Home
Posted By: Classic270 M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/24/15
Learned colleagues:

What makes a pre-64 M70 an Alaskan or a Westerner? Is it the chambering that automatically designates it or are there special features found on the rifles referred to as "Alaskan" and Westerner"?

Thank you,

Ken
One think I think makes them different was the Westerner came with a 26 inch barrel and the Alaskan a 25.. 24 was std. for most calibers except the H & H was 26.
The Westerner was chambered in .264 Win mag and it had a 26" barrel. The Alaskan was chambered in .338 Win mag and .375 H&H and they had a 25" barrel.

And then they offered a "Featherweight Westerner" in 264 with. 22" bbl. it was no different than the other FWTs, except for the chambering.
The featherweight Westerner also had a butt pad, which made it different then the other fwt's.
Originally Posted by robertacabin
The featherweight Westerner also had a butt pad, which made it different then the other fwt's.
Think the butt pad was an added on after the person bought it. Rule does not mention it in his book.

Also the Westerner Featherweight was offered in 1963 only,along with the Westerner-Alaskan in .300 Win mag.
Posted By: Freddy Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/24/15
I own a westerner, it's my favorite antelope rifle.
elk, lots of info. there.. I am not a hard core model 70 man, but that kind of stuff is good info.. I am thinking of trading my super grade 300wsm for a Win. Mag.. Much better wood.. Always something..
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Think the butt pad was an added on after the person bought it. Rule does not mention it in his book.

Also the Westerner Featherweight was offered in 1963 only,along with the Westerner-Alaskan in .300 Win mag.

Better think again... You did, however, nail the rest of it.... wink
Posted By: donsm70 Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/24/15

Westerner Featherweight in .264 Win Mag certainly did come with a factory recoil pad. (See Rule's book on pages 233 and 234.)

donsm70
Let me help with the Westerner part.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: GSPfan Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/25/15
If memory serves me correctly my 264 FWT has a factory pad and the my std 264 does not.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/25/15
Originally Posted by GSPfan
If memory serves me correctly my 264 FWT has a factory pad and the my std 264 does not.

That would/should be correct.

donsm70
Originally Posted by donsm70

Westerner Featherweight in .264 Win Mag certainly did come with a factory recoil pad. (See Rule's book on pages 233 and 234.)

donsm70
Yup,it did. looked on the wrong page. blush
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/31/15
Here is my Alaskan

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It didn't have the front sight hood but was otherwise as is.
Everyone needs an Alaskan. Nice rifle Scotty...
Posted By: GSPfan Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 07/31/15
I just got my first a couple of weeks ago. Nice rifle indeed.
Scotty, that's beautiful!
Posted By: 79S Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/03/15
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree mines a model 70 extreme weather in the much hated 325 wsm or model 70 stainless in a 338 wsm or model 70 stainless Classic in a 375 H&H.. Everyone needs a rifle for Alaska
Posted By: GSPfan Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/03/15
I think what BSA was referring to was everybody needs a pre64 Alaskan:). Nothing wrong with a 325 WSM just no nostalgia there.
I think what BSA was referring to was everybody needs a pre64 Alaskan:). Nothing wrong with a 325 WSM just no nostalgia there.

Exactamundo....^^^^^^^ laugh
Originally Posted by 79S

I agree mines a model 70 extreme weather in the much hated 325 wsm or model 70 stainless in a 338 wsm or model 70 stainless Classic in a 375 H&H.. Everyone needs a rifle for Alaska

Those would all definitely suffice, but there's only one "Alaskan" and it is chambered in 338 win mag. Kind of like this '59 I sold to EricM here a while back:

[Linked Image]

My custom 338 win mag doesn't even have the soul these old Alaskans have... cool
Posted By: EricM Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/03/15
Cool pic, BSA! smile

It's gotta be soon…. I have to send Gene a note.

Eric
Can't wait to see it my friend. You now Gene is probably trying to make that bedding look damn good on that echols. You know he doesn't want the wood stock looking better than the custom he's installing... laugh . I also can't wait for you to shoot the bad boy. I'm curious to see how she shoots for you. Hopefully shrink those groups down from what I was shooting.. wink
Posted By: 79S Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/04/15
Originally Posted by 79S

Those would all definitely suffice, but there's only one "Alaskan" and it is chambered in 338 win mag. Kind of like this '59 I sold to EricM here a while back:

[Linked Image]

My custom 338 win mag doesn't even have the soul these old Alaskans have... cool

I have wandered through many moose camps during my time in good ol Alaska I have yet to see one of these fine rifles in a camp not saying they are not out there.. I did see 4 of them at the Cabelas in Anchorage though.. I have seen a sporterized lee-enfield in the good ol 303 though while moose hunting, we were in the unit 13 out past the middlefork of the gulkana close the to Alphabets and it was pissing rain for two days straight and this guy didn't have a care in the world about his rifle.. Thought that was pretty cool ... Anyhow good looking rifles
Posted By: EricM Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/04/15
Can't wait to see it my friend. You now Gene is probably trying to make that bedding look damn good on that echols. You know he doesn't want the wood stock looking better than the custom he's installing... laugh . I also can't wait for you to shoot the bad boy. I'm curious to see how she shoots for you. Hopefully shrink those groups down from what I was shooting.. wink
I'm not going to rush him! lol. It was already a good shooter but I'm also curious how it'll do with the rebed.

Eric
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/21/15
Eric, I restocked my Alaskan with a McMillan as you've seen and it has been ultra consistent since then. Some folks may think I'm crazy but I can bang away with my 338 without drama. I have said it before but I love my Alaskan. Since having this rifle, it's been pretty easy to "think" of being without the others. It'll shoot everything from 200's to 275's very well, carries well and just makes a guy smile when they cycle the bolt. It made me a believer.
Is the 300 win mag a Westerner as well! v best WinPoor
Posted By: EricM Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/21/15
Originally Posted by beretzs
Eric, I restocked my Alaskan with a McMillan as you've seen and it has been ultra consistent since then. Some folks may think I'm crazy but I can bang away with my 338 without drama. I have said it before but I love my Alaskan. Since having this rifle, it's been pretty easy to "think" of being without the others. It'll shoot everything from 200's to 275's very well, carries well and just makes a guy smile when they cycle the bolt. It made me a believer.

Awesome to hear! I sent Gene an email yesterday checking in on the build. McMillan was about 4 months out in terms of producing a stock, which was the major holdup. I sold a rifle last week and am now exclusively into pre-64s. LoL.

Eric
Posted By: GSPfan Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/21/15
While I love the Pre 64 M70 and there are a few of them I just can't claim exclusivity to them smile. I have a penchant for custom rifles as well.
Originally Posted by EricM

Awesome to hear! I sent Gene an email yesterday checking in on the build. McMillan was about 4 months out in terms of producing a stock, which was the major holdup. I sold a rifle last week and am now exclusively into pre-64s. LoL.

Eric

Exclusively huh? Laughing laugh. I'm going that way myself. I'm surprised you got rid of your BRNO 375 H&H if that's the one that went bye bye... sick. I also feel the same as Beretzs about shooting the 338 Alaskan. I shot 50 rounds with the rifle I sold you in one sitting. She sure is a sweetheart and will hopefully be better with the legend stock.
Posted By: EricM Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/21/15

Eric

Exclusively huh? Laughing laugh. I'm going that way myself. I'm surprised you got rid of your BRNO 375 H&H if that's the one that went bye bye... sick. I also feel the same as Beretzs about shooting the 338 Alaskan. I shot 50 rounds with the rifle I sold you in one sitting. She sure is a sweetheart and will hopefully be better with the legend stock.

We had a car die recently so I sold my 270 Wby to raise funds. I also had to cancel the TX hunt this year… real bummer, but I have to get things in order. I'm going to try to do something local on the cheap this year.

The BRNO 375 is back with the original owner. I'd like to buy it back one day. Cool gun. I think he has a bear hunt planned. cool

I'm down to my '47 Roger Rule 270 WCF, the '51 30-06 and '59 338. I've owned a lot of cool guns over the years but find that I really enjoy the pre-64s best. I think these three will cover anything in NA.

Eric
Posted By: GSPfan Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/22/15
I take comfort in knowing I can hunt anything from a Chipmunk to an Elephant with the proper rifle:) IMHO a 338 is one of the most versatile calibers there is.
Posted By: beretzs Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/22/15
I take comfort in knowing I can hunt anything from a Chipmunk to an Elephant with the proper rifle:) IMHO a 338 is one of the most versatile calibers there is.

Couldn't agree more GSP. I enjoy the 338 Win quite a lot.

Eric, your trio of rifles is about as cool as they come. I've only got 1 Pre64 (Alaskan) and a slew of Classics but they'd all go before I got rid of the 338.

Eric

We had a car die recently so I sold my 270 Wby to raise funds. I also had to cancel the TX hunt this year… real bummer, but I have to get things in order. I'm going to try to do something local on the cheap this year.

The BRNO 375 is back with the original owner. I'd like to buy it back one day. Cool gun. I think he has a bear hunt planned. cool

I'm down to my '47 Roger Rule 270 WCF, the '51 30-06 and '59 338. I've owned a lot of cool guns over the years but find that I really enjoy the pre-64s best. I think these three will cover anything in NA.

Eric

That's funny. You are down to 2 of my old favorites and 1 Roger Rule rifle. In a way, I'm kind of honored by that fact.. grin I also think you are right about those 3 serving your needs very well. Let me know if you are ever in the market for a nice pre 64 375 H&H to finish off your collection. By the way, I hate car trouble as well!!!! Had a terrible bout of that in the last 6 months sick

Amen. It is one of my favorites too!!!!

Eric, your trio of rifles is about as cool as they come. I've only got 1 Pre64 (Alaskan) and a slew of Classics but they'd all go before I got rid of the 338.

This^^^^^^ I just sold one of my favorite classics to 79s here. He got a great rifle, but I'm narrowing it down to mostly pre 64's. I still have my tack driving CZ 550 American 9.3x62mm and my target/varmint 223 rem Ruger m77 mkII. Next one on the list to get rid of is the 9.3... blush
Posted By: GSPfan Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/22/15
I SHOULD narrow things down some but it's just to dam difficult. I know where there is the nicest std M70 270 as far as the metal goes anywhere. It's 95%+ the stock is crap. BUT there is an original stock with the gun with a reproduction pad that isn't to bad BUT I know where an uncut stock is. I have 4 270's but this one begs to be rescued. I'm hopeless and will NEVER complete the 12 step program.
I SHOULD narrow things down some but it's just to dam difficult. I know where there is the nicest std M70 270 as far as the metal goes anywhere. It's 95%+ the stock is crap. BUT there is an original stock with the gun with a reproduction pad that isn't to bad BUT I know where an uncut stock is. I have 4 270's but this one begs to be rescued. I'm hopeless and will NEVER complete the 12 step program.

When I was looking for a 270 fwt, I kept coming across nice std. wt 270's. It's like they were growing on trees around here... The 270 fwt is the only one I really wanted, but took 3 years to find it.. eek
Posted By: EricM Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/22/15

Eric

Eric

That's funny. You are down to 2 of my old favorites and 1 Roger Rule rifle. In a way, I'm kind of honored by that fact.. grin I also think you are right about those 3 serving your needs very well. Let me know if you are ever in the market for a nice pre 64 375 H&H to finish off your collection. By the way, I hate car trouble as well!!!! Had a terrible bout of that in the last 6 months sick

I think we share the same good taste in rifles! LoL wink I remember you had some car trouble recently. I bought a new car on 8/6, and our family's 2nd car died maybe a week afterwards. So I bought 2 cars within 2 weeks. cry

Don't tempt me with that pre-64 375! LoL I was close to buying Roger Rule's Lion Gun last year, but it didn't have the history with him like the 270 (his favorite rifle for 35 years).

Eric
Posted By: EricM Re: M70 Alaskan and Westerner - 08/22/15

Too cool! cool

Gene told me my stock arrived last week, so he's working on the 338 build now!

Eric
© 24hourcampfire