Home
I recently picked up this pre 64 M70 in 270. Born early Aug 1963.
[Linked Image]

Metal is in good shape, some sign of wear but not all that bad. Stock has a few minor dings and one small spot where someone attempted to recover a ding. Nothing horrendous at all.

So my question comes to the stock, here are a few shots. I know the checkering pattern was a bit smaller on late models. I certainly see a difference from my Alaskan and it looks like what I can see in Rule's book.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here is a profile looking down
[Linked Image]

this is the one that got me, when I pulled the butt plate....
[Linked Image]

So, do you think it was restocked or did Winchester quit drilling out FWT stocks at the end? I don't have a basis for comparison so I figured I'd reach out to you experts. I am not real worried either way, but certainly curious.
Thanks!
Certainly no expert here, but seems THAT close to end of regular production on them, anything may be possible. Definitely looks right otherwise from what the pictures indicate.
John
The last pre 64 was Oct 63. They got pretty erratic. That stock was probably a reject put into service at the end.
Thanks gents, sort of what I figured. The proof marks are as noted in the book too. If anyone has other ideas on the stock I'm all ears.
© 24hourcampfire