Home
Posted By: RAS What is a 99% M70 FWT worth? - 04/12/15
All:

All original. Aluminum plate. With Weaver scope. 308. I passed at $1200. How many of you would have taken it? I have to admit, it was hard to pass on a gun with that condition.

RAS
Would've come home with me....
Were the rifle truely as described, $1200. would be top dollar and I probably would have passed too. I always base my estimation of value on the rifle ONLY, I never consider the scope. If the seller chooses to include the scope then that's their choice.
If it was truelly 99% $1200 is a pretty good price. Like gunwizard said I don't consider the scope in the value unless it's a newer scope and then it would be at a greatly reduced price. Unless someone put an original USMC Unertal on their M70!
1% less than a 100%...
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

All original. Aluminum plate. With Weaver scope. 308. I passed at $1200. How many of you would have taken it? I have to admit, it was hard to pass on a gun with that condition.

RAS

You can only afford to be stupid so many times.
I would have passed.

Not due to the $$$, but I can't warm up to buying a short action round housed in a long action rifle.

Now if it were .270 or .30-06.....that would have had me reaching for the folding money.
Truly high 90's% aluminum buttplate Fwt's bring $1200.00 easily; 270's $1,400.00.

The same condition in a later composite buttplate would bring $1,000.00
Originally Posted by RAS
All:

RAS
c'mon Jeff.....
Posted By: Augie Re: What is a 99% M70 FWT worth? - 04/12/15
I paid 1200.00 for this one last year with the scope, I had an offer last week for 1700.00 that I declined.
[Linked Image]
Nice rifle. Looks to be a very early ('52-'53) 308 fwt. Probably one of the first fwt's out the door. You did well at $1,200.00.. Very well..
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I would have passed.

Not due to the $$$, but I can't warm up to buying a short action round housed in a long action rifle.

Now if it were .270 or .30-06.....that would have had me reaching for the folding money.

I can kind of relate. I tried a 308 fwt for a while. Just couldn't warm up to it at all. I sold mine for $1,200.00 with no scope and it wasn't a "99%" condition rifle either wink. To me, the 30-06 makes so much more sense, but I know some guys love their short cartridges for some reason.. Speaking of that, I have a buddy that shoots a '53 308 fwt and that's the only rifle he uses anymore. He's like me and grew up with the good ol 30-06, but he likes the 308 win better now. I'll be getting together with him later today to discuss re-stocking his rifle in a Mcmillan hunters compact edge. There again, it's all about personal preference: He wants the edge fill, but I think the balance with the standard fill is much better on these fwt's. Go figure... smile
Posted By: Augie Re: What is a 99% M70 FWT worth? - 04/12/15
BSA, it is an early one, 1953. I've got a thing for .308 especially when it shoots like this one does, 100 yard 3 shot group.
[Linked Image]
Excellent buddy. I stopped shooting 3 shot groups with my 270 and 30-06 fwt. Look very similar to yours. When they shoot like that, I like to throw another 2 bullets on target, because that shows more about what the shooter can do vs. what the rifle does.
Augies looks like a nice early one with the "solid" bolt knob from what I can see. Great find. Found a nice 56 243 featherweight this weekend. Great shape and all original hardware for $1200. I have been looking for a long time for a nice 243. Hope it shoots as well as everyones above.
Mr. robertacabin, the 243's always seem to be tack drivers. Good luck with your new rifle. Sounds like you did extremely well on that deal. The best I've been able to find around here is $1,500.00 for a good 243... A 243 fwt should be an extremely useful tool to add to the collection.
Posted By: 79S Re: What is a 99% M70 FWT worth? - 04/12/15
Cabelas in Denver had one in a 243 and that thing saw better days the metal was decent but the stock needed a lot of attention that's for sure I think they wanted $950 for it.
Mr RAS you have a PM, very best WinPoor
I'd of grabbed it in a heartbeat for $1200 and I already have one!

When I ran a Gun Library we figured the scope would add 25% of it's value to the package being traded in. If a gun had a $400 Leupold on it then I would add $100 to the gun. We would pull the scope off the gun and sell it separately.
Posted By: RAS Re: What is a 99% M70 FWT worth? - 04/12/15
All:

It came home with me today. smile

I will post pictures soon.

This one has nice wood. I mean real nice. 1954

RAS

If its as stated, $1200 is a steal.
RAS, you did the right thing. That was an investment. You can always make money on that one... Good job!!
Posted By: Augie Re: What is a 99% M70 FWT worth? - 04/13/15
RAS. Congrats, looking forward to the pics.
The 270 Fwt is my favorite, but I'm also very fond of my 308....
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
RAS, you did the right thing. That was an investment. You can always make money on that one... Good job!!

quick money, that one will be otw to GA ! v best WinPoor
© 24hourcampfire