Home
Not my auction

Link to the Ultimate Model 70 257 Roberts

[Linked Image]
$8500 actually seems like a pretty good deal for this rifle.
I have been advised by some very good folks to stay away from this guy, I not in biz of running someone down on internet or elsewhere unless Ive been stuck by them BUT I can tell you the guy warning me is a very big Winchester man and it was first time a warning had been voiced so strong by him. very best WinPoor
IIRC the is a lot of talk over on the Winchester Collectors websire. VB WP
WP, old dudes know schit.. caveat emptor. Wishin' I'd bought the engraved fleur de lis Bob I could have about 5-6 years ago. Thought $2500 was rich.. smile Dummy me..
Fairly priced IF it's a straight gun. I've been watching this seller for some time and EVERY gun he sells seems to be a rare, high condition piece....

My due diligence on him would consist of him providing the name of the collector who owned the gun along with provenance proving the seller acquired them. The collector would be known in Winchester inner circles and it would be easy to verify the authenticity of the gun. An inspection period is mandatory to say the least. If the seller refused, or didn't have, the info I'd walk..

While I am highly skeptical when dealing with rare guns they do exist. If a gun has all factory parts that fit right who's to say it's a bad one?
I would be much more comfortable buying one of this dealers 70's as opposed to one of those 'rare' Fwts. that were a topic of discussion on this Forum a few weeks back, but, then again, one must trust their own instincts....
I'm to old to spend $8500 on a gun I can't shoot. If that's a legit gun it would be a shame and costly to shoot it. I have a couple of nice Roberts that I can enjoy using.
No reason that gun can't be hunted (albeit, very carefully), it's already been fired....
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
I have been advised by some very good folks to stay away from this guy, I not in biz of running someone down on internet or elsewhere unless Ive been stuck by them BUT I can tell you the guy warning me is a very big Winchester man and it was first time a warning had been voiced so strong by him. very best WinPoor

What's the concern? A fake?
My mistake. Thought that was a different auction. Not GB.
I'm just glad the most esoteric chamberings that would interest me are, after .30-06 and .270, are the two H&H's. Although I wouldn't pass up a nice Alaskan. And my interest in configuration is Standards and Featherweights.

The truly expensive stuff does not interest me a lot, and it scares me a lot to boot.
Hope nobody minds a slightly off topic question.

Looking at the pictures I see a sort of across-the-back-of-the-bolt safety. Was that standard? At what point?

I ask because at one time I had a very early (SN = 6xx ... right, 3 digits) model 70 .375 which had the safety in the "normal" (today) position. I had a later, but sub 100,000 SN '06 which had the safety like the one in the picture. I don't own either anymore so it's not a big deal, but I'm curious if my .375 was original or if it'd been updated to the later safety at some point.

Thanks!

I guess to stay on topic, the 3rd M70 was a .257 Roberts ... but there was nothing "featherweight" about it, it was a heavy SOB.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Hope nobody minds a slightly off topic question.

Looking at the pictures I see a sort of across-the-back-of-the-bolt safety. Was that standard? At what point?

Tom

Pre War safety. From 1937 till WW II or thereabouts.

Your 375 was retro fitted with the standard post war safety with which we are all familiar.
Thanks! I appreciate the info. Makes things a little clearer. I sure wish I still had some of those old rifles my father made me sell. sick
Tom no problem.

We always regret selling rifles.
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Tom no problem.

We always regret selling rifles.

Ain't that the truth. There's a 7MM SG that still haunts me.
He's got four others for sale - quite the eye popping heart thumping group this time.
I don't care if she's a harlot, I'm in love !
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

What's the concern? A fake?

Gun looks good, Something happened a while back with some folks over on the Winchester Collector Forum. I want to say this is this fellows 3 rd GB acct or Name. as far as pix his guns look good to me. v best WinPoor
Yes I would say a fake is the concern, but I do not know the person nor am I discrediting.

Just look at this gunbroker add. Seller at least admits that the barrel is a Kreiger and is roll stamped to match the original. It is scary.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=473534200

Yes they can be faked. Greed can be the root of all evil.
He really needs to post up a few more pictures...
Started at $7,997.00

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bushmaster1313

He wants too much money. For about same amount one can get very nice original African-type pre WWII Mauser from Oberndorf on Nectar. Far finer rifle imo.

The cardboard box looks too new to match vintage of that gun.
I've got to agree with pre6422hornet on that .243 he linked to. That rollmark/bbl. engraving is scary. Also, that bbl. sure looks a lot longer than the stated 20".
John
This seller has had some very questionable items before. Most of the questions have involved the boxes and labels that were included with the items. Some labels were from different eras than the guns that went with them. Several members of the WACA group contacted him and, as I recall, he engaged in a few discussions on the WACA forum. He changed his Gunbroker id at some point, too. I don't think I'd buy anything from him but he does have very good Gunbroker feedback. He is a gun flipper/dealer who hits many of the big shows and then lists items on line.
I would have rather had this one. Esp for a scope.

https://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1110224231
Oh boy. More memories of a real Bob I let get away a few years back.
That was a nice one no doubt. I paid $2000 or 2500 for my std 257 I just don't see the extra money for a Super Grade.
Originally Posted by Levers
This seller has had some very questionable items before. Most of the questions have involved the boxes and labels that were included with the items. Some labels were from different eras than the guns that went with them. Several members of the WACA group contacted him and, as I recall, he engaged in a few discussions on the WACA forum. He changed his Gunbroker id at some point, too. I don't think I'd buy anything from him but he does have very good Gunbroker feedback. He is a gun flipper/dealer who hits many of the big shows and then lists items on line.

One and the same, I guess this is the first gun for sell or seller Ive ever had anything to comment on, if a guy will lie about the box he will sure as hell lie about the gun, I just try and keep quite on Winchesters, the gun or seller BUT, lotta good folks here and I hate to to see the uneducated( Winchester ,pre 64 70) guy learn a costly, unnecessary lesson!!!! Its like an old WWII pilot told me when I started flying, " son each and every one of us start out the same, no one is born flying, we all have to learn, That old man was a big help to me,I listened to every word he said when it came to flying, he more than likely kept me from killing my self thru stupid mistakes, Flying is a lot less forgiving than collecting Winchesters!!!! All Im going to say with this cat is buyer beware!!!! very best WinPoor
Good advice Winpoor. To put it another way: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots.
Originally Posted by RAS

That is a nice one judging by internet photos... Best we can do , thats why I want a 3 day non shoot 'look see 'in the SW GA sun!
very best WinPoor
No sun here today WP just 2 inches of fresh snow! I'm sure we all benefit by the sharing of knowledge being it a seller with a dubious record or that proof mark to look for.
© 24hourcampfire