Home
Posted By: gunner500 Featherweight Quandary - 07/09/15
Bought a pre-64 FW in 270 Winchester yesterday at what I consider a steal.

It came with a Lyman receiver sight already mounted, the fold down rear sight is in place, all metal is in very good shape and complete, no extra holes, no pitting and the bore is pristine.

It also came with a 2.5-8 B&L scope in a set of Beuhler rings with a base that has a couple knurled wheels for adjusting scope height I suppose.

The stock has some really nice figure in it and is uncut, LOP is about 13.5" down to a plastic butt plate, swivels are complete and in good condition.

The little rifle needs a front sight hood and was covered very heavily with what I suspect is a polyurethane finish on the stock, it's being stripped off as I type so it will need a correct refinish on the wood.

Question is, would you men hunt this rifle with the receiver peep sight and say some 160 gr Partitions, or install the scope and run the 150 gr Partitions for a bit more range, I kinda like the idea of trying the receiver sight.

Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/09/15
I'm with ya on the receiver peeps and heavies, adds some extra style points IMO pard. wink
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/09/15
Thanks Woody, I have a pre-64 standard rifle in 270 with a nice little 2.5-8 Leupold in a set of dual dovetail bases and rings, it fires the earlier mentioned load with 150 Partitions, it's a very nice killer in it's own right.

Leaning very hard towards leaving this FW as is and getting some 160's for load development, shooting out to 200 should be easily attainable with a good set of sticks.

Now I have to find someone that knows how to put a proper finish back on the stock. grin
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/09/15
I would switch the two rifles around for your intended uses.

The standard rifle with open sights of some sort.
The featherweight with a scope.
Thanks for your opinion DD, my thinking is the little short barreled FW would make a nice light tight stand and thicket walking hunting rifle.

My standard rifle is in a very nice stick of English [original stock was run over with a pickup] and is so accurate I fear messing with it. lol
Posted By: VernAK Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/09/15
Sell me the Lyman Receiver sight.
LOL, but it looks so dang good on that FW Vern. grin
Gunner, sounds like you got a good one. I know you are a great shot with the peep sights like the one on the model 71 I sold to you. I'd use the peeps if my eyes were good enough. Should make a very nice light fast handling rifle my friend. I was shooting my 270 fwt the other day in an hunting rifle shoot where we were using factory irons. I kept them all in the black (6 inch bull), but did not score real high. Good enough to put meat in the freezer, jut not the kind of groups I'm used to... Good luck with your new rifle, I'm sure you will really end up liking it. I know I love my 270 fwt. Probably one of the last rifles I'll get rid of...
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
Many Thanks BSA, hope the rifle likes the 160 Partitions and a nice dose of H-4831, may have a classic combo load in the making.

The rifle feels very nimble and handy, may explain some of the fondness for these rifles I've read over the last few days researching them on the web, and I thought everyone hated the 270. shocked grin

Think I'll keep this one too.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
Use the peep sights and go forth and kill game with it Gunner.

You can always add a scope later or sell me the Featherweight. wink
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
Hard to beat a 270 Fwt....
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Use the peep sights and go forth and kill game with it Gunner.

You can always add a scope later or sell me the Featherweight. wink

You bet Elk, got 4 boxes of 160's on the way and better than half an 8 lb jug of H-4831, aught to be able to make her gin with that.

If I ever decide to sell her, you'll get first crack. wink
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Hard to beat a 270 Fwt....

Hope to find that out very soon PoconoJack. smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
Shoot the receiver sights!
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
Just try and sell it to me when I have money. grin
Originally Posted by gunner500
Many Thanks BSA, hope the rifle likes the 160 Partitions and a nice dose of H-4831, may have a classic combo load in the making.

The rifle feels very nimble and handy, may explain some of the fondness for these rifles I've read over the last few days researching them on the web, and I thought everyone hated the 270. shocked grin

I used to hate the 270 until BobinNH and Raybass talked me into getting one!!!!! Damn enablers...
Originally Posted by ingwe
Shoot the receiver sights!

"THE GRAND POOHBAH" HAS SPOKEN..........................so shall it be. grin

Keep me posted on ' crop harvest times' laugh
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I used to hate the 270 until BobinNH and Raybass talked me into getting one!!!!! Damn enablers...

YUP! this sight along with AR has caused me to buy 3 double rifles, 2 Sharps and host of other weaponry I never knew I needed. shocked laugh
Posted By: EricM Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
I'd use a scope but you definitely would earn style points rockin' the Lyman! cool

Eric
Soundin' good Eric, smile picking at fight with an old buck with a set of rattling horns then busting him in the chest at 30 yards aught to make a nice beginning chapter of history with this old rifle.
Posted By: EricM Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
Heck yeah it would!! smile

Eric
wink
Posted By: battue Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/10/15
A model 70 FWT with a good peep is a sweet handling rifle that should work way past 30.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/11/15
[quote=bsa1917hunter][quote=gunner500]YUP! this sight along with AR has caused me to buy 3 double rifles, 2 Sharps and host of other weaponry I never knew I needed. shocked laugh

I have been bitten by the double rifle bug as well. I'm drooling over an Isac Hollis .500 BPE with external hammers and a Jones under lever. I have a Stephan Grant to pay for first however.

My 270 FWT is a favorite and one of the guns that I would be hard pressed to ever sell.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/11/15
Id hunt with the receiver sight and if you don't like it put on a scope.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/11/15
Nice catch, gunner. Play with it a while the way it is and see how you feel about it then.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/11/15

Keep me posted on ' crop harvest times' laugh
grin
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/12/15
Originally Posted by battue
A model 70 FWT with a good peep is a sweet handling rifle that should work way past 30.

Of course, but most of my rattle kills have been from around 8 to 40 yards, my favorite way to hunt WT deer. smile
Originally Posted by GSPfan
[quote=bsa1917hunter][quote=gunner500]YUP! this sight along with AR has caused me to buy 3 double rifles, 2 Sharps and host of other weaponry I never knew I needed. shocked laugh

I have been bitten by the double rifle bug as well. I'm drooling over an Isac Hollis .500 BPE with external hammers and a Jones under lever. I have a Stephan Grant to pay for first however.

My 270 FWT is a favorite and one of the guns that I would be hard pressed to ever sell.

Doubles are indeed a disease GSP, with no known "economical" cure. shocked grin

Sounds like you have some very nice doubles there.
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Id hunt with the receiver sight and if you don't like it put on a scope.

Exactly Ben.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Nice catch, gunner. Play with it a while the way it is and see how you feel about it then.

Sho nuff LD, I have found one saving grace to that godawful polyurethane finish, the checkering is in pristine condition, it has been well protected for years, it had so much poly on it the checkering was filled smooth, to say the rifle was well sealed is an understatement.
laugh
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/12/15
I bought my first pre'64 M/70 in the early 1970's and have since owned many in a variety of calibers. While I have shot them with Lyman 48 receiver sights and would not hesitate to hunt with the receiver sights, all of the game I have taken with M/70 rifles has been with scope sighted ones.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/12/15
Does the receiver sight setup use the original front sight on the rifle?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/13/15
GW,
Think I'll enjoy receiver sight hunting on this rifle, I use them on Sharps and Lever rifles too, I believe they make scope shooting easier and will continue to use them as long as I can see well enough to place hard quick killing hits on game animals.

I'm 52 years old and just a couple three years ago had 20/15 vision, holdin' steady at 20/20 today, hopefully I'll have a few more years of iron sight rifle hunting left to do. smile
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/13/15
[quote=keystoneben]Does the receiver sight setup use the original front sight on the rifle?

I believe so Ben, there is a little silver beaded front sight on this rifle, it doesn't look bubba'd in any way, I do need to find an original front sight hood though. cry
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/13/15
I'd make sure that the aperture works for me....
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/15/15
Will be on that very operation like white on rice. wink
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/15/15

Sho nuff LD, I have found one saving grace to that godawful polyurethane finish, the checkering is in pristine condition, it has been well protected for years, it had so much poly on it the checkering was filled smooth, to say the rifle was well sealed is an understatement.

gunner, I hate polyurethane anything on any gun. Yeah, maybe it's good on a picnic table, park bench, or pool deck. But, it sucks on a gun.

My experience with the stuff is: you can't get it off fast enough when you need to on the schit you don't want it on, and it doesn't protect as well as you were told it would on the schit you wanted it to protect!

Best part of it all, you still got a good gun to play with.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/15/15
gunner, oh BTW,
You're gonna get beat up so much about the .270 FWT. You probably don't want that and should sell it to me.

I'll keep it private you ever owned one. They really do suck, ya know. Everybody knows.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/16/15

I'll keep it private you ever owned one. They really do suck, ya know. Everybody knows.

Both my 270 FWT's suck.....the life out of everything I shoot with them:)
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/16/15
gunner, oh BTW,
You're gonna get beat up so much about the .270 FWT. You probably don't want that and should sell it to me.

Hold on here now! laugh
Posted By: battue Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/16/15
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Does the receiver sight setup use the original front sight on the rifle?

Ben,

It may or may not. Went the Lyman route on a pre 64 70 and had to go with a different front. With the Lyman at its lowest the rifle still shot 6 inches low
at 100.

Needed s lower front than the original.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/16/15
? 6" low at 100. Did you mean 6" high? If it were that low with the rear sight all the way down, one would only need to raise it up, no?

Posted By: battue Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/16/15
Correct. I got it backwards.

I was 6 inches high and had lowered the rear down as far as it would go.

Rear goes in the direction you want the bullet to go. Front goes the opposite.

Ordered a "higher" front sight and it was still three inches high.

This was from the bench. Funny thing was when I shot it sitting, resting on a post or off a rolled up sleeping bag it was pretty much dead on.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/18/15
gunner, oh BTW,

LOL and agreed on the poly, I believe Elk will kill us both if I dont give him first shot at the rifle. shocked

I'm used to walking around with my hat in my hand and head hung low, barely even able to look up, the 270 fits me to a tee, I'm used to it. grin
gunner, oh BTW,

Hold on here now! laugh

Oh hell, Elks watching. eek lol

Same here GSP, those little 150 partitions are some hard quick killers at around 2900, think I've nearly seen bucks wince in pain when catching one. lol
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/18/15
gunner, oh BTW,

Hold on here now! laugh

Oh hell, Elks watching. eek lol
wink
laugh, I knew not to try and sneak one by.
Incidentally, the stock is on it's way for proper [Winchester] finishing, should be back in about a month or two.

This was from the bench. Funny thing was when I shot it sitting, resting on a post or off a rolled up sleeping bag it was pretty much dead on.

Interesting Battue, I raised the rear sight on my rifle while looking through the peep at the front bead, the notch on the now raised rear sight fell right under to cradle the bead perfectly, kinda fooks with your eye focusing/refocusing on that much potential alignmentgrin, but all looked good, I'll surely see at the bench in a couple months. smile
Incidentally, the stock is on it's way for proper [Winchester] finishing, should be back in about a month or two.

Gunner, who do U use for stocks, my gunsmith does good work but they stay loaded up with work! I would do it all myself BUT freshening the checkering up is out of my skill set... thanks and very best winpoor
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/18/15

Notice I have been ominously quiet about this whole .270 excitation.......

As you hear the squeak of the closet door opening...... whistle
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/18/15

Yup.

We is proud of you. whistle grin
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/18/15

As you hear the squeak of the closet door opening...... whistle

Phuggin' funny schit, BSA. smile
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/19/15
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Gunner, who do U use for stocks, my gunsmith does good work but they stay loaded up with work! I would do it all myself BUT freshening the checkering up is out of my skill set... thanks and very best winpoor

WP, my 'Smith is an old friend of mine and is an X military Armorer from the Korean and Vietnam Wars, he loves old Winchesters and Mausers, and none by my doing, moves all my stuff to the front of the line, he just likes to work on my guns I guess. grin

But I could 'feel' your presence......................................eek shockedlol
laugh

Yup.

We is proud of you. whistle grin

When I/We hunt with "The Poohbah" I believe it is written that we must "posses/carry/kill with" a 7X57mm. grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/19/15
It is not written.....

But it is HIGHLY recommended ...... grin

However, a skookum little .303 double fills the bill and offsets a whole safe full of .270s.....
It is not written.....

However, a skookum little .303 double fills the bill and offsets a whole safe full of .270s.....

Oh, come on. The .303 isn't that gay is it??? laugh
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/19/15
A stylish .303 is the antithesis of gay....

And none are more stylish than gunner's double....
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/19/15
Although his .500 NE worked on pigs,or so I've read.
Posted By: battue Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/19/15
I'm

Interesting Battue, I raised the rear sight on my rifle while looking through the peep at the front bead, the notch on the now raised rear sight fell right under to cradle the bead perfectly, kinda fooks with your eye focusing/refocusing on that much potential alignmentgrin, but all looked good, I'll surely see at the bench in a couple months. smile

Mine was on a standard. Hope you don't have to exchange the front. The one on mine seemed to be glued in. Had to go to the smith and bum his pusher to have it start moving.

Same here GSP, those little 150 partitions are some hard quick killers at around 2900, think I've nearly seen bucks wince in pain when catching one. lol

I have to say that a 150gr Nosler Partition Gold ( no longer made unfortunately) is by far the most awesome projectile I have ever seen. 90% weight retention at 100 yards and sub MOA accuracy. Devastating on game from deer to elk. Never had either take more than two steps before tipping over from yardages of 20 to 175.
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor

Wpoor, i can refreshen checkering. If you want pics I can send you some of what I have done on new stocks. Recheckering is pretty easy as the groundwork is already done, all I would have to do is run the files and freshen the lines.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/20/15
It is not written.....

laugh I only have two 270's, so the little 303 should hedge me heavily for awhile....................................maybe.
No, it's British Royalty BSA. grin
A stylish .303 is the antithesis of gay....

And none are more stylish than gunner's double....

Thanks Main!!!!!smile

It worked so well NH-K9 & Rockchucker had to dig a six foot trench in the Tennessee clay to find the bullet after it went through the pig. grin
I'm

Mine was on a standard. Hope you don't have to exchange the front. The one on mine seemed to be glued in. Had to go to the smith and bum his pusher to have it start moving.

Thinkin' this one will come right on Battue, we'll soon see.
Originally Posted by pre6422hornet

I have to say that a 150gr Nosler Partition Gold ( no longer made unfortunately) is by far the most awesome projectile I have ever seen. 90% weight retention at 100 yards and sub MOA accuracy. Devastating on game from deer to elk. Never had either take more than two steps before tipping over from yardages of 20 to 175.

Sounds like a damn dandy bullet Hornet.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/20/15
I'm

I always thought an edged out 270 fwt, with 130's and a receiver sight would be a fun hunt.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15
There is no dust on a 7x57. I have an action and a stock blank and am considering having another one built as a stalking rifle. I don't know what else to do with it unless it was a 25/06.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15
There is no dust on a 7x57. I have an action and a stock blank and am considering having another one built as a stalking rifle. I don't know what else to do with it unless it was a 25/06.

A 7X57mm stalking rifle with a full quarter rib express sight filed dead on with the 175 gr Woodleigh or Partition bullets would be light years ahead of cool, and put the "E" in effective.wink
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15

It worked so well NH-K9 & Rockchucker had to dig a six foot trench in the Tennessee clay to find the bullet after it went through the pig. grin
shocked cool
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15
I'm thinking of having the caliber designated as a 275 Rigby. Hornady is making brass with that head stamp.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15
I like the idea of a receiver sighted bolt rifle in the classic style of turn-of-the-century weapons (20th century, not 21st). However, I just don't see the Model 70 or .270 chambering to be totally "correct".

Much better would be a Mauser in 7x57mm or maybe 9.3x62mm (9x57 or 9.3x57 would serve as well) would be much more in keeping with the "retro" styling. A 1903 Springfield in .30-06 would be nice too (something like Roosevelt carried in his safari).

If you are a hard-core Winchester guy (and I assume you are based on this being the Winchester Collectors sight) a Model 54 in .270 would be much better than a Model 70 for this project......and if you can find them the Barns 170 grain round nose bullets would be my choice.

Your Model 70, in my opinion, should be built as an early scoped rifle.....in classic style with an early Weaver fixed power scope. Something that would have been at home in the late 30's or early 40's. Cutting edge at the time with the scoped sight and .270 caliber.

Posted By: Poconojack Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15
Friend has an 1895 Chilean Mauser in the original 7x57 chambering that was sporterized by Paul Jaeger of Jenkintown, PA in the 1970's. A work of art and perfect stalking rifle at just over 6 lbs. and equipped with a Williams receiver sight....
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/21/15
A scope sighted 270 is still cutting edge....

They were cutting edge when they first came out and they are still damn good... Even better now days with modern bullets and better scopes..
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/22/15
A custom stocked FWT 270 wears a leupold Vari XIII 3.5X10. My little brothers Ruger M77 has an older non descript 3X9 wide angle scope. It was an off brand but that's what he could afford 30+ years ago. I took it to Wyoming a few years ago and shot an Antelope with it in his memory. A STD 270 has a period correct Leupold Vari XII 3X9 and the other FWT is unscoped at this time.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/22/15

A 7X57mm stalking rifle with a full quarter rib express sight filed dead on with the 175 gr Woodleigh or Partition bullets would be light years ahead of cool, and put the "E" in effective.wink

I sure would like to see a picture of that!
Posted By: yooper35 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/22/15
My 1951 Standard 270 wears a Leupold VX II 3-9. Another Leupold, a VX 2-7 is all excited waiting for its 1957 270 FWT to be delivered Monday. I gave up on open sights except for my early lever actions about the time I was prescribed bifocals. The old eyes just don't focus on rear sight, front sight and target all at the same time. frown
yooper
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/22/15
I'm thinking of having the caliber designated as a 275 Rigby. Hornady is making brass with that head stamp.

Even Mo perfect. wink
Originally Posted by TexasRick
I like the idea of a receiver sighted bolt rifle in the classic style of turn-of-the-century weapons (20th century, not 21st). However, I just don't see the Model 70 or .270 chambering to be totally "correct".

Much better would be a Mauser in 7x57mm or maybe 9.3x62mm (9x57 or 9.3x57 would serve as well) would be much more in keeping with the "retro" styling. A 1903 Springfield in .30-06 would be nice too (something like Roosevelt carried in his safari).

If you are a hard-core Winchester guy (and I assume you are based on this being the Winchester Collectors sight) a Model 54 in .270 would be much better than a Model 70 for this project......and if you can find them the Barns 170 grain round nose bullets would be my choice.

Your Model 70, in my opinion, should be built as an early scoped rifle.....in classic style with an early Weaver fixed power scope. Something that would have been at home in the late 30's or early 40's. Cutting edge at the time with the scoped sight and .270 caliber.

TR, this rifle came with the old Lyman receiver already mounted, it's to pretty to disturb, it has the bluing rubbed off the corners kinda like the rifle steel, they look good together.
As I stated earlier, this rifle came with a Buehler mount ring set up, it has two knurled wheels at the rear of the base for elevation, the 2.5-8 Bausch & Lomb scope doesn't have any internal adjustments, for all I know this scope and mount ring set could be close to period correct for this 1961 year model Featherweight.
Friend has an 1895 Chilean Mauser in the original 7x57 chambering that was sporterized by Paul Jaeger of Jenkintown, PA in the 1970's. A work of art and perfect stalking rifle at just over 6 lbs. and equipped with a Williams receiver sight....

SWEET!!!!!

They were cutting edge when they first came out and they are still damn good... Even better now days with modern bullets and better scopes..

150 Partitions at 2900 and 10X is pretty cutting, eh BSA? grin
A custom stocked FWT 270 wears a leupold Vari XIII 3.5X10. My little brothers Ruger M77 has an older non descript 3X9 wide angle scope. It was an off brand but that's what he could afford 30+ years ago. I took it to Wyoming a few years ago and shot an Antelope with it in his memory. A STD 270 has a period correct Leupold Vari XII 3X9 and the other FWT is unscoped at this time.

I like old glass on old rifles 'if' it's good dependable glass GSP, my old super grade in 300 H&H wears a steel tubed Weaver 4-12x40mm with A.O., an older version of long reach so to speak. lol
Originally Posted by RevMike

I sure would like to see a picture of that!

I bet we will in a year or so. smile
Originally Posted by yooper35
My 1951 Standard 270 wears a Leupold VX II 3-9. Another Leupold, a VX 2-7 is all excited waiting for its 1957 270 FWT to be delivered Monday. I gave up on open sights except for my early lever actions about the time I was prescribed bifocals. The old eyes just don't focus on rear sight, front sight and target all at the same time. frown
yooper

Good luck with your new rifle yooper, I hope she makes you a dandy, still holding at a non-corrected 20/20 so maybe I can hunt the irons for a few more years.
You having one built, Gunner?
You having one built, Gunner?

No, GSP's mulling a 275 Rigby build.
Ah. I thought you both might put one together. I'm trying to figure out if I want to do something like that to my either my Fwt or a Zastava M98. I could certainly do it to my MRC ASR except MRC's No. 2 contour barrel is pretty heavy. The Zastava has a light contour barrel, like the Featherweight. An alternative might be talking my brother-in-law out of his absolutely beautiful Cabela M70 7x57, adding a quarter-rib, banded front sight, and maybe some steel bottom metal. Think I might be onto something?
Yes, put the trick on your BIL. grin
That's what I've been thinking. I just gotta figure out how to pull it off. confused
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/22/15
An alternative might be talking my brother-in-law out of his absolutely beautiful Cabela M70 7x57, adding a quarter-rib, banded front sight, and maybe some steel bottom metal. Think I might be onto something?

Nahhhhhhhhh...

Its been done.

We know it as "The Ingwe Special". grin

[Linked Image]
Yeah, Ingwe, you're right.

But it's in your gun cabinet, not mine. frown
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/22/15
Don't forget the ebony forend........ grin
Yeah, I know.

frown
The rifle project will get started this winter. I'm considering upgrading the wood. The same smith that did the Ruger #1 pictured in the your other rifles thread will do the work. Until it's done I'll just have to use the M70 7MM smile
Gunner I like the older glass as well. I have a std Hornet with a Kollmorgan 6X with a target dot. it will go west with me for prairie dogs this summer or early fall. A 7MM carbine wears an old Redfield 2x-7x widefield, I wish I could find another one for the 300 Savage.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/23/15
Sounds like You have a very nice plan in the works GSP, can't wait to see the finished rifle, AND it again, leaning upside dead animals. smile
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 07/24/15
Gunner I have the rifle built in my head and as I mentioned it will get started this winter. I think I'll probably go with another nicer blank for the stock. I'm kicking around engraving the floor plate and grip cap and maybe the scope rings.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/12/15
Gunner I have the rifle built in my head and as I mentioned it will get started this winter. I think I'll probably go with another nicer blank for the stock. I'm kicking around engraving the floor plate and grip cap and maybe the scope rings.

Perhaps a nice slim stick of very nice English? With tasteful engraving of the mentioned pieces, it would make an outstanding one of a kind rifle.

Hollered at my Bud on my FW today, he stated, it's moving right along. smile
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/12/15
I've narrowed down the blank to one of 6 pieces of very nice English. Ill be ordering it in a couple of weeks along with a shotgun blank.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/18/15
Bet it's gonna be beautiful, my pea brain is causing me to consider installing the scope set-up that came with my FW, I would really hate to walk back to camp and have to announce that I couldn't shoot that big buck at 300 yards because of light conditions or similar. cry
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/18/15
Yet you don't worry about .270 bullets bouncing off.....
Yet you don't worry about .270 bullets bouncing off.....

The only thing 150 NPT's at 2900 have done is send me to the shop to sharpen my skinning knives. shocked grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/18/15
I believe you, and contrary to what some will tell you, YOU are the only creature that bullets will not penetrate grin
You will "NOT" smoke a turd in hell for that........................................................................if I may be permitted to quote Your Highness? blush laugh
Posted By: beretzs Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/21/15
I hope you run some 160's with the receiver sight Gunner. That combo just oozes cool. Hope the refinish turns out well.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 08/22/15
Originally Posted by beretzs
I hope you run some 160's with the receiver sight Gunner. That combo just oozes cool. Hope the refinish turns out well.

I have to give that combo a shot B, after all, I ordered either 4 or 6 boxes of the 160 NPT's. smile

Talked to my 'Smith again last Friday, he said it will be ready to pick up in a couple weeks.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 09/04/15
Got her back today, put it back together, all is well, I can now fully understand why you guys like these little FW rifles, a clear understanding that will be more so upon firing. cool
Looks very nice gunner. You are going to love packing that one around in the woods. I'll bet it is a shooter too...
Gunner, did your smith glass bed it and freefloat the barrel? Mine shoot much better after doing this..
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 09/05/15
Many thanks BSA, hope the cell pics were at least somewhat visible. smile

No, I didn't ask him to bed and float, will try it like it is first, if I can keep the receiver sight holding 2" groups at 100 I'll be good in this case.

If I install the scope one day and have a need for more reach and accuracy then a definite bed and float may be in order, triggers a might heavy on this one now too, don't think it's ever been fooled with.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Featherweight Quandary - 09/06/15
Okay Men, ran some of the 160 gr NPT's with H-4831 yesterday through my new to me FW 270 with the receiver peep sight.

Fired four rounds to get the bullet strike to land an inch/inch and a half or so high at 100 yards with a 6 o'clock hold on a silver spray painted circle, let the barrel cool and fired a 1.35" three shot group, Don't believe I can shoot receiver/peep sights any more accurate than that.

The 160 gr NPT's clocked 2768 fps with the charge of H-4831 from the skinny 22" barrel, so loaded, will allow me to hold dead on deer heart all the way to 225 yards, with a non bedded and floated rifle with a heavy [guessing 5lbs] trigger, I'm not gonna fool with it, just practice, I don't believe ANY critter will know, or care, that the 160 Partitions are leaving at a moderate, yet I believe to be very effective speed of only 2768 fps.
All in all I'm very happy with this little rifle, also, going to let the rifle set a few days and with a completely clean cool barrel go fire one round at 100 to check for repeatability.
Posted By: patbrennan Re: Featherweight Quandary - 09/06/15
Very nice, you are set for some fun. Wish my eyes were still good enough for iron sights, but it would have to be shotgun range now!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Featherweight Quandary - 09/06/15
That sounds like something a guy might take on an Axis hunt... wink
Okay Men, ran some of the 160 gr NPT's with H-4831 yesterday through my new to me FW 270 with the receiver peep sight.

Fired four rounds to get the bullet strike to land an inch/inch and a half or so high at 100 yards with a 6 o'clock hold on a silver spray painted circle, let the barrel cool and fired a 1.35" three shot group, Don't believe I can shoot receiver/peep sights any more accurate than that.

The 160 gr NPT's clocked 2768 fps with the charge of H-4831 from the skinny 22" barrel, so loaded, will allow me to hold dead on deer heart all the way to 225 yards, with a non bedded and floated rifle with a heavy [guessing 5lbs] trigger, I'm not gonna fool with it, just practice, I don't believe ANY critter will know, or care, that the 160 Partitions are leaving at a moderate, yet I believe to be very effective speed of only 2768 fps.
All in all I'm very happy with this little rifle, also, going to let the rifle set a few days and with a completely clean cool barrel go fire one round at 100 to check for repeatability.

Gunner, everything looks damn good except for the trigger. The nice thing about the pre 64 model 70 trigger is it is extremely easy to adjust. Polish the sear and throw a lighter spring in there and you'll be down to 2.5 pounds easily. I hate excessively heavy triggers. It has a profound effect on my field position shooting. YMMV, but most of my friends feel the same about heavy triggers.. Good luck with your beautiful fwt and knock the critters dead with it my friend. cool
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Very nice, you are set for some fun. Wish my eyes were still good enough for iron sights, but it would have to be shotgun range now!

Can't wait till opening morning to employ this little burner Pat, and yes, I'm very thankful to have clear vision at this semi advanced stage of life.
That sounds like something a guy might take on an Axis hunt... wink

Who stole your password? are you dead, or just partly resurrected? grin

I must be dead if I think a guy could kill a deer with any .270...even a skookum one.....
BSA, thanks for the tips on the trigger, I fully agree, I very purposefully and as straight back as I could aim my trigger finger toward the base of my thumb fired this rifle, it was a very deliberate act and one I DON'T like to have to do, a heavy trigger to me, only gets worse if we try to finesse them as we would a good clean 2lb hunting rifle trigger.

I have to believe the 1.3" group was a fluke, I'll have plenty more opportunities to see that to a conclusion, if I can average 2"s with the receiver sight I'll still be good. smile
I must be dead if I think a guy could kill a deer with any .270...even a skookum one.....

laugh, it may indeed suffice an Axis given enough light.
There will be enough light.

I will see to it. Shot both mine in plenty of good light last spring...as did everyone else.

I been gone for a few days, fishing in Canada, eh!
In that case I'll bring her along, fishin' in Canada? where's ET with that you TURBO suck pic? laugh

Been sweating like a death row chain gang here today on the mower and brush-hog, bet you haven't had to break a sweat today, lucky dog.
"break a sweat"...what is this "break a sweat" you speak of???? grin
You got it made in da shade Poobs, I'm a mere peasant at this slave encampment I call a farm. grin
A peasant .......sheesh.

You also pretend to be a dumb good old boy, but you can't pull that off either! laugh

Your intelligence shows through, no matter how hard you try to conceal it....
I had a mirror on my forehead, you were merely studying yourself. laugh
OK...I'll buy that...I look like a peasant.

At least you've had a "downtown" haircut in the last decade. grin
laugh, Can't wait till May Ingwe, a nice pre summer break for fun.
© 24hourcampfire