Home
Posted By: 222ND M92 stock markings - 06/28/15
I have a 92 that was made in 1923. It has a 27 stamped on the side of the but stock and forearm. It also has fpl stamped on the bottom side of the forearm. Can anyone tell me why they marked the stocks like this? Thanks
Posted By: yooper35 Re: M92 stock markings - 06/28/15
As the saying states, a picture is worth a thousand words. Likely non-factory, but they could have some history.
yooper
Posted By: tmitch Re: M92 stock markings - 06/29/15
I've seen some '92s that were used by prisons and police departments that had stock stampings. As yooper said it may have some history but finding out what the "FPL" stands for would be the key.
Posted By: stuvwxyz Re: M92 stock markings - 06/29/15
I doubt it was a government issue piece as the one I have seen all had the agency's name stamped also. I have had similar markings on guns over the decades. I ASSUMED it was a company gun of some kind. I once saw a 92 in 32-20 that belonged to a ranch in Arizona. Many cow hands had scratched their names into the wood.
Posted By: yooper35 Re: M92 stock markings - 06/30/15
222ND sent me pics of the markings to post. Here they are:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They definitely appear to be inventory numbers of some entity "FPL", but whether FPL would be a private company or some governmental unit is beyond me. Any ideas or guesses anybody?
yooper
Posted By: 222ND Re: M92 stock markings - 07/09/15
Tttt
Posted By: Poconojack Re: M92 stock markings - 07/10/15
Not sure if it's the case with this gun, but FPL is an acronym for Forest Products Laboratory (USDA Forest Services). I'd post the question and pics on the Winchester Arms Collectors Association site for a more definitive answer....
Posted By: tmitch Re: M92 stock markings - 07/10/15
That's the only thing that came up for me too. Don't know why the Forest Products Laboratory needed arms, but I don't know their duties were at that time either. Appears to be a rifle rather than a carbine?
Posted By: Jericho Re: M92 stock markings - 07/10/15
Several years ago I handled a Winchester 92 in 25-20 that was stamped property of a San Antonio, TX bank or jail I dont remember which one though.
Posted By: msj348 Re: M92 stock markings - 07/11/15
FPL could be Florida Power & Light.
Posted By: Brazos Re: M92 stock markings - 07/11/15
Lots of 92's used in western movies, might be studio numbers?
Posted By: 222ND Re: M92 stock markings - 07/14/15
It is a rifle not a carbine. Folsom prison l----. Wouldn't that be something.
© 24hourcampfire