 and .30-06. Was thinking gunbroker for the .375 because it is unusual and mint.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
DMD ol buddy. Sell them on GB if you want to make more money and reach more viewers. If you want to do a buddy to buddy deal, sell them here. Advertise them in the classifieds and post a link here, if that's the case..
Posted By: reelman Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Selling the .375, .270 and .30-06. Was thinking gunbroker for the .375 because it is unusual and mint.

I don't mean to be a jerk but the side mount takes it way out of the "mint" condition. The original owner paid a lot of money to put a G&H on it but he didn't help it's value. That side mount probably knocks close to $1000 off the rifles value.

You say it's unusual, what's unusual about it?
Posted By: 99guy Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Any time you drill a hole of any kind in a "mint" gun you just kill it's collector value.

I know it sounds crazy, but put if you put them on GB with good pictures and good description and start them at $.01 for 14 days you are going to do as good as you can do. Everybody in the world can see them and all it takes is 2 guys on the whole planet that want the gun and it can bring stupid money.

I know cause it's happened to me, many times.
Originally Posted by 99guy
Any time you drill a hole of any kind in a "mint" gun you just kill it's collector value.

I know it sounds crazy, but put if you put them on GB with good pictures and good description and start them at $.01 for 14 days you are going to do as good as you can do. Everybody in the world can see them and all it takes is 2 guys on the whole planet that want the gun and it can bring stupid money.

BTDT as well, only I was the seller. Stupid is as stupid does and once egos start getting butt hurt, the one with the biggest wallet wins. I'm sure they wake up with a throbbing headache in the morning too... whistle
Posted By: 99guy Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 99guy

BTDT as well, only I was the seller. Stupid is as stupid does and once egos start getting butt hurt, the one with the biggest wallet wins. I'm sure they wake up with a throbbing headache in the morning too... whistle

Just to clarify, I was the seller too... wink

Although on one occasion I fell into the trap as a buyer. Taught me a valuable lesson that I have cashed in on as a seller, many, many times. Humans are very interesting creatures of habit.
Yes, I agree 100 percent.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
gunbroker all the way!
Posted By: pre6422hornet Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Originally Posted by Fotis
gunbroker all the way!

Yup. I have sold a fair share of M70's, and many other firearms on there and I can honestly say I have NEVER lost money on any of them.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/17/15
Only a 10-day auction on GB--two weeks is too much time to rethink and back out of the bidding.
Sometimes it's about making more money and sometimes it's about making someone more happy. I'll give you an example, but not be too specific here. Recently I listed one of my old rifles on GB and a friend here saw it was listed there. I had a starting price of $1,700.00 and after the first day, I had 12 guys watching it. After three days I had 21 people "watching" it. I stopped the auction early to sell to a guy here and he's loving the rifle. I also sold it for way less than the starting price listed above. As a seller, you have the option to go either way.

I'll also add that I've bought a rifle from desertmuledeer and he is one of the good guys here. He's a man of his word and actually held a rifle for me until I could scrape up enough money to pay for it. He's very good about describing his rifles and will let you know of anything out of the ordinary with anything he sells, if he sees it or is aware of it. The rifle I bought from him was a fairly new FN model 70 Extreme Weather that had sloppy bedding from the factory. He let me know about that and I reassured him I could take care of the problem wink . He's a stand up guy as far as I'm concerned...
Posted By: 99guy Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Only a 10-day auction on GB--two weeks is too much time to rethink and back out of the bidding.

The longer it's up the more people are going to see it.

The guys that really want it don't start checking in until about 2 hours before the auction ends anyhow.

I always set mine up to end Sunday evening, so everybody has time to drink a few beers, tuck the kids in, pop some corn and sit down and watch the action. It can be very entertaining.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/18/15
Originally Posted by reelman
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

I don't mean to be a jerk but the side mount takes it way out of the "mint" condition. The original owner paid a lot of money to put a G&H on it but he didn't help it's value. That side mount probably knocks close to $1000 off the rifles value.

You say it's unusual, what's unusual about it?

I would say it is highly unusual to find a like new pre 64 .375 that has been fired less than 10 times, but is a shooter because of a side mount. Strangely, I kind of like the side mount on this one. It seems like a really sturdy, repeatable quick detach system.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/18/15
DMD, have you sold on GB before? If you list it there it will more than likely sell for what you have into it or maybe a bit more. Set a starting bid amount you are comfortable with and see how it goes..
Posted By: EricM Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/18/15
Sometimes it's about making more money and sometimes it's about making someone more happy. I'll give you an example, but not be too specific here. Recently I listed one of my old rifles on GB and a friend here saw it was listed there. I had a starting price of $1,700.00 and after the first day, I had 12 guys watching it. After three days I had 21 people "watching" it. I stopped the auction early to sell to a guy here and he's loving the rifle. I also sold it for way less than the starting price listed above. As a seller, you have the option to go either way.
Class act right there! cool
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/18/15
What is your 270? Std, FWT, SG. Please PM me with the specifics.
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/20/15
Thank you for the advice guys. So far, I have listed and sold the .270 here and have listed .257 here. The .375 is on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464163093

Here are some pictures:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/20/15
That sure is a beautiful rifle my friend...
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/20/15
Damn that 375H&H is mint!
Posted By: Slavek Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/20/15
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Damn that 375H&H is mint!

Yeh man, with that qd Griffin & Howe mount it is as American as strawberry rhubarb pie with couple scoops of Ben & Jerry's on top.
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/20/15
Jeeze what a good looking 375! I have never been a G&H lover but I think if I had that one in hand it would 'GROW' on me in a hurry!I have no idea but old timers have told me many years ago that the G&H was super popular in its day and was not cheap by any means! Very best on a nice rifle, Im following this one close as I have one coming in next week that is a SG 375 H&H, I doubt I will ever get to use the gun so will more than likely sell it here. I seem to not be able to stop buying these pre 64's enough to go to Canada or AK to hunt! This pre 64 deal can be almost as bad as whiskey or dope, damn sure up there with the pretty woman thing! WinPoor
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/20/15
Winpoor, Ihave the addiction too, which is why my safe needs cleaning! I have never messed with a G&H mount before this one, but believe it or not, it is a really nice quick detach system for a hunting rifl, even with the options we have today.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/21/15
That is one of few American made mounts worth owning. It slides off once levers are released. Sadly most Americans do not understand scope mounts at all and what should add value to a rifle reduces that value. Nice rifle. Too bad it's .375 Magnum had two in the past never again. Too much gun for me. Good luck with the sale.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/21/15
I have 1 or I'd be looking at buying this one. Anyone that has not shot a pre 64 model 70 375 H&H owes it to themselves to do so. They are actually very sweet shooting rifles and the recoil is not as bad as one would think..
Posted By: Gusb Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/21/15
I'm thinking of selling my shooter 30-06. How does GB work? Do you go through a local dealer who in turn ships to another dealer? And can't that all be a real mess if someone gets unhappy? Seems like eBay with even more complications? Would love to have a .375 H&H - how many extra holes are there if you pull that stuff - 3?
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/22/15
Buyers are often leery of new sellers. When selling on GB, it's just like here. Post a lot of pictures and be ready to answer questions. Be as specific and honest as you can be about the condition of the firearm you are selling. It's better to say it's in good condition, rather than excellent "like new" unless it really truly is. Be warned, it better damned well be if you are describing it as such. You'll find people are much happier if the item they get is better than it was described in the auction than worse. Keep buyers happy and they will give you good A+ feedback and it will get easier to sell things on GB, because people will see you are trust worthy according to previous transactions..
Posted By: Razz Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Gusb
I'm thinking of selling my shooter 30-06. How does GB work? Do you go through a local dealer who in turn ships to another dealer? And can't that all be a real mess if someone gets unhappy? Seems like eBay with even more complications? Would love to have a .375 H&H - how many extra holes are there if you pull that stuff - 3?

Hey, no fair teasing us! Please tell us more and pic's if you can. ;-)
Posted By: SNAP Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Slavek
That is one of few American made mounts worth owning. It slides off once levers are released. Sadly most Americans do not understand scope mounts at all and what should add value to a rifle reduces that value. Nice rifle. Too bad it's .375 Magnum had two in the past never again. Too much gun for me. Good luck with the sale.

Nonsense, I have and do own scores of ...American mounts... and have had them on 43 different P-64-70s, ioncluding fourof these .375s, five .338WM Alaskans and four .300 H&H rifles. I currently have a very nice original .375 and minty .300 plus a shorty custom .375 and the mounts, Talley QDs and Leupy QRWs, work VERY well and are both lighter and cheaper than most Euro. types.

The G&H is not one I care for, after owning a P-64 SG with one and they are seldom seen here in BC now; the Talleys are SO much better in all respects.

I find the .375s easy to shoot well, but, they are too heavy for general use in the mountains and I much prefer the .338 Alaskans, among the finest serious factory hunting rifles ever produced, IMO.

Americans produce the best mounts and many of the best rifles anywhere, most Euro. stuff is mediocre and costs far more than it's performance warrants.
Posted By: Gusb Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/22/15
Originally Posted by Razz

Hey, no fair teasing us! Please tell us more and pic's if you can. ;-)

Bunch of pictures/history in the thread at:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Winchester_70_any_pre64_exp#Post9061490
Posted By: Slavek Re: Selling pre-64s - 01/23/15
I have 1 or I'd be looking at buying this one. Anyone that has not shot a pre 64 model 70 375 H&H owes it to themselves to do so. They are actually very sweet shooting rifles and the recoil is not as bad as one would think..

I would have no problem saying no to .375 Hoffman Arms on Mauser Oberndorf action so saying no to Model 70 is "lovingly warm breeze to the face". Having had two rifles chambered for this caliber I'm not going to "ring bell at that door again".
© 24hourcampfire