Home
Posted By: Northman 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
I have found a Win 70 Featherweight in 30-06.

It has a small red recoil pad. No open sights. Black "dot" on right side of stock? (Indicates internal recoil pin??)

Knurled bolt.

Owner says the serial # indicates 1969. But it has a claw extractor??

I thought the claw extracotor dissaperd,in 64?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Photos, someone is confused, a pre 64 is a pre 64 by the same token this 69' if that is what it is may be a great shooter. It will not have the Mauser type extractor, the black dot cover a thru stock rivet to help with stock cracking. I know this may not be much help. In 1969 I would still much rather have the Winchester over the others. A lot is just brand loyalty ,the Ford vs Chevy thing or to me the Cadillac vs Dodge thing.
Theat's a FWT Classic. Not made in '69. Production was started in the '90's.
Yep, No photos when I answered him, nice one. V B winpoor
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Yep, No photos when I answered him, nice one. V B winpoor

A picture is always worth a 1,000 words isn't it buddy.. grin
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
I would change the scope bases & rings to lower the scope. A great hunting rifle.
So, the Winchesteer serial numbers could be mistaken for a 69 model.

Looks like it has seen very little use. Selling for $380
You are selling it for $380 ? I will do that. v best winpoor
No no.. the seller is selling for $380.
Posted By: Slavek Re: 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
That is very good price for a nice rifle. The black dot covers the x-bolt. All is needed is quality modern scope mounted lower on the receiver or for night shooting off high seat one could mount x56 scope in 30mm rings. That is what wee do on moon lit night against garden raiding, truffle, or oak nut eating wild boars.
Originally Posted by Northman
No no.. the seller is selling for $380.

I'd be on that one quicker than you could say SOLD!!!!!!! Holy chit.. whistle
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
You are selling it for $380 ? I will do that. v best winpoor

laugh
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
1/2 price...they have a 2 for 1 sale going on?

Winchester didn't make a FW in 1969.
Posted By: john843 Re: 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
Probably what happened is the owner ran a G prefix SN without the G or some such. One of my BILs was convinced his push-feed '79 was a pre-64 because "the serial numbers don't lie". When he described it to me over the phone, I made a bet with him- but I didn't hold him to it.

John
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
Those were made 1992-2006. $600-$700 is not out of line as to value.
The good ones were made 1992-2002. Those last few years with the 7 digit serial number, one piece bottom metal, white extractors and recessed crown were for the most part, sub par, to be nice. The OP's gun is a pre '03 and $700+ is never out of the question for a good 5 or 6 digit Classic.
Originally Posted by winchester70
The good ones were made 1992-2002. Those last few years with the 7 digit serial number, one piece bottom metal, white extractors and recessed crown were for the most part, sub par, to be nice. The OP's gun is a pre '03 and $700+ is never out of the question for a good 5 or 6 digit Classic.

+1. Totally agree. I am holding on to my 6 digit classic 30-06 because it has none of the problems that I hear about. It's freakishly accurate and utterly reliable. I recently sold another good one with a 5 digit serial #. That one was also a great rifle, but chambered in 7mm rem mag. The FWT in question looks like an early 90's classic fwt and well worth the money the OP said the seller wants. Hell, it's worth twice that like BobinNH said.
Posted By: 79S Re: 1969 Win 70 Featherweight? - 05/25/15
I have two 5 digits on is 33xxx the other 63xxx and two 6 digits and 3, 7digits. One the 7 digits had a bad barrel from the factory. The other two are good shooters.
Just the sort of model 70 I have been keeping an eye out for, wish it was my side of the border!
$380.00 lord is it hot? No really I would snatch that up in a heart beat.
A good friend of mine picked up a Ruger Tang Safe 77V in 308 at a gunshow in Atlanta one time at what we thought was a steal ! Guess what that POS would not group in 6", no Douglas barrel on that one! $1100 later, Schneider barrel and ROBAR magic, it is one of my very most accurate long guns. $1400 is a lot to have in a Ruger 77V ! LOL This was my first and knock on wood last 'problem gun'. It was so bad I would not sell it 'as is', thus the fix! This may be a great gun, thats why I love to work with every gun I buy and own. Its nice to tell a fellow what a gun will do! very best WinPoor
© 24hourcampfire